Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ziggy's Training Camp Report- 8/2/22

Default Ziggy's Training Camp Report- 8/2/22

Went to camp today. This is year 33 of going for me. I wanted to get something posted real quick while I wrote it up. I can tell you this. This was the strangest Broncos practice that I have ever been to. It was all there- The good, the bad, and the ugly. More to come........

Practice was different. Way different. It started with special teams work. While the special teams were out, the other players were together in their groups around the field. For the most part, there were no coaches around. It was just the players talking, doing some light stretching, and working on things together. For instance, the defensive line was in a group talking with DJ Jones going over pass rush moves with Chubb and another player. Jones was in street clothes. I'm not sure if it was do to injury or just a vet day off. Other groups were pretty much doing the same thing.

After stretching was some group drills. Most of the offensive line and the defensive line were on the rehab field doing work. The offensive lineman get into their stance and pretty much come off the snap sprinting to an assigned point. It was reminiscent of the Joe Gibbs era, without the screaming and swearing. The 3rd and 4th string Line was working with the tight ends in another area of the field. The Dlineman were hitting the blocking dummies. Pass rushers were working on pass rush drills, etc. etc.

I had heard that there were no 7 on 7's with this regime. True. There were also no WR's vs. defensive backs in receiving/coverage drills, no Oline vs. Line pass rush drills, and no Lbers and safeties vs. TE's and RB's in pass catching/coverage drills. In other words....the only time the offense went against the defense at all was in 11 on 11's. That took up about 40-50% of the practice. There was also another special teams session later in practice.

What also struck me as odd was the amount of time that players were doing nothing at all. During 11 on 11's, one unit was working. The other 68 players or so were watching or talking. This might simply be the new way to teach. See one, do one, teach one. It may also be the coaches way of reducing wear and tear on the team's bodies to get them to the season with fresh legs.

11 on 11's-

The reps were split up pretty well. It was the ones, then the 2 and threes would alternate for the most part. I never saw Russ and the ones get more than 2 consecutive plays before giving way to the backups. I'm not sure if they do that every day or it was just today. It's got to be hard to get into a rhythm on offense that way.

The defense was absolutely dominant the entire practice. The offense had no time or room all morning. The outside pass rush was relentless. Starting lineup was:

Offense-
    QB- Wilson
    RB- Williams
    TE- Albert O
    WR- Patrick
    WR- Sutton
    WR- Jeudy
    LT- Bolles
    LG- Risner
    C- Cush
    RG- Meiner
    RT- Anderson

Defense-
    NT- Purcell
    LE- McTelvin Agim
    RE- Dremont
    ILB- Jewell
    ILB- Jonas Griffith
    OLB- Chubb
    OLB- Malik Reed (later Baron Browning)
    CB- Surtain
    CB- Darby
    S- Simmons
    S- Kareem

Standouts-

Montrell Washington- Made a couple of nice catches, and took one to the house.
    Baron Browning- He's a monster. Great power/speed combo. Got some time with the 1's later in practice.
    Darby- Broke up a couple of passes thrown his way.
    Caden Sterns- Flashed a couple of times with the second team.
    PS2- He just erased whoever he was lined up on.

Disappointments-

Calvin Anderson- He was getting beat like a drum. He completely whiffed at least twice on blocks. I was keeping a close eye on him simply because we either need him to be good, or Billy Turner to get back healthy. He was bad today.
    Courtland Sutton- He dropped 2 passes today. One in drills and one in 11 on 11's.
    Boone- Also had 2 drops today.
    The backup punter. He was so bad I refuse to mention his name here. I was hoping that they brought in a legit challenge for Martin, but this guy simply isn't.
    The offense as a whole. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they are learning a new system, so they just need more time. The 1's had 3 nice plays the entire practice, and 2 of them would have never happened due to QB sacks.

Both Damarea Crockett and Courtland Sutton went down with non contact injuries. Both looked like ACL's. I hope I'm wrong.

Overall the practice was nothing like what I expected to see, or anything I've seen before in a Broncos practice. That doesn't make it bad... or good. It was different.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 08-02-2022 at 04:37 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

I heard Tim Patrick was carted off with a knee injury that looked serious. Damn it. That’s my boy.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

3. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Troy Renck
    @TroyRenck
    ·
    6m
    Source confirms #Broncos Tim Patrick tore ACL in right knee. That was fear when left field for MRI. Means another player will have to step up. #Denver7

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

5. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Went to camp today. This is year 33 of going for me. I wanted to get something posted real quick while I wrote it up. I can tell you this. This was the strangest Broncos practice that I have ever been to. It was all there- The good, the bad, and the ugly. More to come........
    I don't know if that should make me happy or scared.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Troy Renck
    @TroyRenck
    ·
    6m
    Source confirms #Broncos Tim Patrick tore ACL in right knee. That was fear when left field for MRI. Means another player will have to step up. #Denver7
    Jeudy and Hamler need to get their collective shit together pretty fast

8. The Following 6 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Denver Broncos wide receiver Tim Patrick suffered a season-ending ACL injury during Tuesday’s practice, KUSA-TV’s Mike Klis first reported on Twitter. That report has since been confirmed by multiple media outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Jeudy and Hamler need to get their collective shit together pretty fast
    Agreed. Other than catching one pass, Jeudy was invisible in 11 on 11's. Keep in mind, the offense was in full fail mode today. No time to throw and very few running lanes. When Patrick went out they put Hinton in the slot with the 1's. I'm sure Hamler will take that spot when he gets up to speed.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ja’Quan McMillian

Practice was different. Way different. It started with special teams work. While the special teams were out, the other players were together in their groups around the field. For the most part, there were no coaches around. It was just the players talking, doing some light stretching, and working on things together. For instance, the defensive line was in a group talking with DJ Jones going over pass rush moves with Chubb and another player. Jones was in street clothes. I'm not sure if it was do to injury or just a vet day off. Other groups were pretty much doing the same thing.

