Thread: GAH Round 1 Racap (who wins?) - CCR, Metallica, Journey, The Dan

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Default GAH Round 1 Racap (who wins?) - CCR, Metallica, Journey, The Dan

Rather than jump to a new band, this is a good time to hit pause and pick a greatest band from among these four.

If you had to. If you were asked to pick one "greatest American band." From those four.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Out of those 4 and in terms of consistency i would say Journey.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Metallica stomps. They are the most iconic of any of those bands, they are the most iconic and pushed their genre of music forward. They have the record for a lot of shit, including touring sales (globally, but that's still pertinent as a feat) and a ton of critical acclaim.

They, the band, are bigger than their songs.

4. The Following User High Fived King87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Objectively, the answer is Metallica.

Subjectively, the answer is CCR.

6. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I think I have to go with Metallica.

I think an alien civilization might be most impressed with Steely Dan. I like Journey as a band the most of all from the Santana roots through the prog jam phase through the early Steve phase into the arena rock god phase with tons of merch and video games and international tours.

Journey was big. Metallica is big, but they are sort of a recycled intellectual property imo. That one weird trick--selling out hard like they did--was so damned effective at building something massive. It's just too bad that massive doesn't line up with great music.

CCR is a really damned good. Not my cup of joe when you compare it to something as complex and malty as Steely Dan--it's sort of the same reason I never got into The Strokes--it's too reductive and formula-friendly. I was excited to find out about the Ramble Tamble angle...but that was the outlier. They have some killer stuff. Great band.

I'm going with Metallica not because I think they have the greatest music, but because they have the most Stalin-like pervasive influence in our global ethos.

Steely Dan is def the best band in terms of the music, to this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information