Thread: NFL replaces Pro Bowl with 'The Pro Bowl Games' featuring weeklong skills competitions, flag football game

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default NFL replaces Pro Bowl with 'The Pro Bowl Games' featuring weeklong skills competitions, flag football game

The NFL is replacing the Pro Bowl with weeklong skills competitions and a flag football game, the league announced Monday.

The new event will replace the full-contact showcase started in 1951. It will be renamed "The Pro Bowl Games" and will feature AFC and NFC players showcasing their football and non-football skills in challenges over several days. The 2023 Games will be held in Las Vegas, and the flag football game at Allegiant Stadium is Feb. 5.

Peyton Manning and his Omaha Productions company will help shape programming and promote the event's content throughout the week. Manning, a 14-time Pro Bowl pick during his Hall of Fame career, will provide his perspective and will also be a part of the coaching staff for flag game.

"The Pro Bowl is something that we've been looking at for a while, really continuing to evolve," NFL executive Peter O'Reilly told The Associated Press. "Coming out of last year's game, we really made the decision based on a lot of internal conversations, getting feedback from GMs and coaches, getting a lot of feedback from players. We think there's a real opportunity to do something wholly different here and move away from the traditional tackle football game. We decided the goal is to celebrate 88 of the biggest stars in the NFL in a really positive, fun, yet competitive way.
    rest - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-football-game

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Well, at least they finally admit, the “real” game was a stinker…this might actually make it fun again…

4. The Following User High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

I heard about this on the radio on my way to work this morning, but no one has given any details about what these competitions “showcasing [the players] football and non-football skills” are going to be. I would imagine that much of what they would be something along the lines of what is done at the Combine. If every team was to contribute the same number of players to each challenge, then they could accumulate points as a team and on overall team winner could be crowned. This would increase fan interest in events that they might not otherwise watch and increase the competitive atmosphere throughout the competition.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Bout damn time because the actual game was trash and not even worth watching! Nobody plays hard at all because nobody wants to get injured. If the NFL had a clause in it where it states if a player injured with a serious injury like Acl or what not he will be paid 5-10 million per year for X amount of years after retirement.

Only then would players take it serious

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    I heard about this on the radio on my way to work this morning, but no one has given any details about what these competitions “showcasing [the players] football and non-football skills” are going to be. I would imagine that much of what they would be something along the lines of what is done at the Combine. If every team was to contribute the same number of players to each challenge, then they could accumulate points as a team and on overall team winner could be crowned. This would increase fan interest in events that they might not otherwise watch and increase the competitive atmosphere throughout the competition.

Damn you have some amazing idea’s!! You should submit those somewhere dude like really.

8. The Following User High Fived Jeudy10Hamler1 For This Post:

Just give the awards and move on. Skills comp was always good fun, but the rest is a money grab...

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by Krugan View Post
    Just give the awards and move on. Skills comp was always good fun, but the rest is a money grab...
    Everything in the NFL is.

Why do we have 17 games?

Sure isn't player safety.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

11. The Following User High Fived Canmore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

You mean the fans weren't happy seeing "Deion Sanders' Team" vs. Michael Irvin's Team"?

Ask John Stephens how safe it is playing flag football among pro bowlers.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

This is good news. The best part of the Pro Bowl was back in the day when they had the skill challenges and crazy "throw football through moving box 35 yards away" type stuff anyhow. Get back to fun, nobody wants to play in a meaningless game that could get you hurt when your entire livelihood is based on your health and physical prowess.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    This is good news. The best part of the Pro Bowl was back in the day when they had the skill challenges and crazy "throw football through moving box 35 yards away" type stuff anyhow. Get back to fun, nobody wants to play in a meaningless game that could get you hurt when your entire livelihood is based on your health and physical prowess.
    Yeah, the QB skills competitions were always cool. I also liked the “fastest man” races (even though Darrel Green always smoked everybody even when he was like 40). I like the obstacle course/relay type of skills events for the non QBs. It might actually be something worth watching. When they took away all that stuff and just played the game it kinda stunk.

Although, I did enjoy watching Sean Taylor go 100% in the pro bowl and just jack fools up. Watching him smoke Brian Moorman on a fake punt was one of the funniest thing I’ve ever seen. Dude was a serious competitor.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Yeah, the QB skills competitions were always cool. I also liked the “fastest man” races (even though Darrel Green always smoked everybody even when he was like 40). I like the obstacle course/relay type of skills events for the non QBs. It might actually be something worth watching. When they took away all that stuff and just played the game it kinda stunk.

Although, I did enjoy watching Sean Taylor go 100% in the pro bowl and just jack fools up. Watching him smoke Brian Moorman on a fake punt was one of the funniest thing I’ve ever seen. Dude was a serious competitor.
    Yeah, but it was also things like that that caused people to skip the game altogether. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks, I always enjoyed the skills competitions, hopefully it's as, or more entertaining than it used to be.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information