Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Week 4: Raiders Week

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I have no clue at what point of the season parcells made that quote but I bet it was later than week 3.
    It was after week 2 when the Patriots had lost to Buffalo to go 0-2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

"You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    It was after week 2 when the Patriots had lost to Buffalo to go 0-2.
    Best I can find is:

The saying is attributed to NFL football coach Bill Parcells (who coached both the New York Giants and the New York Jets), but “you are what your record says you are” was cited in 1994, when Parcells was head coach of the New England Patriots.

I thought it was later in the season, maybe December ? But I don’t know for sure?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiemac87 View Post
    Best I can find is:

The saying is attributed to NFL football coach Bill Parcells (who coached both the New York Giants and the New York Jets), but “you are what your record says you are” was cited in 1994, when Parcells was head coach of the New England Patriots.

I thought it was later in the season, maybe December ? But I don’t know for sure?
    dude I just posted the post game presser from game 2 of that season when he said it! NFL doesn't like the embed though, so...you would have had to click it to see.

5. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

dude I just posted the post game presser from game 2 of that season when he said it! NFL doesn't like the embed though, so...you would have had to click it to see.
    If it was said after week 2 it's an even dumber quote and there's no reason it should have lasted in football lore for 3 decades at this point. Coaches say cliche shit like this after every game every week. I really don't get why this particular quote has had such a long shelf life of being referenced.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

If it was said after week 2 it's an even dumber quote and there's no reason it should have lasted in football lore for 3 decades at this point. Coaches say cliche shit like this after every game every week. I really don't get why this particular quote has had such a long shelf life of being referenced.
    You introduced the quote bruv. But if not, it's a brilliant quote from week 0 to playoffs.

My original point was to reject your nuanced take in favor of the ascendant clarity of the win/loss column.

There is a certain power granted by that clarity and I felt it deserved emphasis at the expense of your good reasoning and analysis.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Haha. Ok I missed the link…. Mea culpa…

10. The Following User High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Because its valid, we are literally what our record says we are at 2-2 for example. Nuance is great but in the context of the quote its centered in reality, Not based on what we could be or should be.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    Because its valid, we are literally what our record says we are at 2-2 for example. Nuance is great but in the context of the quote its centered in reality, Not based on what we could be or should be.
    If you want to get technical then sure, your record is what your record is. It just seems like an empty, meaningless coach speak cliche. And I think most people who use it use it incorrectly. If we're 3-0 and someone says "we are what our record says we are!" they are saying that being undefeated means we're a great team. Which as we saw last year obviously isn't always the case.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

If you want to get technical then sure, your record is what your record is. It just seems like an empty, meaningless coach speak cliche. And I think most people who use it use it incorrectly. If we're 3-0 and someone says "we are what our record says we are!" they are saying that being undefeated means we're a great team. Which as we saw last year obviously isn't always the case.
    There is some truth to it being empty coach speak but for teams learning how to win or working on changing culture it helps you stay grounded and not start looking forward or living in the negative of some bad games previously.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    There is some truth to it being empty coach speak but for teams learning how to win or working on changing culture it helps you stay grounded and not start looking forward or living in the negative of some bad games previously.
    I do think it's a valid saying depending on the sample size. For example, Fangio was 19-30 in 3 years as our head coach. Having that record over 3 years pretty strongly confirms that he was not a good coach.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information