Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Greatest American Hero (Band)

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Default The Greatest American Hero (Band)

List of relevant bands, for ease of reference:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4h...750953deda4d0f

Aerosmith
    Allman Brothers
    Beach Boys
    Beastie Boys
    Black Eyed Peas
    The Cars
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    The Doors
    Eagles
    Foo Fighters
    Grateful Dead
    Green Day
    Guns N' Roses
    Journey
    KISS
    Korn
    Linkin Park
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Maroon 5
    Metallica
    Nirvana
    Pixies
    Pearl Jam
    The Ramones
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    REM
    Steely Dan
    Steve Miller Band
    Styx
    Talking Heads
    TOOL
    Van Halen
    Velvet Underground
    ZZ Top
    Some factors to consider:

• Personal (emotional?) connection with the music
    • Inventiveness
    • International penetration
    • Musicianship of individual members
    • How tight is the band (especially live)?
    • Did the band greatly influence the music to come?
    • Will the band be relevant in 100 years?
    • How much did the band benefit from the music publishing machine? (vs. intrinsic value)
    • Range of styles - was it all roots rock, or did they mix it up?
    • Did the band put out a lot of drek? (in addition to the hits)
    • Can you say it with a straight face?
    Last edited by Hawgdriver; 11-10-2022 at 12:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Rules.

1. You do not talk about fight club
    2. Convince us why a band is the greatest american band
    3. Keep an open mind
    4. At some point in the future the debate will draw to a close and a committee will vote using some kind of fair system
    5. Everyone puts their sacred cows in the barn and looks at the matter with new eyes
    Last edited by Hawgdriver; 11-04-2022 at 01:55 PM.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

4. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

1. I'm not drunk enough to read your whole post at the moment

2. CCR's best album is Cosmo's Factory. They be chooglin'

3. Black Keys suck imo

6. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I want to be on the committee

8. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

:subscribes:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Aite...three things for today I could use help with.

1. List of bands
    2. What's 'best band' mean--how important are the 'non-musical' influences left behind by the band? For example, Jimi Hendrix and The Doors each left behind a sort of cultural wake that was widely adopted and was not strictly related to the music, but the music *plus* the vibe. How much weight to give to the "Nirvana" effect when we say "best band"?
    3. Should we open it up to 'all comers'? I.e., include the Springsteens, Billy Joels, and Taylor Swifts of the world, assuming they had a pretty stable band lineup over the years?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Some food for thought.

https://somuchgreatmusic.com/2021/07...merican-bands/

What exactly is considered a band?

To wit, would the purple paisley one, along with his frilly band The Revolution, even qualify? (again, it doesn’t matter in this instance: for our purposes the artist formerly known as Prince can currently be labeled as the poser who’s staying the hell off my list). But what of the more essential cases: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, etc.? Are these monuments of American music glorified solo artists with long-time backing groups, or legitimate bands? I recall one online commentor’s query “Bruce Springsteen is not a member of the E Street Band, is he? If so, why the phrase ‘Bruce Springsteen AND the E Street Band?” Fair question. But I don’t care. Final answer: they’re bands.

True Solo Artists

The same could not be said, however, for some of the biggest names and best solo artists in American music history. Sorry, but off the list are Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bo Diddley, Aretha Franklin, Buddy Holly (I know, The Crickets, but no), Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Ray Charles, Bob Dylan, Carole King, Michael Jackson, James Taylor, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Little Richard, Otis Redding, Jackie Wilson, Wilson Pickett, Marvin Gaye, Linda Ronstadt, Jackson Browne Lou Reed, James Brown, Janis Joplin, and Jimi Hendrix (The J.B.’s or The Famous Flames with Brown? Big Brother & The Holding Company with Joplin? The Experience or The Band of Gypsies with Hendrix? Nah, James is James, Janis is Janis, and Jimi is Jimi).

Contemplating Musical Duos and Studio Bands

Alright, then what about some of the best musical duos? I don’t know, I don’t think I can really consider Simon & Garfunkel, Loggins & Messina, Hall & Oates, or the Everly Brothers to be true bands. They’re out. Yet, Steely Dan, who one could argue was really a two-man operation, yup, they’re a band. Count them in. As for famed studio bands like The Wrecking Crew, The Funk Brothers, or The Muscle Shoals “Swampers”? Huge historical significance and mammoth bodies of work, but no, not genuine “bands.”

Essential Qualities of Greatness

And now that we’re really getting into it, what’s a compulsive music obsessive to consider as proper criteria for being granted a spot among the coveted “greatest”? Well, best overall music, right, the catalog. But surely we’ve got to dig a bit deeper.

What about particular songs? Los Lobos is a band that I admire greatly and that’s had an amazing career, but what are their big hits? Is longevity a factor, and if so does a band like Aerosmith get extra credit? What about bonuses for consistency of lineup? ZZ Top has had the same exact members from 1970 to the present (yeah, it’s just three guys, but that’s still the longest uninterrupted and unchanged run of any band in history, domestic or otherwise). Do we weigh influence, say, from groundbreakers like the Velvet Underground or The Ramones? Or simply the caliber of impact from even individual albums, where Nirvana would surely reign, and, to less dramatic extents, The Cars and Boston?

12. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Here's the current list. I want to trim all the fat and get us down to a manageable number. Something like 4-12.

Originally:

Foo Fighters
    RHCP
    Fleetwood Mac
    Pixies
    Doobie Brothers
    Pearl Jam
    Hall & Oates
    Temptations
    Velvet Underground
    Parliament/Funkadelic
    Kiss
    Soundgarden
    Grateful Dead
    The Cars
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    The Byrds
    ZZ Top
    Guns N' Roses
    Metallica
    The Ramones
    Nirvana
    Allman Brothers
    Steely Dan
    Sly & Family Stone
    Simon & Garfunkel
    Eagles
    REM
    Talking Heads
    The Doors
    Aerosmith
    CCR
    Van Halen
    Petty & the Heartbreakers
    Beach Boys
    Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
    Allman Brothers Band
    Earth, Wind & Fire

I propose this as the first massive cut (down to 17 or so names).

Doobie Brothers
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    ZZ Top
    Metallica
    Nirvana
    Steely Dan
    Eagles
    Talking Heads
    The Doors
    Aerosmith
    CCR
    Van Halen
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers*
    Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band*
    Allman Brothers Band
    Earth, Wind & Fire
    Beach Boys

I don't want to overlook a band. Sometimes people come along after the fact and realize that a staggering work of genius was missed. Should, e.g., the Pixies stay on the list?

Whichever band this ends up being, it would be perfect if someone came along in 50 years and went "damn, these people got it right."

*solo works are included (e.g., Nebraska, Wildflowers)

Feel free to propose a cut! Or an inclusion.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Great discussion here:

https://somuchgreatmusic.com/2021/07...ands/#comments

Quick takeaways:

Consider the generational lens. CCR, Doors--some would say RHCP and REM are far more deserving.

Bruce was CEO and Chairman of the Board--that wasn't a band, but a solo artist's vision.

Not the same with Petty.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

What exactly is considered a band?

To wit, would the purple paisley one, along with his frilly band The Revolution, even qualify? (again, it doesn’t matter in this instance: for our purposes the artist formerly known as Prince can currently be labeled as the poser who’s staying the hell off my list). But what of the more essential cases: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, etc.? Are these monuments of American music glorified solo artists with long-time backing groups, or legitimate bands? I recall one online commentor’s query “Bruce Springsteen is not a member of the E Street Band, is he? If so, why the phrase ‘Bruce Springsteen AND the E Street Band?” Fair question. But I don’t care. Final answer: they’re bands.
    Yes. Agreed with the above.

I will think over the weekend of bands i think will meet the criteria and then post them.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Aite...three things for today I could use help with.

1. List of bands
    2. What's 'best band' mean--how important are the 'non-musical' influences left behind by the band? For example, Jimi Hendrix and The Doors each left behind a sort of cultural wake that was widely adopted and was not strictly related to the music, but the music *plus* the vibe. How much weight to give to the "Nirvana" effect when we say "best band"?
    3. Should we open it up to 'all comers'? I.e., include the Springsteens, Billy Joels, and Taylor Swifts of the world, assuming they had a pretty stable band lineup over the years?
    To answer #3 Swift would not be considered because its not Taylor Swift and the Swifties. Its just Taylor Swift making her a solo artist and not an actual group.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    To answer #3 Swift would not be considered because its not Taylor Swift and the Swifties. Its just Taylor Swift making her a solo artist and not an actual group.
    Agreed. Solo acts--and for me, this extends to Bruce Springsteen, but not Tom Petty--go beyond mere 'bandleader' status and into the realm of a dictatorial one-person vision.

18. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Journey, Black Sabbath and Boston all not on the original list but Hall and Oats was? Your kiss, your kiss, is on my ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

20. The Following User High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

So...uh. What about all the non-boomer bands? Should we take a look at bands like...

Twenty One Pilots
    Imagine Dragons
    Maroon 5
    The Killers
    Black Eyed Peas
    etc.

Because...well...these are bands that are actually on Spotify's most played list. That list is overrun by solo acts because that seems to be the successful business model right now. But it also has some boomer rock on it like CCR and Zep.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2Y...d66dc2c28744df

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Blue Oyster Cult
    ZZ Top
    The Eagles
    Van Halen
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    Heart
    Foreigner
    Doobie Brothers
    Journey
    Styx
    Steve Miller Band
    Cheap Trick

Bands from Hawgs list that i would consider,

Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band
    REM
    Allman Brothers
    Steely Dan
    Earth, Wind, & Fire
    Beach Boys
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Talking Heads
    Aerosmith
    Foo Fighters
    Kiss

Metallica: I say no especially considering the first 4
    albums are metal albums and not rock. So unless you plan
    on opening the door to metal bands (which wouldnt really
    fit what we are trying to do here) than that could make
    the lists even larger and harder to narrow down.

Nirvana: Again no, i think longetivity needs to be a factor
    with how many records they put out and how long they
    stayed as a active band. I think there should be a
    minimum of 10 years for any artist that we put in the list.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information