Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 40th anniversary article about the Elway trade

Default 40th anniversary article about the Elway trade

"The shock waves may never subside": https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/t...ranchise-alter

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived 7DnBrnc53 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Without JFE this organization is dogshit . . . the criticism we sling at him preposterous.

Fight me!
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

4. The Following 8 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Damn. I agree with Jaded! Life as we know it has ceased to exist!

6. The Following 5 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Not every team has a quarterback that took it to five Super Bowls, winning two of them, and then later making all the necessary moves to help it win another.
    Hopefully every fan within Broncos Country can help send Elway off with two words and two words only...

Thank you.

8. The Following 5 Users High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiemac87 View Post
    Not every team has a quarterback that took it to five Super Bowls, winning two of them, and then later making all the necessary moves to help it win another.
    Hopefully every fan within Broncos Country can help send Elway off with two words and two words only...

Thank you.

Can I say “Thank you, John.” Or is that too wordy?

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Yes. Thank-you.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Only the football illiterate would criticize JFE’s playing career, don’t give these ass holes the time of day.

As for JFE the GM; he built the best offense the league has ever seen and when that fell just short of the Chip he shifted gears and built one of the best defense the league has ever seen (No thanks for Gary Kubiak) . . . just two seasons in between. He built the culture of those great teams, he guided the ship, gave them an identity. Just when this organization needed him most, he stepped in and wiped his ass with the embarrassment of Josh McDaniels and Tebowmania.

Broncos fans that criticize JFE literally only have a few bad draft picks and personnel decisions (which I believe is the result of coaching input, ie; Vance Joseph and Ty Sampro were Kubiak’s boys), these are legitimate criticisms, the venom and pungent butthurt associated with those criticisms are simply nothing but petulant and pretentious. You people aren’t special, you’re not insightful and you’re not cutting edge or “brutally honest” . . . You’re an embarrassment.
    Last edited by Simple Jaded; 05-14-2023 at 07:35 PM.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Only the football illiterate would criticize JFE’s playing career, don’t give these ass holes the time of day.
    I have dealt with those type of people on Football's Future. They would constantly call Elway overrated. In 2014, they had a thread called Was John Elway Actually Good?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by 7DnBrnc53 View Post
    I have dealt with those type of people on Football's Future. They would constantly call Elway overrated. In 2014, they had a thread called Was John Elway Actually Good?
    Hold my beer.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post

As for JFE the GM; he built the best offense the league has ever seen and when that fell just short of the Chip he shifted gears and built one of the best defense the league has ever seen (No thanks for Gary Kubiak) . . . just two seasons in between. He built the culture of those great teams, he guided the ship, gave them an identity. Just when this organization needed him most, he stepped in and wiped his ass with the embarrassment of Josh McDaniels and Tebowmania.

Broncos fans that criticize JFE literally only have a few bad draft picks and personnel decisions (which I believe is the result of coaching input, ie; Vance Joseph and Ty Sampro were Kubiak’s boys), these are legitimate criticisms, the venom and pungent butthurt associated with those criticisms are simply nothing but petulant and pretentious. You people aren’t special, you’re not insightful and you’re not cutting edge or “brutally honest” . . . You’re an embarrassment.
    I was arguing with someone on Twitter the other day who called Elway's tenure as GM a "disaster".

Just total stupidity. Give me a "disaster" that results in a ring any day of the week.

I think it's totally fair to bring up his whiffs on head coaching hires and QB acquisitions after Manning, and the repeated failures of those two things are probably what ultimately did him in. But on the whole, his stint as GM was a roaring success and should be regarded as such.

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I was arguing with someone on Twitter the other day who called Elway's tenure as GM a "disaster".

Just total stupidity. Give me a "disaster" that results in a ring any day of the week.

I think it's totally fair to bring up his whiffs on head coaching hires and QB acquisitions after Manning, and the repeated failures of those two things are probably what ultimately did him in. But on the whole, his stint as GM was a roaring success and should be regarded as such.
    Agreed, and I'm not 100% sold on whether the QB whiffs were truly whiffs or if the coaching misses were really that bad that they ruined any chance of success for said QBs.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Agreed, and I'm not 100% sold on whether the QB whiffs were truly whiffs or if the coaching misses were really that bad that they ruined any chance of success for said QBs.
    They kinda go hand in hand. When you pick bad coaches, probably any QB you pick will fail too unless they are just a transcendent talent, which none of his picks were. They were talented high ceiling projects that needed to be in a great environment to succeed. Although Lynch I think was just such a loser he would have failed anywhere. That was just a dud of a pick. Guys like Lock and Oz you could argue could have had their careers turn out differently in a better situation.

21. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    They kinda go hand in hand. When you pick bad coaches, probably any QB you pick will fail too unless they are just a transcendent talent, which none of his picks were. They were talented high ceiling projects that needed to be in a great environment to succeed. Although Lynch I think was just such a loser he would have failed anywhere. That was just a dud of a pick. Guys like Lock and Oz you could argue could have had their careers turn out differently in a better situation.
    That’s my belief and my point, Chicken vs egg type thing. Had we hired Shanahan maybe we’re not having these conversations and Lock is still here or something along those lines

23. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

That’s my belief and my point, Chicken vs egg type thing. Had we hired Shanahan maybe we’re not having these conversations and Lock is still here or something along those lines
    I think you could have dropped Lynch into an 80s/90s 49ers team and he'd still have stunk but otherwise yeah the other picks I think could have gone either way. I'll just never understand the Lynch pick. The stuff about his attitude and laziness was apparently known at Memphis, how do you not do better research on a guy? Or maybe they just had the "we can fix him" mindset and were willing to overlook it. I don't care how talented you are, if you don't have an obsession with playing and getting better at football, you just aren't going to succeed at QB.

That's the only draft pick Elway made that I found truly unredeemable. Even other busts like Ray or Lock at least seemed to care about football and show flashes, they just couldn't put it all together.

25. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Can I say “Thank you, John.” Or is that too wordy?
    Two words dammit… follow instructions… 2 words !

27. The Following 2 Users High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information