Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Sean Payton will be new head coach

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Campo 6 year gap with the Cowboys. Tom Cable 10 year gap with Raiders. I can't think of any other instances within a decade of each other.

Personally, after the mess with Hackett I want as many experienced coaches on staff as possible. Vic's title would be Assistant Head Coach - Defense and they would likely give the job title of DC to Christian Parker to avoid Rooney Rule issues.

With that said, I want Evero back and he should be the guy leading that room. Evero doesn't need Vic babysitting him, so adding Vic with Evero doesn't make sense. If they end up with both, I'm okay with that too but we should do right by Evero and let him seek other chances if Vic is brought on.
    If we bring in Vic I think you just have to let Evero explore other opportunities at that point if he wants. He's earned the right not to have to have someone like Vic coming to hold his hand. If they'd be willing to co-exist that's great, but I feel like Evero probably already has one foot out the door with his best friend in Hackett getting fired, having Vic brought in with likely a higher title would seem like the last straw.

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    If we land Vic too, holy shit that would rock. Think our defense from 2 years ago but with a competent offense.
    No thanks. I don't want soft zone defenses while rushing three.

Demarri Mathis, PS2, Darby are all better at press man.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    If we bring in Vic I think you just have to let Evero explore other opportunities at that point if he wants. He's earned the right not to have to have someone like Vic coming to hold his hand. If they'd be willing to co-exist that's great, but I feel like Evero probably already has one foot out the door with his best friend in Hackett getting fired, having Vic brought in with likely a higher title would seem like the last straw.
    Has he, though (Evero)? He’s done a great job, no doubt, but he has had Dom Capers to lean on all season. Was that a factor in his performance or was it truly all EE? I don’t know, I doubt there are many who do. The guys in that building know better than anyone if EE is someone they want to keep or not and Payton should be given free reign to choose his own staff without influence from Paton, WPG, salaries and contracts, etc. I’m guessing Payton has a plan of who he wants (there are rumors of Roucher (his O-line coach in NO) coming as part of his staff which is awesome (he’s another top flight Oline coach). If Payton wants EE, great, if he doesn’t, that’s fine too.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

5. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Has he, though (Evero)? He’s done a great job, no doubt, but he has had Dom Capers to lean on all season. Was that a factor in his performance or was it truly all EE? I don’t know, I doubt there are many who do. The guys in that building know better than anyone if EE is someone they want to keep or not and Payton should be given free reign to choose his own staff without influence from Paton, WPG, salaries and contracts, etc. I’m guessing Payton has a plan of who he wants (there are rumors of Roucher (his O-line coach in NO) coming as part of his staff which is awesome (he’s another top flight Oline coach). If Payton wants EE, great, if he doesn’t, that’s fine too.
    Yes I think EE has earned the right to not be essentially demoted after the year this defense just had. It would be a slap in the face to him to bring in Fangio and not let EE explore other options. I'm all for bringing in Fangio, but it has to be a one or the other type deal. You can't bring in Vic in an "assistant HC/defense" type role then just ask EE to sit there and grin and bear his lesser role. If Payton wants Vic, gotta let EE go.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Derek Wolfe on Fangio:

“I remember the first thing he said to us was like, 'I don’t believe in science,' and I was like, 'what?' 'I don’t believe in science. We're gonna work and get calloused,' and I was like, 'Oh great, here we go, he's gonna try and kill us,'” Wolfe said. “I remember San Francisco came to practice with us, and they thought that he, Vic, had double sent the script because there was so much stuff on it, and they were like, we’re not doing all this stuff.

“He didn’t believe in working smarter.”

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Derek Wolfe on Fangio:

“I remember the first thing he said to us was like, 'I don’t believe in science,' and I was like, 'what?' 'I don’t believe in science. We're gonna work and get calloused,' and I was like, 'Oh great, here we go, he's gonna try and kill us,'” Wolfe said. “I remember San Francisco came to practice with us, and they thought that he, Vic, had double sent the script because there was so much stuff on it, and they were like, we’re not doing all this stuff.

So what if an ex player is crying about his methods? His results are proven on the defensive side of the ball. He was a bad head coach, but you can't dispute his credentials coaching defense. This team could use a few hard -asses in the coaching staff pushing them harder.

10. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ja’Quan McMillian

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Derek Wolfe on Fangio:

I just heard Wolfe say on The Fan just last night that he thinks Fangio is a “defensive genius”(exact quote), and he would love to have Vic back as a DC. He gave only glowingly praise to Fangio in that segment. So, maybe the quote you have is out of context? Idk.

12. The Following User High Fived R8R H8R For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
    I just heard Wolfe say on The Fan just last night that he thinks Fangio is a “defensive genius”(exact quote), and he would love to have Vic back as a DC. He gave only glowingly praise to Fangio in that segment. So, maybe the quote you have is out of context? Idk.
    Both can be true. A great defensive mind and a bad HC. Ask Wade.

