Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40

Thread: 40th anniversary article about the Elway trade

  1. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I think you could have dropped Lynch into an 80s/90s 49ers team and he'd still have stunk but otherwise yeah the other picks I think could have gone either way. I'll just never understand the Lynch pick. The stuff about his attitude and laziness was apparently known at Memphis, how do you not do better research on a guy? Or maybe they just had the "we can fix him" mindset and were willing to overlook it. I don't care how talented you are, if you don't have an obsession with playing and getting better at football, you just aren't going to succeed at QB.

    That's the only draft pick Elway made that I found truly unredeemable. Even other busts like Ray or Lock at least seemed to care about football and show flashes, they just couldn't put it all together.
    There was an article on a draft website (that doesn't exist) that didn't put Lynch in a favorable light. The author basically wrote that you would need to take a QB in two years if you drafted him (which is what could have happened. The Broncos were looking at Allen and liked Darnold, but didn't get either).

    Also, if Lynch was so great, why didn't Cleveland take him with the 15th pick? Or the Jets (they took Crappenberg in the second round) with the 20th pick? That should have been a red flag, and the Broncos didn't see that. They took him, KC (who wanted Lynch) got Mahomes a year later, and the rest has been history.

  2. #17

    Default

    Paxton Lynch was always such an odd pick to me. Elways infatuation with tall projects was a 'stretch' that never paid dividends.

  3. The Following User High Fived Bronco Yoda For This Post:


  4. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    6-3/215
    Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn
    Posts
    37,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
    Paxton Lynch was always such an odd pick to me. Elways infatuation with tall projects was a 'stretch' that never paid dividends.
    I mean, everyone else hates height in QB’s, amirite?
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

    Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

  5. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    6-3/215
    Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn
    Posts
    37,022

    Default

    6’6”, mobile with great arm talent . . . what the **** was Elway thinking?

    Meanwhile, Case Siemian still has zero NFL viability.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

    Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

  6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:


  7. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Adopted Bronco:
    DT
    Posts
    41,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    6’6”, mobile with great arm talent . . . what the **** was Elway thinking?

    Meanwhile, Case Siemian still has zero NFL viability.
    I don't get the "unforgiveable" take regarding drafting him. IT wasn't a great pick, sure, as it didn't pan out but the guy had talent and a viable skillset. Paxton's problem was he didn't work hard enough, there's a lot of early 20s young men throughout history with the same problem that turned that around with the right mentors, bosses, etc.

  8. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I mean, everyone else hates height in QB’s, amirite?
    He was a mental/heart midget... negating any PHYSICAL height. Elway should have known better.

    ...and I'm the biggest Elway Homer there is...

  9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Bronco Yoda For This Post:


  10. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    only Von
    Posts
    37,175

    Default

    Jaded loved Paxton Tebow? That's a plot twist.

  11. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble
    Posts
    53,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Jaded loved Paxton Tebow? That's a plot twist.
    Paxton Lynch wishes he had half of Tebow's NFL success.

  12. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:


  13. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed
    Posts
    13,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I was arguing with someone on Twitter the other day who called Elway's tenure as GM a "disaster".

    Just total stupidity. Give me a "disaster" that results in a ring any day of the week.

    I think it's totally fair to bring up his whiffs on head coaching hires and QB acquisitions after Manning, and the repeated failures of those two things are probably what ultimately did him in. But on the whole, his stint as GM was a roaring success and should be regarded as such.
    I would take Elway the GM back in a heartbeat today over Paton.

  14. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed
    Posts
    13,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I think you could have dropped Lynch into an 80s/90s 49ers team and he'd still have stunk but otherwise yeah the other picks I think could have gone either way. I'll just never understand the Lynch pick. The stuff about his attitude and laziness was apparently known at Memphis, how do you not do better research on a guy? Or maybe they just had the "we can fix him" mindset and were willing to overlook it. I don't care how talented you are, if you don't have an obsession with playing and getting better at football, you just aren't going to succeed at QB.

    That's the only draft pick Elway made that I found truly unredeemable. Even other busts like Ray or Lock at least seemed to care about football and show flashes, they just couldn't put it all together.
    Lynch was a true bust in every way, he just didn't care about football.

  15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:


  16. #26
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel
    Posts
    86,787

    Default

    The Lynch pick was nothing more than desperation but it was painfully obvious he was going to fail at the pro level to anyone with a brain and a pair of eyes.

  17. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:


  18. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble
    Posts
    53,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    I would take Elway the GM back in a heartbeat today over Paton.
    I don't think I would. As great as it was in the beginning, he lost his touch toward the end. And there were reports that his heart wasn't all the way in it anymore. He had a great run as GM, but I think he stepped aside at the right time.

  19. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    5,280
    Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!
    Posts
    43,940

    Default


  20. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Adopted Bronco:
    DT
    Posts
    41,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I don't think I would. As great as it was in the beginning, he lost his touch toward the end. And there were reports that his heart wasn't all the way in it anymore. He had a great run as GM, but I think he stepped aside at the right time.
    Knowing when to walk away is an important trait

  21. The Following 5 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:


  22. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed
    Posts
    13,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I don't think I would. As great as it was in the beginning, he lost his touch toward the end. And there were reports that his heart wasn't all the way in it anymore. He had a great run as GM, but I think he stepped aside at the right time.
    your not wrong but I dislike Paton a lot, I'm actually not sure how he still has a job (Hackett alone should have gotten him fired). Elway did lose touch, and your right it was clear he had been worn out by the grind.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-03-2015, 03:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group