Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

From our old friend Doc Velcro:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	329848881_1240350023233702_4782855758499373873_n.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	21232
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Nirvana was an Earthquake musically, but their longevity and body of work is an issue for me. I think they have just over 100 songs total? And most of them sound like demos or rough cuts (which is cool, but still).

Great band, transformative even. But I don't think I can listen to any of their albums front to back without wanting to skip around like some of the other bands here. For some great insight on this, I'd recommend Dave Grohl's autobiography The Storyteller who really went in to how Nirvana felt influenced by those that came before them as opposed to influencing those that came after (even though they did!).

I'd say they are in the conversation for Top 10 as far as bands go, but top 3 as far as cultural zeitgeist goals rivaling the Beatles.

With some more longevity, style evolution, and staying power I'd consider them more but as it stands they are just a firework that exploded at the right place and right time that we can still smell the gunpowder from.
    I agree… but, To use a football analogy… the lack of longevity part of TDs career was the argument to not put him in the HOF… but those that watched him knew he belonged…

For the record I didn’t like them at the time, but have grown to appreciate the impact they had when they smells like teen spirit came out..

4. The Following User High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Meanwhile VH's "Jump" stayed at #1 for 5 weeks.
    I would expect if Nirvana stayed intact until their 5th or so album, that many years into their career, near the height of their popularity like VH when 1984 came out, they might do something similar.

Van Halen's debut album performed similar to Nevermind.

I have to award points to Nirvana. I guess?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I would expect if Nirvana stayed intact until their 5th or so album, that many years into their career, near the height of their popularity like VH when 1984 came out, they might do something similar.

I suppose it might be the Cobain fame effect that accounts for some of the enduring interest, since Smells Like didn't do better than all the songs above it on the yearly hot 100 list that are long since forgotten.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Two words…. 1.Over 2.Rated

AIC was a much better band in that genre. It sucks that he died the way he did, but I never understood the reverence for Cobain.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

8. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post

Not so sure honestly. I dont think this is about which album at any point in their career. People forget that VH wasnt super big until the song Jump hit the airwaves. Sure, people knew about them but not on the level that 1984 brought. In terms of popularity i would say both 1984 and Nevermind are neck and neck, its just that Jump was probably more enjoyable to people than Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

This song is deceptively weird. My band might cover it. In terms of music theory, it's super wonky. Props...

I'm sorta up on Nirvana just rn.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

You’re converting, fam. Props to your open mind.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived King87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Nirvana changed the musical landscape in much the same way that the Beatles did.

I enjoy both, but I don’t think either is in the conversation for GOAT.

Van Halen was good, in a “I love popular music” sort of way. But they were not transcendent in any way. More like, “I’m a schoolgirl that is infatuated with shiny stuff and VH rocks”, kind of way!

Also, the fact that I just complimented the Beatles makes me want to puke!
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I'm curious what you think of Skynyrd and Talking Heads.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Nirvana changed the musical landscape in much the same way that the Beatles did.

I enjoy both, but I don’t think either is in the conversation for GOAT.

18. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Are you flirting with me?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

The Rolling Forks made far better music than the Beatles

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Are you flirting with me?
    Well it's certainly not a roll of quarters in my pocket

22. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Well it's certainly not a roll of quarters in my pocket
    I hope not!!

A roll of quarters is kinda small!!!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information