Thread: Best Debut Albums

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Default Best Debut Albums

Fun list. Dog will be happy for #1

https://uproxx.com/indie/best-debut-...r-ranked-list/

Before we go any farther, I must share the three most important criteria I applied while compiling this list:

1) I have to like the record.

2) The record must be generally considered great or important by people who are not me.

3) Extra weight will be given to debuts that are clearly the best album in the artist’s discography.

Another important criterion for a great debut album is especially pertinent here. It’s the “what in the hell is this?” factor. Now, “what in the hell is this?” can be uttered in a good way (“what in the hell is this?!”) or a bad way (“what in the hell is this?!”). But it’s best if, at first, it’s neutral, in the sense that you literally don’t know what in the hell this is and must listen obsessively in order to find out. Which is to say: The music is new and fascinating and enigmatic and rewiring your brain in real time.

The fifth criterion for this list is somewhat related to the “what in the hell is this?” factor, but it goes one step further. It’s a debut album that actually invents something. It doesn’t have to be a big something, it just has to be a something something. (The “invented a big something” debuts are naturally further down the list.)

The sixth criterion will surely be the most controversial: No “historically important” debuts that can’t stand alone as truly great. This ties back to Criterion No. 3, i.e. “extra weight will be given to debuts that are clearly the best album in the discography.” In the same way that the MVP in sports is a regular season award, this best debuts list is fixated on the debut and not necessarily on the career that came afterward. Therefore, Please Please Me is not on this list, because while it is clearly very good and extremely important, it is nobody’s favorite Beatles album. The same is true of Bob Dylan’s self-titled debut. I had a harder time leaving off the first albums by U2 and Metallica, because I love both of them, but neither debut belongs ahead of the best three or four records by those bands.

Let me tell you a story about unintended consequences: Because of Criterion No. 6, I also did not include debut albums made by Tom Petty, Electric Light Orchestra, and Roy Orbison. And then I made up a seventh criterion: If you make the list with one band, you can’t also make the list with a solo record or another band. Which meant that all five members of The Traveling Wilburys were now qualified to make it with The Traveling Wilburys, Vol. 1.

Let’s steer back toward sanity for a moment. The eighth criterion won’t be controversial at all: A great debut should be influential.

The ninth criterion might also be controversial, though it’s really just a practical reflection of how most people listen to albums: A great debut does not need to be great all the way through if there are at least three-to-five undeniable peaks that everybody ends up focusing on.

I’m going to add one more criterion that I’ve hinted at throughout but haven’t officially codified yet: A great debut should be extremely you. What I mean is that if you only listened to this one album, you would have a completely full and accurate view of the artist.

2. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Boston and Van Halen have to be up there.

Some of these bands didn't get signed right away and had a chance to round out their demos and make them super tight. Pack a bunch of bangers onto their first contract album.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

4. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I super like this person's criteria. I haven't looked at the list yet, but I wanna make my own. Maybe 10 or so. I know that Boston and VH will be on there, and maybe Weezer Blue. Off the top of my head.

To the batcave!
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

6. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

It helps to know some of the candidates.

GnR
    Strokes
    Joy Division
    Kanye
    Arcade Fire
    Beatles
    Definitely Maybe
    Sex Pistols
    Pink Floyd (really??? ok maybe, but c'mon)
    Talking Heads
    Pearl Jam
    Doors
    Beastie Boys
    Zep
    Ramones
    Nas
    Sabbath
    Metallica
    Nine Inch Nails
    NWA
    Cyndi Lauper
    Madonna
    Weezer
    Bjork
    Eilish
    Skynyrd
    Big Star
    Devo
    Arctic Monkeys
    Slayer
    Whitney Houston
    Violent Femmes
    John Prine
    X
    Wire
    Rage
    Elvis
    Stooges
    Portishead
    B-52s
    De La
    Television
    Pavement
    Taylor Swift
    The Cars
    Fiona
    PJ Harvey
    Liz Phair
    Hendrix -- (some dispute on this one--Are You Experienced vs. Get That Feeling)
    Patti Smith
    Wu Tang
    Velvet Underground
    Notorious B.I.G.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

For me...this is more of a personal than an "objective truth" list, but also leaning towards "inventiveness."

10. Stone Roses
    9. N.W.A.
    8. Nine Inch Nails
    7. Rage Against the Machine
    6. Liz Phair
    5. Beastie Boys
    4. De La
    3. Joy Division
    2. Van Halen
    1. Boston

Honorable mentions:

Wire
    Jimi (but the controversy)
    B-52s
    GnR

9. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Fun list. Dog will be happy for #1
    My reaction:

Glad to see Feelies at 89

lol at this:

Of course, if your debut is great all the way through, that certainly isn’t a negative. I once called this “one of the best albums of the ’90s,” which is probably an overstatement. But I swear this statement is not: Moon Safari is like a Steely Dan record if Donald Fagen and Walter Becker were French and determined to write soundtracks to Stanley Kubrick films that do not exist.
    Glad to see Shins at 82, I think that's fair.

Oh damn, I forgot about Dire Straits. #74 seems wrong. I'd add it to my top 10...it's not the most genre-creating, but it's just so perfect, like the Boston album. Yeah, it goes at #2 or #3.

Wow. Kevin Parker made the list. Good to see Tame Impala at 69. It's close to a masterpiece. I think maybe it makes my top ten just based on the number of listens. But...hm.

Oh shit. For Emma is on here. Why didn't I think of that.

Son Volt Trace at #57. I like whoever is making this list. They know their shit. Also a bunch of in-between stuff that seems on point.

***intermission note: I'm glad he gave a nod to Sugar's Copper Blue. That's got to be one of my all time most-listened albums.***

#40 I did not realize that Tupac was a Counting Crows fan...cool

#24 Wire...I am sorta starting to fanboi about this critic. He or she is worth following.

Ok, I finished.

Super solid list.

11. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I put on the VH album for the first time while reading through the list yesterday afternoon. I ended up falling asleep (unrelated to the music) but it made me realized I have heard pretty much all of those songs many a time.

I appreciate the list for reminding me that some bands that were formative as a teenager - ie standard radio rock like Boston, Van Halen, The Doors, etc - put out some good shit. I don't think of myself as particularly snobby or hipster when it comes to music and disregarding music you liked when you were younger, but sometimes I forget.

I like this particular critic because even when I don't vibe with his takes, I can tell he's sincere and doesn't particularly give a shit about what's "cool" and isn't prone to giving a hipster hot take. He's probably the same age as you so I'm sure that helps with the crossover.
    Last edited by aberdien; 03-26-2023 at 04:17 PM.

13. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Going through the ones, these are the debuts he lists that stick out to me because they're the ones I have spent the most time listening to/enjoying/loving:

Band Of Horses, Everything All The Time
    MGMT, Oracular Spectacular
    Vampire Weekend, Vampire Weekend
    The Flying Burrito Brothers, The Gilded Palace Of Sin
    Weezer, Weezer
    Kanye West, The College Dropout
    Beastie Boys, Licensed To Ill
    The Strokes, Is This It
    Big Star, #1 Record
    John Prine, John Prine
    Oasis, Definitely Maybe
    Liz Phair, Exile In Guyville
    Ramones, Ramones
    De La Soul, 3 Feet High And Rising
    The Velvet Underground, The Velvet Underground And Nico

If I'm going to make a top 5 of my subjective favorite debut albums using that list, with the criteria being I love and listen to the albums a lot in 2023:

1. VU & Nico
    2. Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
    3. Big Star - #1 Record
    4. Vampire Weekend
    5. Liz Phair

15. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information