Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Journey - GAH week 3 - 11.18.22

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    LMAO

what
    I one time had to rescue a very intoxicated friend from a house party. Imagine my chagrin. Me, of all people, driving 30 minutes to a college party filled with people I didn't like. Me, in my late 20's, at a house party. Me. God dammit I'm mad just thinking about it. I walk into this shitty ******* glorified bachelor's pad and typical college music is playing. But on this stupid playlist filled with what I can only imagine were soundcloud rappers and the like Johnny Cash came on. Then later Journey. So there I am, dragging my wasted and smoked out friend through the door, almost literally. Trying to not get his vomit all over me. It got all over me.

He had to learn that it's not safe to do certain things with people he thought were his friends. And I learned that playlists with a wide range of music on them are still things.

Even at smaller get togethers I would hear their music come on. My point is, my guy, you might have a good idea of who likes what music, but I don't think you're pitching a perfect game. FFS, even at at bars frequented by millennials I hear that shit come on.

2. The Following User High Fived King87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    I one time had to rescue a very intoxicated friend from a house party. Imagine my chagrin. Me, of all people, driving 30 minutes to a college party filled with people I didn't like. Me, in my late 20's, at a house party. Me. God dammit I'm mad just thinking about it. I walk into this shitty ******* glorified bachelor's pad and typical college music is playing. But on this stupid playlist filled with what I can only imagine were soundcloud rappers and the like Johnny Cash came on. Then later Journey. So there I am, dragging my wasted and smoked out friend through the door, almost literally. Trying to not get his vomit all over me. It got all over me.

He had to learn that it's not safe to do certain things with people he thought were his friends. And I learned that playlists with a wide range of music on them are still things.

Even at smaller get togethers I would hear their music come on. My point is, my guy, you might have a good idea of who likes what music, but I don't think you're pitching a perfect game. FFS, even at at bars frequented by millennials I hear that shit come on.
    I think there's not a lot of young people in their teens/twenties listening to Journey particularly when compared to the amount of younger people listening to Nirvana/Metallica/etc, and I am not convinced by this weird Journey pothead interaction!

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

I think there's not a lot of young people in their teens/twenties listening to Journey particularly when compared to the amount of younger people listening to Nirvana/Metallica/etc, and I am not convinced by this weird Journey pothead interaction!
    I think it's in the middle between a lot and nothing, but I am often wrong.

5. The Following User High Fived King87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Journey sounds like old music from a certain era that likely will only ever appeal to people from that certain era.
    Well, fwiw my son hates all my music but he said Journey has better music than Metallica and CCR, which he thinks are both great bands. He never heard Journey before.

It's kinda unclear so I'll clarify. He seems to like Journey ok, which is remarkable because he usually isn't impressed by my music for whatever misguided reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

7. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Not to derail this thread, but CCR is now off of my list. I cannot get over how their songs are bigger than the band. Can't do it. Is it a hot take? Yeah. But is it *MY * hot take? YeAh! BoY!

Journey just kind of feels American.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Not to derail this thread, but CCR is now off of my list. I cannot get over how their songs are bigger than the band. Can't do it. Is it a hot take? Yeah. But is it *MY * hot take? YeAh! BoY!

Journey just kind of feels American.
    That's incisive. I wouldn't have thought of that.

I like how Journey began as part of Santana. That means something to me. Then I found out that their pre-Steve Perry work was really solid.

I don't know where Journey ends up on this whole thing, but this has been my favorite week, hands down. The exploration and mini-revisit (I was never into Journey--even in my time they were already overplayed) has been awesome. Their're songs have been super stuck in my head in a good way.

I understand preference and taste and have no problem with all that. No problem even with an entire culture looking the other way.

I'm dedicated to the *truth* baby!

And I probably also need to clean my garage!
    Last edited by Hawgdriver; 11-21-2022 at 05:20 PM.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    That's incisive. I wouldn't have thought of that.

I like how Journey began as part of Santana. That means something to me. Then I found out that their pre-Steve Perry work was really solid.

I don't know where Journey ends up on this whole thing, but this has been my favorite week, hands down. The exploration and mini-revisit (I was never into Journey--even in my time they were already overplayed) has been awesome. There songs have been super stuck in my head in a good way.

I understand preference and taste and have no problem with all that. No problem even with an entire culture looking the other way.

I'm dedicated to the *truth* baby!

And I probably also need to clean my garage!
    I'mma keep it funky: if we want to build a list that can stand up to the Brits then Wu-Tang--UK rap scene was more influenced by them than I can ever describe--goes a long way there. This is in response to the cultural argument.

Regarding your compliment: that made my day. Times are tough and kindness is appreciated.

Journey is an American classic. I didn't know that they were with Santana, but damn that makes a lot of sense.

12. The Following User High Fived King87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Overall: Journey surprised me, helluva band. The "heyday" albums (Infinity thru Frontiers, albums 4 thru 8) really stand up: some blistering hits, a lot of fantastic music, and very few stinkers.

If you don't like their sound for some reason, which we all feel with respect to many different types of music or even bands in particular within genres we love, then it's not your flavor. I understand the "of its era" criticism, and I hope that in time this prejudice wanes.

Hopefully everyone gets a chance to really dig in and listen with untainted ears, because it's all there: tight musicianship, elite drummer and then a GOAT drummer, GOAT singer, outstanding harmony singing, prog-rock jam feel, massive worldwide success, and catchy songs. I see Journey as a sort of American ELO but a tier superior in most ways, and a tad less creative or risk-taking in other ways.

I'm going to revisit this thread if I ever manage to fully explore their first album. I just noticed it was rated highly on RYM, and their 2nd album was really damned good. It's too bad that Journey wasn't produced as well as possible. I don't think they had the best engineer and studio team...just a feeling I have.

I predict that Journey's destination will not be "greatest" for me personally, but I want to bump them up several notches from what I expected.

As weird as it is to say it...I think Journey is underrated, especially now.
    Last edited by Hawgdriver; 11-26-2022 at 12:40 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

There's only one Journey song anybody cares about.

Consider them written off. NEXT!
    Can you believe that the chorus of that "one Journey song" doesn't happen until 3 minutes and 20 seconds into the song?

200 seconds of music and then you get your chorus.

Many songs, perhaps most pop songs, end by the time Don't Stop Believin' actually gets to the Don't Stop Believin' part.

That's not nothing.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Brevity is overrated in both writing and music....and...in writing music!

#theuniverseexplodeswithknowledge

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Can you believe that the chorus of that "one Journey song" doesn't happen until 3 minutes and 20 seconds into the song?

200 seconds of music and then you get your chorus.

Many songs, perhaps most pop songs, end by the time Don't Stop Believin' actually gets to the Don't Stop Believin' part.

That's not nothing.
    In terms of whether Journey is the Greatest American Band, it is pretty much nothing!

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

In terms of whether Journey is the Greatest American Band, it is pretty much nothing!
    I'm issuing you a yellow card for excessive churl.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

It's a good argument for Don't Stop Believing being a GOAT song, but not a good argument that Journey are a GOAT band

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

That boy churling!

22. The Following User High Fived King87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Journey's greatest hits are bangers, fam. DSB isn't a throwaway argument for them being GOAT band. That shit feels like it's the dunk. It's their 'flu game' or 3-1 deficit comeback. That's...that's that style.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information