Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread: The Greatest American Hero (Band)

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I listened to VU & Nico the other week, that's the greatest band in US history fo sho.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I listened to VU & Nico the other week, that's the greatest band in US history fo sho.
    Maybe.

That's why I love this discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    My Tier:

If you want to rank these your own way you can do it here: https://tiermaker.com/create/greates...-bands-1209282

I also have some other Tiers of movies if anyone is interested: https://tiermaker.com/user/1209282
    Super interesting--love it. I think I get what you got goin on.

Who is in between Heart and that brit band Fleetwood Mac?

Oh and the one by Cheap Trick. Is that Petty? or Tull?
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

4. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Here's a spin-off...

Imagine you are in a Fortune 500 (is Fortune a magazine? lol) business.

Like a music oligopoly.

You are on the board of directors.

Welcome, sir dog, sir NTL, sir slim, sir Davii, etc., et al. Here is your seat and your lunch menu options, please mark a box and place it beside your seat. No, sir buff, we do not serve prime rib.

You are discussion, at auction, as if you could own intellectual property...a musical brand.

Which brands are the most valuable in 2023?

What musical entity offers the highest cash stream to an owner?

Ok how about *all time*?

6. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Is this limited to just Americans again? If so:

Michael Jackson - worth the buy alone just for how much of his music is played on the radio/internet today. Factor in tv/film and it's a no-brainer.

Prince - similar to the above, but with the added caveat that his music is still scarcer in terms of outlets.

Beyonce - her streaming numbers are insane, her cultural power is insane, she's the new Aretha Franklin.

Taylor Swift - duh

Drake - also duh.

I went with pop/pop congruent music for the reason that it seems to age well.

I'd also try to corner the market on some genres/sub-categories of genres. Let me dominate the Rap genre by geography; If I had all the rights to West Coast 90's rap, or East Coast, or both, it'd be pretty smooth. Pac, Nas, Jay-Z, Mobb Deep, Big L and Big Pun = dollars. Dre, Snoop, NWA, etc. on the West Coast = dollars. 2000's southern rap is a huge money maker - Lil Wayne and Cash Money alone would generate more cashola than you'd think.

****, imagine owning the rights to all the boy bands. People still bump BSBs and N'Sync.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived King87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

And look.

I haven't surrendered.

I've surrendered the Tom Moon 1000 albums to listen before you die. It was so-so and I ran into copyright issues with the list being available online.

But with this, no.

This is just recognition that I can't bring 100 right now.

I'm still doing this.

I'm sorta getting a chub right now because someone* turned me on to R.E.M. I was listening to Document (great album that I've never heard--I check by listening to the turd song--the one with the least plays) and I just kept listening and loved it.

Like actually got excited...what I hoped would happen every album with this experiment.

I'm not leaving. I'm just hitting pause.

that someone was me

10. The Following 4 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    No other American act came close to changing the course of rock (and music) history.
    So here's a question.

What does it mean that a 18 y/o kid got a Hendrix tattoo--his first tattoo and sort of a big deal for this kid at the time--a couple years before he formed the greatest American band ever?

Does it mean that Hendrix did that?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Super interesting--love it. I think I get what you got goin on.

Who is in between Heart and that brit band Fleetwood Mac?

Oh and the one by Cheap Trick. Is that Petty? or Tull?
    The one by Heart is Alice in Chains, and Tom Petty is by Cheap Trick on the end.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    So here's a question.

What does it mean that a 18 y/o kid got a Hendrix tattoo--his first tattoo and sort of a big deal for this kid at the time--a couple years before he formed the greatest American band ever?

Does it mean that Hendrix did that?
    It means the same thing that Sanderson and other great fantasy writers damn near OD'd on Tolkien.

15. The Following User High Fived King87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Lol, a friend of mine on Facebook made this post. Granted, he is pretty picky with his music let alone metal music but he does always make me laugh with his hot takes.

My top 5 overrated bands in Rock/Metal history.

1 Nirvana-The voice of a generation couldn't handle being a Rock Star so he blew his brains out. The only good thing about Nirvana was Dave Grohl wasn't allowed to talk but now he never shuts up and ruins every Rock and Metal documentary claiming to be a big fan of every band on the planet.

2 Guns n Roses-These guys were great when they were poor IMO and I was a big fan of Appetite for destruction when it first came out but as soon as Axl got rich he immediately made GNR a solo project and put out the generic Use Your Illusion albums in 91 and then a true solo album Chinese Democracy (Though it was called Guns N Roses) in 2008 but by then nobody cared and it flopped. Oddly enough this band that actually has only put out 2 albums in 36 years is playing stadiums now on the nostalgia circuit.

3 Green Day-The Ramones wrote great catchy Pop/Punk songs in the 70's and 80's that sadly didn't sell well and then in the 90's came the generic as **** Pop/Punk band Green Day that never came close to writing a song as good as The Ramones but sold millions. Go Figure.

4 Van Hagar-After the glorious first 6 albums with David Lee Roth the band imploded and Sammy Hagar was brought in to handle vocals. They put out 4 albums and each one hit number one with the horrible lead off singles "Why Can't This be love" on 5150, Black & Blue on OU812, Poundcake on **** and Don't Tell Me What Love Can Do on Balance. Those songs were awful as it was but the Power Ballads on each album made Bret Michaels and Jani Lane say to themselves Sammy Hagar is even a bigger wimp than me.

5 U2-This band was actually listenable in the 80's but after they hit it big they really went to shit and Bono somehow got the idea that people really gave a shit about his political opinions. This band is so narcissistic they actually held back the release of an album when Trunk upset Hilary Clinton because they thought Hilary was going to win and when Trunk won they wanted to change lyrics around to reflect Donald Trump winning the election and lets not forget when they gave their album away for free and everyone with an Apple I-Pod got stuck with the new U2 album and they made it impossible to delete the songs

17. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

My buddy wanted to resurrect this discussion and make a strong push for Foo Fighters.

I'd like to know from y'all if they can rumble with the top dogs.

Longevity, body of work, "American", brand, touring, etc.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Been listening to a lot of Foo lately.

I think there is a case!

20. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Feels out of place. I dunno.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I am unconvinced.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

From Reddit:

I have been working concerts for over 20 years. While I don't know many of the newer bands (2010+), here's a list of my favorite shows that I have worked.

Green day Rammstein Foo Fighters NIN Muse Tool U2 LCD Soundsystem The HU Apocalyptica Kenny Chesney Shakira Santana Jimmy Buffett Dave Matthews Mumford & sons Zac Brown band Hootie and the blowfish Weird Al yankovic Derek trucks band Elton John Justin Timberlake Lady Gaga Eminem

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information