Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Abe's basic beach top 100 albums playlist listen

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Default Abe's basic beach top 100 albums playlist listen

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0x...882f13946a4b5e

I made a playlist of Abe's top 100 albums. Northman said Abe had shite taste so I felt it needed to be proved.

So. Each song. Yes or no--top 100 album song? Not sure what this means, but I think you do. I reserve the right to use other descriptors, such as "meh" or "eh" or "um".

I'll listen to four songs a day over the next year because that's all the suck I can handle in a day. That will be all 100 albums. Hopefully I don't repeat anything.

Random, ofc.

0. Excursions, Tribe - Yes

1. Fistful of Steel, RATM - IDK, probs, -ish, sorta

2. Hey, Pixies - Eh

3. Twin Falls, Built to Spill - Erm, aite

4. We Looked Like Giants, Death Cab - Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Lit

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

5. Cool Breeze on the Rocks, De La Soul - This is a skit segment. So it definitely counts. Albums with cool skits are rad when they work, like 3' High does.

6. Like Dylan in the Movies, Belle & Sebastian - Yes, even if the singer sounds like a pride rainbow. It's pretty!

7. Sympathy for the Devil, Stones - Yes, a million times yes.

8. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, Led Zep - JFC LIST IS OP!!!!!

(•_•)

I will not be bound by any "4 a day" rule, especially when I am super familiar with the songs already.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

9. White Freightliner Blues, TVZ - Eh. I like him ok.

10. Distant Stations, Mountain Goats - Maybe, but probably not. But Darnielle, so maybe.

11. Paul Revere, Beasties - wub wub wub wubbub it

12. Two Girls, TVZ - ok, he's a lyricist, I get it now
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I figured out how to not duplicate a listen. I have two additional playlists. One with the "new" stuff and one with the "listened" stuff. So I move it over from one to the other.

NEW:
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/18...c5161ecd0b4e2e

DONE:
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1Q...bece0bb693476e

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Yes, I realize albums work end to end better than randomly.

But this is Soviet Union. Albums listen to you.

ノ┬─┬ノ ︵ ( \o°o)\

7. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Yes, I realize albums work end to end better than randomly.
    This is true, especially when it comes to that TVZ album, it's more of a whole experience than a standalone songs situation. Works best if you listen to the whole thing while driving through New Mexico.

But I like the approach and am interested to see which songs stand on their own out of context and which songs can't hang.

9. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

13. All Too Well, TSwiz - Meh. I am really getting into Ms Swizzle tho. This one could really grow on me tbh tho. She's got a trueheart vibe I love. This one too earnest and not enough hooks. Nice song. Maybs.

14. Take My Breath, Thee WKND - So. I like this guy. He covered a Siouxsie song. He's aite. Having said that... This song? Good EQ. Nice sound landscape. The bass is dope. It's a very... well produced song. As a Beatles and Pink Floyd guy, I truly appreciate this. Is it a top 100 album song? I won't say nah. I won't say yes.

15. Hey Stephen, TSwizzler - Ooo. This is close to a yes. Damn...this girl got soooooo much game.

16. For Sure, American Football - Yes. I am somewhat familiar with American Football, and am a fan, but not familiar with this song. This song is my taste and I'll 'yes' it.

17. [some song by TVZ, I can tell right away, not gonna look at the name yet] - Yes. This dude has lyrics for days. Poet. Genuine shit here, absolute yes. (ed note: the song is Rex's Blues)

18. [some ultra pretentious song title], Bright Eyes - JFC. How many whiny ass white boys with guitars do we have to wade through in this list? I guess I'll deal with Prine and TVZ but now I have to do the pansy ass version, too? No. Sorry. No. I think I like Connor O, but sorry. No. This is not top 100 work. This is not White Album. Ok wait. It got kinda full-bodied all of a sudden. Ok. Doesn't suck as bad. Bright Eyes, I have my eyes on you.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Oh. The Bright Eyes song was called You Will? You? Will. You? Will. You? Will.

Or some such punctuation. PS I own this album.

I don't want to hate any artist. I have a certain whine threshold. Maybe it's too sensitive. Maybe I should embrace the whine.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Oh. The Bright Eyes song was called You Will? You? Will. You? Will. You? Will.

Or some such punctuation. PS I own this album.

I don't want to hate any artist. I have a certain whine threshold. Maybe it's too sensitive. Maybe I should embrace the whine.
    If it helps, he is probably the most whiny voiced artist I have on the list. And if you've heard that album, you already know there's at least 3 wimpier songs on there.

I'm a sucker for folky, countryish emo shit. You like Bon Iver, you should be able to relate.

14. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

20. Quiet Man, Prine - There are like 500 Dylans on this playlist. Townes Van Dylan, Bruce Dylanspring, Dylan Eyes, The Mountain Dylans, Taylor Dylan, and Bob Prine. That's good! Dylan is good! Bob Prine can singersongwrite!

21. It's Me, Dino Jr. - I hardly know this band. Already it kicks ass. This is A+ music and no question to me this is a quality/substance song on a top 100 album. I think this is also the Mascis guitarist dude, and I figured I'd like him a ton. I really, really do. Almost an ideal guitarist--tone, hooks, ear candy, crunchy rhythm, technicals, he's the full package.

Addendum...this song is way harder/sludgier than I expected. Northman needs to add this to his 'Abe has three good albums in this 100 album list' in my opinion.

22. Undone The Sweater Song, Weez - I know this song very well, my band covered it for a brief bit, and the Blue Album is a top 100 album, we can move on. Is it a top 100 album song? Hm. If not, it's close.

23. Paranoid, ye - this is a first listen. I know a bit about Kanye West. 3 mins in, a bit repetitive but I really dig it. Love this little harmony bit. There's enough to feed on. I can't yes it, but I can let loose a ready 'meh'.

16. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

24. Old Soul Song, Bright Eyes - Less whiny. Still meh. Which means it's aite. I like Conor's stuff. He's all tortured and shit.

25. Take These Chains From My Heart, Hank Dylliams - Nice voice. Hm. Maybe.

26. To Here Knows When, my bloody valentine - This album, which should have been the soundtrack to my junior or senior year in high school, for it perfectly captures my ethos and taste, has only recently come under my thumb. Yes.

27. Everything Happens To Me, Thelonious Monk - Jazz piano. It's no Bach, but it's tolerable.

28. 22, Taylor - Love her. Guess you do or don't. I'll say yeah. Not a yes. A yeah.

18. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    If it helps, he is probably the most whiny voiced artist I have on the list. And if you've heard that album, you already know there's at least 3 wimpier songs on there.

I'm a sucker for folky, countryish emo shit. You like Bon Iver, you should be able to relate.
    Not sure what I think about Bright Eyes--is it great, or annoying? That's the question I usually think, and I'm not decided.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

PS I renumbered so all the songs numbered 0 thru 19 are +1, so that the total number of songs works out.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Not sure what I think about Bright Eyes--is it great, or annoying? That's the question I usually think, and I'm not decided.
    His voice is very love it or hate it. So if you hate his voice, it’s gotta ruin the whole thing.

22. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    His voice is very love it or hate it. So if you hate his voice, it’s gotta ruin the whole thing.
    Spot on. I feel like I'm listening to this plaintive thing that I can't ignore, and it makes sense, and I wanna help, but I'm also thinking 'deal with your shit bro', but then I correct myself and think 'ugh, he sorta makes sense tho.'

It's sort of exhausting in a way, but also interesting because he holds the thread fr.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information