Page 1 of 192 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Russ a fraud?

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Default Is Russ a fraud?

Why is he seemingly so universally disliked among fans, former teammates and media?

2. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

As a person he's 100% a fraud. He has the most carefully crafted public persona I've ever seen from a star athlete. Everything he does is a corny, self-important act. Usually when someone leaves a team then all the negative stories come about him, I write that off as the team leaking stuff to justify getting rid of him, but in this case these stories of his teammates and coaches hating him have been one of the worst kept secrets in football for years. I tend to believe it when his ex teammates are being this critical of him.

As a player, I'm not calling him a fraud yet. Obviously what he accomplished in Seattle is undeniable. He might very well be washed up now, or maybe he's getting shitty coaching or maybe his teammates sucked. I'll need to see more as the season goes on to fully judge there. I will say though, this dude misses a ton of easy throws. I can't believe how bad his accuracy has been. He's pretty much Drew Lock tier on his deep throws. Even the ones he hits on have usually been over or underthrown and the receiver made a nice play on it.

I honestly can't believe it's been this bad. You expect growing pains with a new coach and QB coming in at the same time, but this is just flat out awful. Our offense is historically bad right now, and it's getting worse by the week. Nothing they try works. I seriously can't believe the level of a failure this has been. Still a lot of season left, but I am not hopeful whatsoever.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Mr Unliiiiiiiiiimited. Fraud is too nice a word.

My wife would agree, her exact words when denver traded for him were "WTH are they bringing in this fake crybaby, he isnt as good as people think he is, stupid move." My wife only watches once in a while and has a lot of opinions based solely on emotion, but she might be right on this one.

I had hopes, you dont just suck your way thru a NFL career, there was talent there. How much of it was Pete walking him thru it all and the talent the team had around him, I guess we might be seeing some of it. This doesnt mean I would mail it in yet, there is time for a turn around, but its going to have to be a complete rethink of this offense, it certainly is offensive.
    Last edited by Krugan; 10-07-2022 at 10:31 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Seattle sports radio is having a hayday saying they were correct that RDub was a fraud. But, Seattle is very fickle.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

This is kind of funny:

9. The Following 6 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jerry Rosburg

Fraud or just pretty average? We didn't give up all that compensation for pretty average. Maybe Russ is an awful cook after all. I go back to the SB against the Patriots. One aspect people kind of forget about that was brought up at the time, was the call to pass on the goal line. It was an effort to win Russ the MVP rather than Beast Mode. The playcall was, allegedly, made to benefit Russ.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    As a person he's 100% a fraud. He has the most carefully crafted public persona I've ever seen from a star athlete. Everything he does is a corny, self-important act. Usually when someone leaves a team then all the negative stories come about him, I write that off as the team leaking stuff to justify getting rid of him, but in this case these stories of his teammates and coaches hating him have been one of the worst kept secrets in football for years. I tend to believe it when his ex teammates are being this critical of him.

As a player, I'm not calling him a fraud yet. Obviously what he accomplished in Seattle is undeniable. He might very well be washed up now, or maybe he's getting shitty coaching or maybe his teammates sucked. I'll need to see more as the season goes on to fully judge there. I will say though, this dude misses a ton of easy throws. I can't believe how bad his accuracy has been. He's pretty much Drew Lock tier on his deep throws. Even the ones he hits on have usually been over or underthrown and the receiver made a nice play on it.

I honestly can't believe it's been this bad. You expect growing pains with a new coach and QB coming in at the same time, but this is just flat out awful. Our offense is historically bad right now, and it's getting worse by the week. Nothing they try works. I seriously can't believe the level of a failure this has been. Still a lot of season left, but I am not hopeful whatsoever.
    I can't believe a.) the offense is this bad and b.) how he is basically a super villain nationally... Almost nobody roots for the guy outside of Denver - how can he be this universally maligned? This is a guy who goes to the Children's Hospital all the time, big wife guy, etc. It's not like he's a bad dude. But the lack of authenticity is so glaring that everybody sees right through it.

I can remember back towards the end of the Peyton days, I was so envious of Russ' game because he could get all these hidden/improvised yards whereas Peyton was like a statue in the pocket. I felt Russ' game lent itself more to winning in the playoffs whereas Peyton's game was good for beating inferior defenses.

I still think Russ is a winner, but something isn't working with the Hackett marriage. He is not reading the field well, he's not getting to the correct reads, the personnel seems like a bad fit in many places. The offense just can't be this bad and persist - they are already on the verge of needing to overhaul some things.

