Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Metallica - GAH week 2 - 11.12.22

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Selling your integrity as a band for profit does not make you the greatest anything....
    Does wanting to make your band more diverse sound-wise = selling your integrity?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Does wanting to make your band more diverse sound-wise = selling your integrity?
    There is progression and then there is totally changing your identity as a band so yes.

3. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    There is progression and then there is totally changing your identity as a band so yes.
    What is the difference? Was Metallica really that different before 1 album compared to after?

And how much of it is "selling out" vs sucking after releasing a few strong albums, which is what happens to almost every band that has ever existed?

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

In terms of being the Greatest American band...Here's some quick wiki research on one of their grandpa years albums:

"Hardwired... to Self-Destruct debuted at number one on the Billboard 200, selling 291,000 album-equivalent units in its first week, of which 282,000 were pure album sales.[68] The remaining 9,000 units comprised 34,000 song purchases and 9.3 million streams. It was the third-largest debut of the year in the US on pure sales, behind Drake's Views and Beyoncé's Lemonade.[69]"

"Overall, the album was number one in 57 countries, entered the top three in 75 nations and the top five in 105 countries.[75]"

It takes something special to be mentioned in the same sentence as Drake and Beyonce in album sales. The band is gd massive. Has the national appeal, but also the global appeal of a heavyweight. They have critical acclaim, niche acclaim, popular acclaim, a well-known brand all around the world, and have stood the test of time in terms of relevance. I'm starting to think maybe this is the one...

6. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I'm starting to think maybe this is the one...
    I can say right now that they are going to overtake CCR.

I have misgivings, but they have put together enough that it is a sort of behemoth thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Abe, I've noticed a few thoughts of yours relate to sales, and I'm not sure how much sales should be given deference.

I agree it's not nothing.

I also don't want to be unduly swayed by it.

Because I don't know about y'all, but I don't usually buy shit I don't like. At least, I try not to.

It means something to open your wallet.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

9. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

The reason why I think Metallica will not end up as "the one" is because I don't think Hetfield is gifted enough of a vocalist.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I can say right now that they are going to overtake CCR.

I have misgivings, but they have put together enough that it is a sort of behemoth thing.
    Recently a 5th grader in Guatemala asked me if we could listen to Metallica in class while working. Behemoth!

12. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Abe, I've noticed a few thoughts of yours relate to sales, and I'm not sure how much sales should be given deference.

I agree it's not nothing.

I also don't want to be unduly swayed by it.

Because I don't know about y'all, but I don't usually buy shit I don't like. At least, I try not to.

It means something to open your wallet.
    Sales indicates popularity, which is necessary to be one of the Greatest American Bands.

In this instance I was just noticing how shocked I was to find that Metallica's 25 years past their prime album was notable enough to be mentioned near an in-their-prime Beyonce and Drake in terms of sales. Popularity is important, and Metallica has sustained popularity for decades, when metal and rock music has basically disappeared from the mainstream.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Sales indicates popularity, which is necessary to be one of the Greatest American Bands.

In this instance I was just noticing how shocked I was to find that Metallica's 25 years past their prime album was notable enough to be mentioned near an in-their-prime Beyonce and Drake in terms of sales. Popularity is important, and Metallica has sustained popularity for decades, when metal and rock music has basically disappeared from the mainstream.
    I am also surprised.

I'd like to hear what North thinks, because I know he's cynical about the "music machine" that looks to these intellectual properties as cash streams. I sorta trust his cynicism a little bit on this matter.

15. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

The way you know Metallica sold out for $$ is to see how upset they were over people streaming their music on Napster.

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

All I'm saying is the 3 greatest UK bands have t-shirts sold in malls and walmarts all around the world, worn by people all around the world who probably might not be able to name their top 10 songs if asked...such things are not insignificant when considering the popular appeal of a band, and only the greatest bands reach that level.

Metallica is on that level.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

All I'm saying is the 3 greatest UK bands have t-shirts sold in malls and walmarts all around the world, worn by people all around the world who probably might not be able to name their top 10 songs if asked...such things are not insignificant when considering the popular appeal of a band, and only the greatest bands reach that level.

Metallica is on that level.
    How about some of the dogfish LSD-test factors?

or these?

Some factors to consider:

Personal (emotional?) connection with the music
    Inventiveness
    International penetration
    Musicianship of individual members
    How tight is the band (especially live)?
    Did the band greatly influence the music to come?
    Will the band be relevant in 100 years?
    How much did the band benefit from the music publishing machine? (vs. intrinsic value)
    Range of styles - was it all roots rock, or did they mix it up?
    Did the band put out a lot of drek? (in addition to the hits)
    Can you say it with a straight face?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    The way you know Metallica sold out for $$ is to see how upset they were over people streaming their music on Napster.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

What is the difference?
    Band: Death

Started out as straight forward death metal but upon the release of human and following albums the band added progressive elements while retaining the core sound.

Band: Metallica

Started out as thrash, experimented on the Black Album before cutting their hair, style of clothes, and changing their sound entirely to rock fit in with the current mainstream.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information