Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Greatest American Hero (Band)

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Journey, Black Sabbath and Boston all not on the original list but Hall and Oats was? Your kiss, your kiss, is on my ass.
    Sabbath is British homey clown

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Journey, Black Sabbath and Boston all not on the original list but Hall and Oats was? Your kiss, your kiss, is on my ass.
    Sabbath was English, guv.

Journey--I'll bite. I'll def bite on that one. Seconded.

Boston...if only they had could have more than the 1976 album, if only they didn't put out mediocrity punctuated by the occasional highlight afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Oh, i would add Alice in Chains to the list of possibilities as well.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Metallica: I say no especially considering the first 4
    albums are metal albums and not rock. So unless you plan
    on opening the door to metal bands (which wouldnt really
    fit what we are trying to do here) than that could make
    the lists even larger and harder to narrow down.
    It's not even rock, bruv. It's just music. Bands.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Nirvana: Again no, i think longetivity needs to be a factor
    with how many records they put out and how long they
    stayed as a active band. I think there should be a
    minimum of 10 years for any artist that we put in the list.
    It galls me that Nirvana is in this conversation. It really does. I never loved them anywhere near as much as PJ, Soundgarden, and AIC. I grew up where they grew up at around the same time. To me, they are the one catchy grunge song that stole the spotlight.

But...24 million monthly listeners. To be relevant now is a data point that must be given attention. For comparison:

RHCP - 26m
    Metallica - 22m
    Aerosmith - 18m
    Eagles - 17m
    Earth, Wind & Fire - 14m
    Bruce - 13m
    SOAD - 13m
    MGMT - 12m
    Beach Boys - 10m
    Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - 6m (14m when combined with solo act, which includes Full Moon Fever and Wildflowers)
    Steely Dan - 5m
    Styx (who I'm listening to rn, and damn they are tight af and such songcraft!) - 4m

It's just a data point. A measurement like this, above, highlights one-hit wonders. But...hits are super, super important.

Until we actually have a hard and fast definition of 'best band', which is impossible really, we just have to use common sense. If a band still has contemporary relevance in this somewhat anti-rock era, that points toward having long-lasting relevance.

Long-lasting relevance might be a reasonable factor when you call something a 'best band'.

PS -- Too Much Time on My Hands is a great song!

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I got curious. I'm not sure if duos should be considered bands. I vote yes because I think Steely Dan is an ok selection.

Hall and Oates - 13m monthly listens
    Journey - 15m
    Black Sabbath (for giggles) - 11m
    Boston - 6m

Oh. And I feel like we need to at least consider Toto (15m monthly).

Toto could probably stand the test of time is a sort of feeling I have. I am not super familiar with their deep catalog though.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Blue Oyster Cult
    ZZ Top
    Heart
    Styx
    Steve Miller Band
    Cheap Trick
    Seconded. I'm interested in learning more about your cookware, please come in and tell me how it will change my life.

Foreigner -

Foreigner is a British-American rock band, originally formed in New York City in 1976 by veteran British guitarist and songwriter Mick Jones and fellow Briton and ex-King Crimson member Ian McDonald, along with American vocalist Lou Gramm.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Using Hawg's list, these would be my contenders:

RHCP
    Grateful Dead
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    ZZ Top
    Guns N' Roses
    Metallica
    The Ramones
    Nirvana
    Eagles
    Aerosmith
    CCR
    Van Halen
    Beach Boys

11. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Your thread got co-opted from the hop. Or hip-hop, or hophead. What's the greatest? The most musically gifted, the most widely recognized, the most influential?

What defines a "band?"

Who's the greatest band ever? And Why?

I have my opinions, but without some semblance of parameters, it's all just wind. FTIW, I think it's the Jimi Hendrix Experience, and I have strong AF reasons why. No other American act came close to changing the course of rock (and music) history.
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

13. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

The Nirvana hate is astoundingly hate. They weren't catchy on purpose; but they had a sound that resonated with just about everyone. I think they *DO* have longevity given how widely they're played to this day. I'll give you an example: When The Batman came out (great movie, eff you Buff) a lot of people heard Nirvana's "Something in the way," for the first time. That song blew up harder than Running up that Hill did in Stranger Things. You had generations of people who came before and after the Grunge Era that were like 'wtf is this shit' and started listening not just to Nirvana, but to grunge in general. '

That is POTENT power. Between the legendary albums, the long reaching popularity after they're gone, the legendary MTV unplugged set, the hit singles, the cultural impact...(this is a joke to make a point, don't cut me) I never thought I'd see the anti-Terrell Davis argument being made here of all places.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived King87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    Your thread got co-opted from the hop. Or hip-hop, or hophead. What's the greatest? The most musically gifted, the most widely recognized, the most influential?

What defines a "band?"

Who's the greatest band ever? And Why?

I have my opinions, but without some semblance of parameters, it's all just wind. FTIW, I think it's the Jimi Hendrix Experience, and I have strong AF reasons why. No other American act came close to changing the course of rock (and music) history.

17. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Not a single mention of YYR?

That hurts

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Not a single mention of YYR?

That hurts
    Yes Yash Really?
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

21. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I just spent too long making a Spotify playlist.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4h...c2f6fd7e0d4df8

It's got everything. So just throw it on. Pick a band and listen. Or shuffle. Anyways, I plan on listening to it now and then. It has all the stuff. I can't imagine a band that could win this thing that isn't on this list. And if that band is on the list, I got any song that should make it worth listening.

23. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Holy ******* shit...you put in the work. I have to honor this effort and put this bitch on shuffle and listen to it over the weekend.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information