Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: The Greatest American Hero (Band)

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Pink Floyd was denied an early American audience because one or more "decision makers" at Capitol records had a whim.

The original UK LP was released on 5 August 1967 in both monaural and stereophonic mixes. It reached number six on the UK charts.[21][74][75] The original US album appeared on the Tower division of Capitol on 21 October 1967. This version was officially titled simply Pink Floyd,[76] though the original album title did appear on the back cover as on the UK issue, and Dick Clark referred to the record by its original title when the group appeared on his American Bandstand television program on 18 November.[77][78] The US album featured an abbreviated track listing,[79] and reached number 131 on the Billboard charts. The UK single, "See Emily Play", was substituted for "Astronomy Dominé", "Flaming" and "Bike".[79] Released in time for the band's US tour, "Flaming" was released as a single, backed with "The Gnome".[80] The Tower issue of the album also faded out "Interstellar Overdrive" and broke up the segue into "The Gnome" to fit the re-sequencing of the songs. Later US issues on compact disc had the same title and track list as the UK version. The album was certified Gold in the US as a part of A Nice Pair with A Saucerful of Secrets on 11 March 1994.[74]
    The album's title, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, refers to the god Pan, as depicted in the 1908 book The Wind in the Willows.

About being handled on Tower Records, Jenner commented that: "In terms of the U.K. and Europe it was always fine. America was always difficult. Capitol couldn't see it. You know, 'What is this latest bit of rubbish from England? Oh Christ, it'll give us more grief, so we'll put it out on Tower Records', which was a subsidiary of Capitol Records [...] It was a very cheapskate operation and it was the beginning of endless problems The Floyd had with Capitol. It started off bad and went on being bad."[81]
    Makes you think about the caprice of the publishing business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

That's the best PF album.

4. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

I think I'm going to listen to some PF tonight. These threads have made me go back and revisit some bands AND try out some new stuff. <3

6. The Following 4 Users High Fived King87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    That's the best PF album.
    It's dope, for sure, but I'll go with Meddle. . . and so should you, Kingsley.
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

8. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

I'll report my findings.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    It's dope, for sure, but I'll go with Meddle. . . and so should you, Kingsley.
    It's encouraging that this is where the greatest American band discussion leads.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

I haven’t been following the thread, but if you don’t have Van Halen, led by the greatest guitar player the world has ever seen on your list, you’re doing it wrong.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    I haven’t been following the thread, but if you don’t have Van Halen, led by the greatest guitar player the world has ever seen on your list, you’re doing it wrong.
    Van Halen is super legit but they put out a ton of mediocre songs. I'm not sure where I'll come down on them after a thorough going-over.

You think they should be "the greatest" (whatever that means)?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Van Halen is super legit but they put out a ton of mediocre songs. I'm not sure where I'll come down on them after a thorough going-over.

You think they should be "the greatest" (whatever that means)?
    They also put out a lot of underrated songs. I’m sure it’s been discussed, but music is so subjective that it’s hard to pick the greatest anything. Really interesting idea though. Nice job!
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

14. The Following 4 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

What stands out to me the MOST with this exercise: you cannot stand in the same river twice.

I cannot be Livingstone before Africa. I've done explored Africa.

It's now impossible to capture the feeling of discovering Africa for the first time.

So what does Livingstone do next?

Having said that, next week is maybe the first week of heavy lifting. The first band I am almost completely unfamiliar with (outside of the inescapable pop culture influence).

While I may not be able to stand in the same river twice, and while I've crossed many rivers, I may yet be able to appreciate a new river.

That is a test of a great band, so I'm curious how it will play out. How does this band sound many years later to new ears? Or to ears that know some, but not much? Can it stir something within an outsider? Or a late, late comer?

Some would argue that this band is *the* greatest American band. Definitely the RYM crowd.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I'm not sure who to explore next. So I'm playing the huge list on random, hoping random songs will inspire me. I've been through maybe 30 or so this morning, skipping some familiar tunes.

When I hear a song I don't recognize, and the vocals haven't begun, I ask "is this the song of the greatest American band?"

A couple of songs from Bleach played, I didn't know them, and my thought was "how tf is this on the list?" So my objective opinion on Bleach is that it is quite unacceptable. YMMV

Chili Peppers have gone up on my list. Some songs I didn't know, like Venice Queen, and some songs I hadn't heard in ages like The Greeting Song.

Aerosmith mainly impressed, and impressed well. But one song that didn't do much.

Foo Fighters...idk mang. Good band but idk if they deserve a deep dive.

Alice in Chains - I know most every song (which says something) but I heard an unfamiliar and before Layne sang I decided it qualified as a "greatest" type song. The song was A Little Bitter.

Steve Miller Band and Styx both get a bump upwards.

ZZ Top is tight, man.

Cars I'm adjusting downwards. A random song on Camdy-O was kinda meh.

CCR absolutely belongs, tell you that.

Green Day...hm. IDK. They have some catchy stuff, some great hits. But the B-side type stuff doesn't speak to me. Example: Longview, Basket Case, Boulevard, 21 Guns,
    .. all bangers. But the average song on the average album just doesn't move me. Throw on Revolution Radio. Or Insomniac. Or the 123 stuff. Or Kerplunk. Or Father. Or Warning. Idk. Huge body of work with gems, but too much digging. YMMV

Korn...gets a surprising bump up. I like the evolution. Songs like Y'all want a single and ... Damn I just spent 10 minutes hunting their catalog and I can't find the other one that really grabbed me. Maybe a sign?

I'm thinking Korn, Steve Miller, Styx, or AIC.

These are all JV contenders, huh? The music says otherwise though.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Eventually you might just have to build a band out of all these nominees, like a Frankenstein American band of different parts. Van Halen on guitar! John Bonham on Drums! Eddie Vedder lead vocals! Something like that. It doesn't feel right or even plausible that one of these bands will rise to the top, so you might just have to build a dream band or something! Still a cool exercise to read through, though.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Did anybody say the White Stripes?

I saw a very bad take on twitter that TWS would have been better if Meg White was not their drummer.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

the answer is wu-tang.

close the thread

22. The Following User High Fived King87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I'm just hear to talk shit about this horrible take. The White Stripes would have been a boring, generic Black Keys-esque band if they had a more talented drummer. Her simple drumming is what made the band good and unique.

GOLIKEHELLMACHINE @golikehellmachi
    the funniest thing about singling the white stripes out as a band that would've been better with a better drummer is that — *as a drummer who could easily be replaced* — i *often* think drummers are pretty interchangeable, meg white is one who absolutely is not

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information