Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Obligatory 2022 Season Fluff Piece- (And I actually believe it)

Default My Obligatory 2022 Season Fluff Piece- (And I actually believe it)

The season is upon us! OK, the preseason is upon us. I haven't been this excited about an upcoming season since Mike Shanahan became the Broncos head coach in 1995. As I reflect back on that time, I'm seeing the same kind of culture changes happening all over again. I can't help but compare that time in Broncos history to the current season. It wasn't instant, but it seems like those of us who were around back then just knew that success was coming, and it was coming soon. I'm getting that same feeling this year. Let me explain myself.

There are a few major parallels to this team and that one:

1. Shanahan came in brought a completely new practice mentality. Players went from two-a-day practices in pads to having multiple single practice days and doing a lot of them in shorts and shells. The media and fan base immediately starting asking themselves, "Is this team going to be ready for the season? Are they going to be in shape? Are they going to be ready for the physical side of the game when the regular season starts? Is the tackling going to suffer without practicing it in camp?" The players loved the new coaching staff and were ready to run through a wall for them.

Enter Nathaniel Hackett. He has taken this mentality to another level. He has the Broncos scaling back the physical part of practice so much that they have a 'jog through' practice every 3rd day. A complete practice with 'mental reps'. They have red days, green days, and yellow days. Green days are the full speed practices. Red days are mental practice days. Yellow days are somewhere in-between. The media and a portion of the fan base are asking the same old questions. The players are loving the new coaching staff and are ready to run through a wall for them.

2. When Shanahan came to Denver, they had a future hall of fame, MVP caliber QB that never reached his true potential due to bad offensive schemes. Elway spent most of his career in the Dan Reeves 'run, run, have John bail us out on 3rd down' offense. Shanahan brought in the Bill Walsh west coast offense. It was a unique new system that the NFL hadn't seen before San Francisco created it. (I know that most refer to it as the Shanahan west coast offense, but it's really not his. When he was hired as the offensive coordinator in San Fran, the first thing he did was sit down and watch tapes of every meeting Bill Walsh had while teaching his new system to the team.) Shanny used the same system. He brought it to Denver with him with and molded it to the personnel that he had here.

Hackett comes in with a future hall of fame, MVP caliber QB that has never reached his true potential due to bad offensive schemes. Wilson has spent his entire career in the Pete Carroll run, run, have Russell bail us out on third down offense. Coach Hackett is bringing in a unique new system himself. It's a bit of a Frankenstein-ish creation berthed with concepts from the wide zone blocking scheme, west coast concepts, and things that Russell Wilson loved to do in Seattle. He's molding it around the personnel that the Broncos currently have.

3. The Shanahan team had more talent than anyone realized until they put it all together on the field. 4 Hall of famers on offense. 1 on defense, and multiple pro bowl players scattered throughout the team.

The current Broncos team has more talent on the roster than most of the football world realizes. Once this team starts to play complimentary football, the overall talent level is going to be evident real soon to even the casual fans. I might be projecting a bit here, but I trust what I'm seeing with my own eyes from past games and camp practices.

Am I saying that the Broncos are going to win the super bowl this season? What I'm saying is that the Broncos are going to win, and win real soon. Shanny started 8-8 that first season, but had back to back Super Bowl wins 3 years later. This offensive line has a long ways to go, but the defense is way ahead of where that first Shanny team was, and has more talent on it than the 97-98 Super Bowl teams did. I can't say with confidence that they are going to win a super bowl this season. For the first time since Manning retired, I also can't say with confidence that they won't. I'm pumped. Whatever happens this season, I'm ready to come along and enjoy the journey every step of the way. Multiple pundits are saying that Broncos will finish 3rd or 4th in the AFC West. I say, "Bring it!"

HOPE! Ain't it wonderful?

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Well done, Ziggy.

3. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Great writing… crossing fingers this whole things works and we see another few years of contending !

5. The Following User High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

I second this fluff. The broncos vibe is on the up and up again.

7. The Following User High Fived Jeudy10Hamler1 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

No chance we finish 3rd or 4th in the AFCW unless something happens to Russ. If we stay mostly healthy we will finish no worse than 2nd in the division and be in the playoffs this year. Anything less is, frankly, unacceptable.

9. The Following 9 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jerry Rosburg

I too am excited for the team this year.

It's not all about being a 'player friendly' coach though. Plenty examples where that didn't work or stops working after a time.

The one element that you really hit on was Shanny came in and built a system around what the players he had could do. Specifically the ZBS. Denver to that point had been renowned for having one of the lighter O-lines in the league and he turned a negative into a positive.

For the first time since Kubiak left, we finally have a HC that is good enough to win in this league. For the life of me i'll never understand whey we wasted the last 5 years, to me it was always obvious what the outcome was going to be, but landing Russ with this staff portends good things to come.

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tbolt For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    No chance we finish 3rd or 4th in the AFCW unless something happens to Russ. If we stay mostly healthy we will finish no worse than 2nd in the division and be in the playoffs this year. Anything less is, frankly, unacceptable.
    No doubt I got us finishing 1st though and sweeping the afc west that everyone knows is the toughest division along with the nfc west.

13. The Following User High Fived Jeudy10Hamler1 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ja’Quan McMillian

With all the talk of Hackett’s practices and their scrutiny, one over-looked innovation of his that could very well be boom or bust, is how green the entire coaching staff is. Actually, I feel a heck of a lot better after Saturday’s game, but the real test is over the entire year. If this works out, and it is recognized that bringing in coaches that are inexperienced but coachable, with a “coach for the coaches”. That is something that could change the league.

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived R8R H8R For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Jeudy10Hamler1 View Post
    No doubt I got us finishing 1st though and sweeping the afc west that everyone knows is the toughest division along with the nfc west.
    As you mentioned, this is probably the best division in the league. Sweep? I don’t see it, frankly. You don’t sweep divisions this good. 5-1 or 4-2? Hell yeah.

17. The Following 6 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

As you mentioned, this is probably the best division in the league. Sweep? I don’t see it, frankly. You don’t sweep divisions this good. 5-1 or 4-2? Hell yeah.
    Exactly my thoughts. 4-2 would be acceptable. Anything better is gravy. Anything worse and we are not as good as we thought or hoped.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

19. The Following 5 Users High Fived Canmore For This Post:

I hear you bro but I just see a sweep

Quote Originally Posted by Jeudy10Hamler1 View Post
    I hear you bro but I just see a sweep
    Remember we did not even sweep KC in any of our SB years. Sweeps are insanely hard. Peyton could not pull it off I dont believe.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

22. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Remember we did not even sweep KC in any of our SB years. Sweeps are insanely hard. Peyton could not pull it off I dont believe.
    We swept the division in 2012 and 2014.

24. The Following 4 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    See the post underneath yours. We’ll sweep there asses

Sweep highly doubtful. There will be an adjustment period. We'll lose a game or two we shouldn't. Hopefully we hit our stride by Nov/Dec. That's all that counts.

27. The Following 4 Users High Fived Rosebus For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information