Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Metallica - GAH week 2 - 11.12.22

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Default Metallica - GAH week 2 - 11.12.22

I'm not sure where to go after CCR.

Yesterday, while listening to the playlist, I heard a song from the album Load. I disliked it. I got to thinking about Metallica's transformation from metal pioneer to mainstream rock band.

I didn't listen to much post-Black album Metallica.

This morning, again listening to the playlist, I heard both Blackened and Sanitarium.

I ALWAYS love a good excuse to listen to Metallica, and I figure they are almost certainly a top 10 American band, so this will be time well spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I must confess I have only listened to Metallica's most popular songs.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I am listening now. The song Wherever I May Roam came on.

Towards the end, it was so exciting, Lars did a little bit of double bass! :sarcasticKeanuWHOA:

I can't believe how limp-dick Metallica became after such a promising start. For me, that will be their legacy, you can't undo that.

There were already a bazillion rock bands doing exactly what Metallica ended up doing. I just don't understand it.

I realize that money is a huge goal. I shouldn't punish artists for monetizing their art.

For me, the stuff after "And Justice..." is borderline unlistenable.

I'm going to keep at it though.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

I loved Kill EM All, Ride, Master of Puppets, And Justice for All and even the 5 song Garage days albums. I will never forget going to Blockbuster music in San Antonio to buy that black album, rushing home and hearing James sing “Hush little baby don’t say a word” it broke my heart and my love affair with them. Metallica and Slayer were my 2 favorite bands when I was in high school. Their new stuff all blows.

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I must confess I have only listened to Metallica's most popular songs.
    Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are two of the best albums ever made, *every* ******* song bangs.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Until It Sleeps is a good song.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Oh shit. MF Whiplash just started playing.

*THIS* is why

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Metallica has (IMO) about four or five classic God-Tier albums. They are such a huge name with such power that if you say their name aloud they pass the 'can you say them without feeling stupid' test.

I listened to them a lot when I was younger. When I started getting back into metal I revisited them and boy....a lot of that shit held up. I can say this part confidently: as someone whose gotten into metal over the past few years they are the most recognized name in the game. They have the name brand value, the acclaim, and the work product to get it done.

They are in my short list.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

I won't lie, pound-for-pound Lamb of God runs their pockets.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I heard st anger for first time. (Sorta --intentionally)

This is the first post-BA song that really kicks ass. Upvote.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

The biggest hit against Metallica is that they were whiny bitches for a long time and Lars is a jerk.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I loved Kill EM All, Ride, Master of Puppets, And Justice for All and even the 5 song Garage days albums. I will never forget going to Blockbuster music in San Antonio to buy that black album, rushing home and hearing James sing “Hush little baby don’t say a word” it broke my heart and my love affair with them. Metallica and Slayer were my 2 favorite bands when I was in high school. Their new stuff all blows.
    Same.

The day that Enter Sandman was released on cassette single, popped it in my car got 2 minutes and tossed said cassette out the window. Lol

17. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

I was old school Metallica…always considered their black album as the “ sell out album” but there is a lot of good music on it.

I went to they concert… it was funny. They asked the fans what song they wanted after going through the black album songs . a few hundred of us chanting “damage inc “ and the rest standing around wondering what we meant.

Very classic metal band, very influential

19. The Following 4 Users High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I am listening now. The song Wherever I May Roam came on.

Towards the end, it was so exciting, Lars did a little bit of double bass! :sarcasticKeanuWHOA:

I can't believe how limp-dick Metallica became after such a promising start. For me, that will be their legacy, you can't undo that.

There were already a bazillion rock bands doing exactly what Metallica ended up doing. I just don't understand it.

I realize that money is a huge goal. I shouldn't punish artists for monetizing their art.

For me, the stuff after "And Justice..." is borderline unlistenable.

I'm going to keep at it though.
    One might argue that if they did not "sell out", they would not currently have the widespread popularity among normie non-metal fans in order to be considered in this discussion.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    One might argue that if they did not "sell out", they would not currently have the widespread popularity among normie non-metal fans in order to be considered in this discussion.
    I'm not sure what to do with this proposition.

23. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information