Thread: Talking Heads - GAH Week 10 - 1.7.23

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Default Talking Heads - GAH Week 10 - 1.7.23

Not that familiar with this band. Of the "candidates" this is the one I have least explored. I'm looking forward to this deep dive.

Who likes the Talking Heads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Hell yeah.

Me!

5. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Not a ton of chatter here.

I'm enjoying the first four albums a lot.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I would say without question they're one of the top 5 most influential American bands

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Talking Heads are kinda non-American.

Brian Eno's (a full on Brit) contributions in production of albums 2-4 (More Songs..., Fear of Music, and Remain in Light) combined with Bryne's Scottish-American heritage (he was born in Scotland then moved to Canada at age 2, then Maryland at age 9) give pause.

It's an American sound and there's no question they are an American band (if you would compare them with, e.g., Jimi Hendrix or Fleetwood Mac)...it's enough of a caveat to factor into the debate.

11. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I have never listened to a complete Talking Heads album before now.

I was familiar with Once in a Lifetime and Burning Down the House from radio/media saturation in my youth. I actually did not like the Talking Heads for some inexplicable reason. It wasn't dislike, but it was some form of snobbishness. Which, in hindsight, makes little sense.

In the Napster days, I checked out a few more songs: And She Was & This Must Be the Place. I liked them enough to repeat listen, but I didn't dive into their catalog.

Anyways. I'm finally listening to these albums from end to end in one sitting.

Fear of Music is my favorite at the moment. Remain in Light is dense, crunchy, anxious, thinky, and funky. I've played it maybe 5-10 times but it takes me a while to digest an album. I could never do the one-listen thing to form an opinion because most of my favorite music began as uninteresting stuff, but then my brain developed these nuanced expectations and it became great. Remain in Light has that vibe of tremendous replayability. My favorite songs right now are Born Under Punches because of the weird glitchy guitar/synth work, and The Overload because I enjoy that whale-noise drone trance state. I love those songs that do a lot with a little, if that makes sense. Pink Floyd was good at that: "hey, here's a music type thingy. take your time, it's not going anywhere. enjoy it."

I can say right now that the first five albums are all high quality. I'm gonna need more than two weeks for TH but I'm moving on tomorrow.

I like the idea that TH are seen best as bands like VU and Pixies. Steely Dan. They are in a different weight class than the Van Halens and Aerosmiths and Metallicas of the world. Maybe even a different sport. I believe they might, decades hence, be looked upon as the greatest American band because their music still appeals to those futuristic audiences and they don't care about ticket and tshirt sales. If it's just the music, they have a strong case for the mantle.

I like that D Bryne began singing in the style of Sinatra in his early (pre-TH) days. Sinatra was in his mid 50's at that time doing Vegas. Something about that is very intriguing. I'll tell you what it is. It's the out-of-step aspect of it. It's an art student (Bryne) appreciating art irrespective of cultural values. Instead of psychedelia, prog rock, or glam rock, we see a love of classic standards, eternal style, and musicality.

The songwriting and production are as good as it gets on a consistent basis. Steely Dan is maybe more fascinating if you transcribed each note...but TH has the more interesting ear candy and hooks. Such a good balance of thinky, funky, danceable, and catchy. Steely Dan sometimes indulges in jazz excess.

I have enjoyed these two weeks more than any so far. I actually am excited to listen to complete albums, and that seems to hardly ever happen any more. Journey's 1st album has been next closest in terms of a wholly new album that felt like it came out of nowhere (for me).

This is my favorite Talking Heads song. Al Green does a pretty good job with it too.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Remain in Light is my fav, I can vouch that it gets better the more you listen to it. It took time to grow on me. It's just so unique and frenetic.

15. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Good cultural/historical overview of the album.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information