Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Chubb heading to Miami

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

Wouldn't be totally against dealing Melvin Gordon..

2. The Following User High Fived tripp For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I will miss him.

Maybe we should have drafted Quenton Nelson instead.
    Or maybe Josh Allen. Idiot move by Elway.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    Or maybe Josh Allen. Idiot move by Elway.
    No. At that time, not a person on the planet, even the Bills, thought Allen would be THIS. If anyone thought that, he'd have been the first pick easily. There were legitimate questions about the competition he faced in college and how long it would take him to develop into a legitimate NFL QB.

To call Elway an "idiot" for not drafting him is revisionist history at its finest. Chubb was still a very good pick who was a productive player for us for a few seasons and was able to be flipped for another first rounder. That's not a bad pick overall.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    No. At that time, not a person on the planet, even the Bills, thought Allen would be THIS. If anyone thought that, he'd have been the first pick easily. There were legitimate questions about the competition he faced in college and how long it would take him to develop into a legitimate NFL QB.

To call Elway an "idiot" for not drafting him is revisionist history at its finest. Chubb was still a very good pick who was a productive player for us for a few seasons and was able to be flipped for another first rounder. That's not a bad pick overall.
    There were some of us out here, who watched almost all of his college career, that could see it. I really wanted him here, but how this team develops QB's it wouldnt have worked out.

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived Krugan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Krugan View Post
    There were some of us out here, who watched almost all of his college career, that could see it. I really wanted him here, but how this team develops QB's it wouldnt have worked out.
    Again, it's easy to say you saw it and knew he'd turn out like this now that it's already happened. And like you said, it took him landing in the perfect spot to develop him. Elway screwed up a lot of stuff toward the end here, but I'm not going to slam him on this one. No one just ever knows how any of these QBs will turn out. Just look at last year's draft. 5 QBs taken in the first round, including one considered a generational prospect, and as of now all of them seem well on their way to bust-ville.

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Same shit they said about Urlacher. Allen was a physical freak with questionable accuracy. Surprised he found accuracy, that usually isn't done, but he was the same physical freak that makes you take a chance. Ravens aren't upset they took a chance on Lamar Jackson who had the same issues. Just takes guts. Elway didn't have the stones after so many QB mistakes after PM.

10. The Following User High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Krugan View Post
    Now that is true, they would have ruined him. Would have taken a complete overhaul starting with GM, and we just didn't have the owner for that.

12. The Following User High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Again, it's easy to say you saw it and knew he'd turn out like this now that it's already happened. And like you said, it took him landing in the perfect spot to develop him. Elway screwed up a lot of stuff toward the end here, but I'm not going to slam him on this one. No one just ever knows how any of these QBs will turn out. Just look at last year's draft. 5 QBs taken in the first round, including one considered a generational prospect, and as of now all of them seem well on their way to bust-ville.
    I wouldn't claim that I knew he would be as good as he is, but I did see that he was going to be a very solid QB.
    Last edited by Krugan; 11-01-2022 at 02:59 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    Same shit they said about Urlacher. Allen was a physical freak with questionable accuracy. Surprised he found accuracy, that usually isn't done, but he was the same physical freak that makes you take a chance. Ravens aren't upset they took a chance on Lamar Jackson who had the same issues. Just takes guts. Elway didn't have the stones after so many QB mistakes after PM.
    The Ravens took Lamar at the back of the first round. That's quite a different level of investment than taking a guy in the top 5. When you take a chance on a "physical freak" in the top 5 and wind up with a Jamarcus Russell, that's a disaster that sets your franchise back. Pass rusher is also a very premium position. Last time we were in the top 5 before the Allen draft, we took a pass rusher who turned into a Super Bowl MVP. Some guy named Von Miller. There is nothing wrong with taking a premium pass rushing talent there. You're acting like we passed up on Allen's talent for a punter.

15. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I always wanted Josh Allen and was one of the few that wanted us to draft him, so I will take the W while Wave takes the L.

17. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Tall West Coast laser arm QB...Elway should've trusted his gut on that one!

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I always wanted Josh Allen and was one of the few that wanted us to draft him, so I will take the W while Wave takes the L.
    I would have had no issue with us drafting Allen in that draft. I wasn't as high on him as others, but in general I never have a problem taking a QB high and hoping he pans out. I'm just not going to sit here with 4 and a half years of hindsight and act like it was some stupid, unforgivable decision at the time. Chubb was still a really good pick and we got a great return for him instead of having to pay him 5 years later. And like others have said, given our disaster of coaching the last 5 years, there's very little guarantee Allen would have been developed at the same level anyway.

Dam, I liked Chubb. Good value, and we do have a few good pass rushers still…. But damm.

21. The Following User High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Maybe it's just because we've been so beyond bad the last 5 years and he was oft injured, but Chubb never grew on me the way other Broncos have. Trading Von last year (while a great trade and the right decision) was a punch in the gut as a fan. Chubb? Meh. He's a nice player, very talented, but my Sundays will go on just fine without him. Can't pay everyone, and it looked like he was going to be the odd man out anyway. Getting a first for him is fantastic.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Smart move by the Broncos. If you didn't franchise him at the end of the year, you would of over-paid for him. 2nd contract is usually the most lucrative. Smart move. I was hoping they were going to trade him. To get a No#1 made it a no-brainer.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

24. The Following 3 Users High Fived Bronco9798 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information