Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Doors - GAH Week 13 - 2.4.23

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    I dunno. Pretty sure I wore out the same GH two-disc you did. I was decades late to the early rock party. The Beatles and Hendrix are probably the only ones I really did any excavation on.
    Yeah same. I'm higher on the Doors than most, but just the stuff I've heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

I dunno. Pretty sure I wore out the same GH two-disc you did. I was decades late to the early rock party. The Beatles and Hendrix are probably the only ones I really did any excavation on.
    And Floyd, maybe Petty, and Van Morrison. And a little bit of Zeppelin, but I have to admit that I'm mostly familiar with most 60/70s artists more from their greatest hits than from all the original albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Yeah same. I'm higher on the Doors than most, but just the stuff I've heard.
    They were legitimately iconic. Talented musicians, a distinctive sound, and some timeless classics. Songs like Riders on the Storm, LA Woman, Light My Fire, The End, Break on Through. They're implanted in American culture's DNA.
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

They were legitimately iconic. Talented musicians, a distinctive sound,
    You know, that's maybe my only beef with Journey, is the lack of distinctive sound.

This band came along and it felt *new*

Talking Heads? check
    Steely Dan? check, in terms of being such elitist studio wonks...plus...well, these days they sound really unique one song to the next
    Alice in Chains? check, given the pendulum of rock and roll at the time, especially since they embraced the male harmony vocals as a "metal" band ... (debate if they are metal all you want, it's more about the spiritual ethos of a sludgy hard rock band at the time)
    Metallica? check, at least to my ears as a young man
    Beach Boys? actually, yeah, they adopted the tech and Brian Wilson was Kanye 1.0
    Nirvana? hm. yeah, actually, somehow, check. I wanna say no, but in reality that isn't giving enough credit. between production and writing and etc...they did carve out a certain "new"
    Eagles? I'm actually gonna say no, but songs like Journey of the Sorcerer and Hotel CA are almost redeeming. Eagles were an ultra tight studio sesh team that gelled and fused country and pop with the a combo Dylan/Beach Boy aesthetic.
    Van Halen? **** yes. Peeps were like "I need more Running with the Devil in my life, NOW."
    Pearl Jam? yeah, the Jeremy and Alive vibe wasn't really accepted by then, you were supposed to shove that shit down...musically it's less clear. I'd say musically they might have been pushing boundaries.
    CCR? Woah, I can't actually answer this one, but I'll say yes because they did seem to carve out a unique spot. check

Bands that are the least distinctive among GAH bands so far:

Journey
    Eagles
    Pearl Jam
    Nirvana

The Doors...you know the Ray sound is going to be apparent within seconds. If not, Jim's voice will let you know. Very distinctive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information