Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pearl Jam - GAH Week 7 - 12.17.22

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Y'alls point is well taken. I'm trying to be 2022-neutral. Imagine this is happening in 1980, 2000, 2020, and 2040. Whenever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Y'alls point is well taken. I'm trying to be 2022-neutral. Imagine this is happening in 1980, 2000, 2020, and 2040. Whenever.
    This does a fair mental exercise, and I like it. Reminds of me John Rawls' philosophy on the veil of ignorance, where you have to imagine a soc....you know what I'm too filled with food and drink to e...il like your post.

4. The Following User High Fived King87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Takeaways:

These dudes have good takes.

Binaural is probably the next album I'd try to immerse myself in.

These dudes put Yield and Binaural way higher than I'd expect (two of them put Yield as their #1 PJ album).

"You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

6. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Just looked at pricing for Pearl Jam tickets in September, one about $1,000 a seat through TicketMaster…. Ridiculous, that’s not even on the floor, that’s a ways back. No chance.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

I've recently been listening to "Just Breathe" quite a bit, that's a damn good piece of music.

10. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I'm back on PJ as a contender.

Rn I have PJ, Foo, and RHCP as the greatest. That's a disservice to Journey, Van Halen, perhaps Metallica, and hell even CCR. Green Day too. Green Day, too.

I could get there with newer acts like Maroon 5 but I'm of my time.

This occurred to me as I realized I think there are many more Pearl Jam "beautiful songs" than just about any other similar contender.

Off He Goes
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Daughter
    Elderly Woman
    Better Man
    Black
    Given To Fly
    Oceans

Pearl Jam has a sort of angsty vibe that gets in the way of sheer beauty, but these songs are more beautiful than nearly all the similar bands.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I'm back on PJ as a contender.

Rn I have PJ, Foo, and RHCP as the greatest. That's a disservice to Journey, Van Halen, perhaps Metallica, and hell even CCR. Green Day too. Green Day, too.

I could get there with newer acts like Maroon 5 but I'm of my time.

This occurred to me as I realized I think there are many more Pearl Jam "beautiful songs" than just about any other similar contender.

Off He Goes
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Daughter
    Elderly Woman
    Better Man
    Black
    Given To Fly
    Oceans

Pearl Jam has a sort of angsty vibe that gets in the way of sheer beauty, but these songs are more beautiful than nearly all the similar bands.
    My man.

13. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    "This made it unclear whether the frozen, blood-splattered faces of his classmates we see at the video’s end signify their horror over Jeremy’s death or their own deaths at Jeremy’s hand. MTV’s prohibition inadvertently changed “Jeremy” from a video about suicide to a video about a school shooting."

Uh, no it didnt.

The video that MTV aired clearly showed Jeremy putting the gun to his head.

*Edit*- Furthermore the song is sung from a POV (Vedder) of someone who witnessed the suicide that day. Even more is the actual story from which the song comes from,

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/je...TA6ZV5dWaOMCm8
    I remember that story being a thing back in the day, turned out it wasn’t true. That happened in Texas, Vedder absolutely was not there as he went to high school in San Diego nearly a full decade earlier. He read the story in a news article and based a song on it and things he witnessed in his own childhood.
    Last edited by Davii; 11-09-2023 at 11:58 PM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information