Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Denver Broncos' Russell Wilson agrees with call to attempt 64-yard field goal to end game

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Denver Broncos' Russell Wilson agrees with call to attempt 64-yard field goal to end game

SEATTLE -- There will be many games still to come in Russell Wilson's Denver Broncos career.

But in his first start with his new team as well as his first return engagement to the city where he played his first 10 NFL seasons, the quarterback the Broncos traded five draft picks and three players for -- the one they signed to a $245 million extension earlier this month -- was the second choice with the season opener on the line.

Wilson's stat line certainly looked the part in Monday night's 17-16 loss to the Seattle Seahawks at Lumen Field. He finished the emotional evening 29-of-42 passing for 340 yards and a touchdown.

But with 20 seconds to play and trailing by one, Broncos coach Nathaniel Hackett chose to have Brandon McManus attempt a 64-yard field goal for the win instead of letting Wilson try to lead a play on fourth-and-5 at the Seahawks' 46-yard line.
    rest - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...return-seattle

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Russel Wilson if that ever happens again:

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Kudos to Wilson for circling the wagons around Coach Hackett. One thing we can't survive after week one is a lot of in-house finger-pointing and blame. So I appreciate Wilson's answer here.

But there's no way in hell he believes that.

6. The Following 13 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Kudos to Wilson for circling the wagons around Coach Hackett. One thing we can't survive after week one is a lot of in-house finger-pointing and blame. So I appreciate Wilson's answer here.

100%. I'd be FAR more concerned if there was already public tension between the coach and QB. I'd bet money Russ was fuming to himself about it, but the media isn't the place to air that out and he knows it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

There is not a human on earth outside of Denver who agrees with that call. It was objectively horrific and inexcusable and Hackett basically lost all the good will he had stockpiled the entire off-season with that decision. The honeymoon came to a screeching halt when he went to McManus over Russ.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I get why Russ said it but yea he dont believe that one bit. Lol

11. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    There is not a human on earth outside of Denver who agrees with that call. It was objectively horrific and inexcusable and Hackett basically lost all the good will he had stockpiled the entire off-season with that decision. The honeymoon came to a screeching halt when he went to McManus over Russ.
    There's not too many in Denver who agree with it.

13. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

"Hackett channeled his inner Vic Fangio"

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I'm guessing the area of Denver that agrees with that call resides within the Hackett household. And if his wife is smart she probably hated it too.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I'm guessing the area of Denver that agrees with that call resides within the Hackett household. And if his wife is smart she probably hated it too.
    Having obsessed about the call for 12+ hours now, I am curious where the analytics guy was... This is exactly where you need an analytics guy who has some juice in Hackett's ear...

On some level I can *almost* forgive Hackett for being too trusting of McManus, and him believing that a 64 yarder was "in-range" -- so when Javonte got a few more yards than he expected, Hackett gets excited because they've gotten to that key point on the field -- in other words, he over-weighted what McManus told him in warmups... And underweighted the actual analytics.

It seems rational to trust McManus until someone presents the actual numbers - which is what an analytics person should have been in-place to do.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Having obsessed about the call for 12+ hours now, I am curious where the analytics guy was... This is exactly where you need an analytics guy who has some juice in Hackett's ear...

On some level I can *almost* forgive Hackett for being too trusting of McManus, and him believing that a 64 yarder was "in-range" -- so when Javonte got a few more yards than he expected, Hackett gets excited because they've gotten to that key point on the field -- in other words, he over-weighted what McManus told him in warmups... And underweighted the actual analytics.

It seems rational to trust McManus until someone presents the actual numbers - which is what an analytics person should have been in-place to do.
    And I'm sure McManus looks like a greek god in practice, can't trust that when the defense is firing though.

Let’s be honest no way Wilson believes that he’s just saying that to save face and not start any tension or divide with Hackett.

Adopted Bronco:
    Jerry Rosburg

I didn't realize we had let McManus try that many long FG's. That seems like a stat that a coach should know about a player. In an emergency save the day situation, sure, if it's your last option and a FG wins or ties it, probably better odds than a hail mary. But we could have taken a timeout with about 50 seconds left with 2 more left only needing 5 yards for a 1st down. What is worse was the Seattle secondary was banged up at that point and playing back so as not to give up a deep shot. If they play up you burn them over the top or take what they would have given, which would have been 5 yards. Let alone we have a QB that is mobile and could also scramble for 5 yards if it came to it. I hate this call even more today. It is indefensible.

22. The Following 5 Users High Fived Tbolt For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post

Facts we cannot start pointing fingers like fans around here are doing. But I guarantee Wilson fights tooth and nail to change that decision to going for it

The analytics guy told Hackett that they had a 29% chance of completing the 4th and 5 attempt and a 30% chance of making the FG…….. so that information was definitely in play.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information