14. The Following 4 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ja’Quan McMillian

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Now that the dreadful travesty that was the last season is over and we’ve named a new coach to move forward, I feel I can start really paying attention and resume posting again. I missed you guys and gals, but the complete shit show that was this past season, especially with the hype, hope, and promise just destroyed my mood and I wasn’t about to suffer through it week after week and put my poor wife through it.

I did watch a few games here and there if I had absolutely nothing better to do, but I did so with very little emotional connection. I did lurk on the forum and a little on the new orange mane just to keep up with current events and to watch, with morbid curiosity, what the WPG did about it. So far, it seem that they care and are serious about making changes for the better to get the franchise back on track.

I’m excited and happy for Sean Payton to be aboard guiding this ship into the future. He really was the best available choice. Harbaugh is a little too eccentric and guys like Ryans are a total crap shoot. Some folks don’t like the draft compensation that had to be given up, but we essentially traded a injury prone, talented player in Chubb and a 2nd/3rd round pick swap for a veteran, offensive minded, HOF caliber coach. I honestly believe that is there’s someone who can get Russell Wilson back on track, it’s Payton. I’m not going to get too excited because we saw how our excitement turned out last season and there’s still the question of his staff, (does Fangio return?) but it’s good to be back.
    I can relate totally. I wasn’t quite as detached as you, but for the 1st time in forever I made watching Broncos football a non-priority. I always record the games, so I started looking at the scores first on my phone first before deciding whether to watch it.
    I got a little (false) hope after the Cardinals game, but when the family got together for Christmas, and we all watched the so-called game that made Mayfield look like a HOFer, I was embarrassed beyond belief.

But when I watched the last two games purely out of morbid curiosity, I saw a different team altogether. I knew then that Russ wasn’t washed at all, imo, but the offense was most likely the worst coached unit in the league under Hackett. And all those league leading injuries? I don’t believe they were a coincidence at all. They were the result of the country club atmosphere created by Hackett.

Brighter days are here again, I firmly believe it. Payton will first change the culture, and then he’ll “fix” Russ, and then we’ll be relevant again this coming season.

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived R8R H8R For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post

Brighter days are here again, I firmly believe it. Payton will first change the culture, and then he’ll “fix” Russ, and then we’ll be relevant again this coming season.
    I just refuse to let myself get my hopes up again. Last year hurt too much with all the Russ hype going into the year. I'm just going to hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Adopted Bronco:

I can't ever think of an instance of a head coach being fired then coming back to that team as an assistant within 2 years. Wade was our coach then DC but that was a 20+ year gap. I'd love to have Vic as DC but that would have to feel awkward. Would definitely show he has no ego though.
    If I'm not mistaken...Gunther Cunningham was fired as HC by the Chiefs and came back to be the DC within like 4 years or something.

And let's not forget when Coach Yoast was fired at T.C. Williams High School, but came back the next season as the DC under Coach Boone.

19. The Following 4 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    If I'm not mistaken...Gunther Cunningham was fired as HC by the Chiefs and came back to be the DC within like 4 years or something.

And let's not forget when Coach Yoast was fired at T.C. Williams High School, but came back the next season as the DC under Coach Boone.
    Remember the Titans.

21. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ja’Quan McMillian

I just refuse to let myself get my hopes up again. Last year hurt too much with all the Russ hype going into the year. I'm just going to hope to be pleasantly surprised.
    I know what your attitude is toward Payton, and that’s ok. The thing is I would feel exactly the same way you do about it if the hire was anyone but Harbaugh or Payton. Even if it was Ryans who I was good with if he was the one, came with a lot of HOPE. Too many questions with anyone else, who is the OC? the OL coach? etc. And just HOPE it all works out.

I don’t have that same feeling with Payton. It’s not hopeful at all, it’s much more excitement than anything. The OC? Who cares really, since Payton is in essence is the OC. OL coach? Munchak or Roushar? I really don’t care because it’s going to be someone Payton trusts, and I trust a Payton to fix this thing.

Assuming we can keep half the team off IR this coming season, I firmly believe Payton will totally expose what a horrible coach Hackett really was much like Harbaugh did in SF when he took over for Singletary.

23. The Following 3 Users High Fived R8R H8R For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Remember the Titans.
    Remember the Donkeys!
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

25. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

The more I think about it, I kinda hope we do boot Evero for Fangio if he'll come back. Not because Evero isn't great, but it just feels like a matter of time before he's plucked as a head coach, then we're back to square one replacing him. Vic probably isn't getting another HC gig.
    This is a great point, however . . .

Getting plucked for HC would mean two comp picks, that’s more important. Christian Parker would be next in line for DC, that’s if he didn’t leave to be Evero’s DC . . . which would be another comp pick.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

27. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information