Which then takes me to Russ the person... There is something off about him, obviously. I think he's like the socially awkward nerdy kid who has always excelled by trying the hardest but not necessarily having a good way with people. The teacher's pet type, but without any self awareness or humility. I think his teammates in Seattle felt like he got more credit than he deserved and basked in the spotlight... There are stories about guys who think he would chase stats at the expense of the best play/decision.

Something has to give here, but Russ isn't going to reinvent himself overnight, so I'm not sure what the solution is...

12. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I can't believe a.) the offense is this bad and b.) how he is basically a super villain nationally... Almost nobody roots for the guy outside of Denver - how can he be this universally maligned? This is a guy who goes to the Children's Hospital all the time, big wife guy, etc. It's not like he's a bad dude. But the lack of authenticity is so glaring that everybody sees right through it.

I can remember back towards the end of the Peyton days, I was so envious of Russ' game because he could get all these hidden/improvised yards whereas Peyton was like a statue in the pocket. I felt Russ' game lent itself more to winning in the playoffs whereas Peyton's game was good for beating inferior defenses.

I still think Russ is a winner, but something isn't working with the Hackett marriage. He is not reading the field well, he's not getting to the correct reads, the personnel seems like a bad fit in many places. The offense just can't be this bad and persist - they are already on the verge of needing to overhaul some things.

Which then takes me to Russ the person... There is something off about him, obviously. I think he's like the socially awkward nerdy kid who has always excelled by trying the hardest but not necessarily having a good way with people. The teacher's pet type, but without any self awareness or humility. I think his teammates in Seattle felt like he got more credit than he deserved and basked in the spotlight... There are stories about guys who think he would chase stats at the expense of the best play/decision.

Something has to give here, but Russ isn't going to reinvent himself overnight, so I'm not sure what the solution is...
    The Children's hospital thing is a great example of the difference between Peyton and Russ and why Peyton was so beloved around the league and by fans in general. Peyton also went to children's hospitals all the time and you literally never heard about it. He did it because it was the right thing to do, not for the public attention. You always know when Russ goes to one because he makes sure everyone hears about it. Even though Peyton was in a ton of commercials and stuff, he never felt like a guy who made it about himself and played the game for personal gratification. When he got washed up here, he adapted his game and leaned more on the running game and defense. He didn't insist on "cooking" and throwing the ball all over the field when he clearly couldn't anymore. And he totally accepted the backup role to Brock for the brief time he had to do it.

I don't think it's a big mystery why everyone who has played with or coached Peyton only ever has the most glowing things to say about him and Russ' ex teammates and coaches trip over each other to see who can throw him further under the bus. Russ is a guy who publicly always talks about how much winning means to him but his actual actions are about himself. Peyton's actions actually backed up his words.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

It's no surprise no one outside of Seattle and now Denver like the dude. Hell, I didn't like him until we traded for him. But it's clear the dude is a headcase, self absorbed narcissist who is not that good. Just great. Bronco fans won't put up with a prima donna that doesn't win. This train just jumped the rails.
    Last edited by Rosebus; 10-07-2022 at 11:16 AM.

16. The Following User High Fived Rosebus For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

15.9 QBR for Wilson last night per Nate Jackson & Chad Brown. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Why is he seemingly so universally disliked among fans, former teammates and media?

Smh the biggest question is why did they start hating Wilson once he became a bronco??? Because they knew the broncos own fan base doesn’t support there own players so broncos players are soft targets!!! These are the fkn facts.

There was no talk about Wilson until he became a bronco. Lmao and broncos fans are so dumb they can’t even see that this happens because of them! Every fan base knows bronco fans hate talent!

Jaded used to say this all the time and now I see exactly what he means

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebus View Post
    It's no surprise no one outside of Seattle and now Denver like the dude. Hell, I didn't like him until we traded for him. But it's clear the dude is a headcase, self absorbed narcissist who is not that good. Just great. Bronco fans won't put up with a prima donna that doesn't win. This train just jumped the rails.
    I mean the guy has only had one losing season his entire career soooooo keep proving that you are just another bronco fan that doesn’t have a clue bruh.

One losing season…… and instead of embracing the guy you morons bash the guy right along with the outsiders who want to see the team down!

Mr Walton please punch these people right in the gut and LEAVE DENVER

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information