After stretching was some group drills. Most of the offensive line and the defensive line were on the rehab field doing work. The offensive lineman get into their stance and pretty much come off the snap sprinting to an assigned point. It was reminiscent of the Joe Gibbs era, without the screaming and swearing. The 3rd and 4th string Line was working with the tight ends in another area of the field. The Dlineman were hitting the blocking dummies. Pass rushers were working on pass rush drills, etc. etc.

I had heard that there were no 7 on 7's with this regime. True. There were also no WR's vs. defensive backs in receiving/coverage drills, no Oline vs. Line pass rush drills, and no Lbers and safeties vs. TE's and RB's in pass catching/coverage drills. In other words....the only time the offense went against the defense at all was in 11 on 11's. That took up about 40-50% of the practice. There was also another special teams session later in practice.

What also struck me as odd was the amount of time that players were doing nothing at all. During 11 on 11's, one unit was working. The other 68 players or so were watching or talking. This might simply be the new way to teach. See one, do one, teach one. It may also be the coaches way of reducing wear and tear on the team's bodies to get them to the season with fresh legs.

11 on 11's-

The reps were split up pretty well. It was the ones, then the 2 and threes would alternate for the most part. I never saw Russ and the ones get more than 2 consecutive plays before giving way to the backups. I'm not sure if they do that every day or it was just today. It's got to be hard to get into a rhythm on offense that way.

The defense was absolutely dominant the entire practice. The offense had no time or room all morning. The outside pass rush was relentless. Starting lineup was:

Offense-
    QB- Wilson
    RB- Williams
    TE- Albert O
    WR- Patrick
    WR- Sutton
    WR- Jeudy
    LT- Bolles
    LG- Risner
    C- Cush
    RG- Meiner
    RT- Anderson

Defense-
    NT- Purcell
    LE- McTelvin Agim
    RE- Dremont
    ILB- Jewell
    ILB- Jonas Griffith
    OLB- Chubb
    CB- Surtain
    CB- Darby
    S- Simmons
    S- Kareem

Standouts-

Baron Browning- He's a monster. Great power/speed combo. Got some time with the 1's later in practice.

Disappointments-

Calvin Anderson- He was getting beat like a drum. He completely whiffed at least twice on blocks. I was keeping a close eye on him simply because we either need him to be good, or Billy Turner to get back healthy. He was bad today.
    Courtland Sutton- He dropped 2 passes today. One in drills and one in 11 on 11's.
    The backup punter. He was so bad I refuse to mention his name here. I was hoping that they brought in a legit challenge for Martin, but this guy simply isn't.
    The offense as a whole. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they are learning a new system, so they just need more time. The 1's had 3 nice plays the entire practice, and 2 of them would have never happened due to QB sacks.

Both Damarea Crockett and Courtland Sutton went down with non contact injuries. Both looked like ACL's. I hope I'm wrong.

Overall the practice was nothing like what I expected to see, or anything I've seen before in a Broncos practice. That doesn't make it bad... or good. It was different.
    FWIIW- Munchak liked CA better at LT than RT. Anyone know if Billy Turner is expected back soon? Idk
    Hackett said DJ Jones has a back issue, but not considered serious.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ja’Quan McMillian

The good & bad on no 7 on 7’s, and 1’s vs 1’s: The coaches say it’s not real football, and not much can be learned; I think Fangio said the same, but didn’t eliminate it that I remember, but could be wrong. 11 on 11 with 1’s vs 1’s is like a scrimmage. The heat is on so it’s going to look ugly for the offense, especially early in Camp.

While 7 on 7 is an advantage to the offense because there is no rush, it does give them valuable reps to build chemistry. My take: Hackett is taking a risk here, and will take heat if the team loses early games they shouldn’t because the offense is slow to develop. OTOH, the extra adversity of game simulation is most probably a very good long term strategy esp if they can win early with the easier schedule before the mid-point.

Bottom line: I feel better about it with Wilson. With the bums we have had the past 5+ yrs, this is not the strategy to use, imo. But with Wilson at the helm, he will force his will on the guys, and it should work out eventually; and like I said above, make them better in the long term.
    Last edited by R8R H8R; 08-02-2022 at 09:58 PM.

13. The Following User High Fived R8R H8R For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Agreed. Other than catching one pass, Jeudy was invisible in 11 on 11's. Keep in mind, the offense was in full fail mode today. No time to throw and very few running lanes. When Patrick went out they put Hinton in the slot with the 1's. I'm sure Hamler will take that spot when he gets up to speed.
    most of the beat reporters that have been critical of him are still staying the same stuff about him. That outside of fancy footwork he doesn't bring much else. Games will matter for sure.

It might have been an off day for him. This is definitely a make or break year. Patrick going down should give him more reps on the outside, where Wilson loves to throw.

I disagree about the punter. He out did Sammy martin, but not in directional. Sammy coffin kicked him there. But the new punter had longer punts and higher hang time. I read one of his punts had a 5.2 hang time.

I am pretty sure it was sammy that shanked a punt yesterday too for like 30 yards.

I havent seen Calvin look bad this camp yet. Now he has been destroyed on some plays, but when I saw that he and the G or TE were not on the same page. So while yes that is on Calvin, I also think its a brain fart.

How do you rank this d so far compared to 2015 with what you saw both as in camp? I do not think this one is 2015 good, but they are flying around and best D we have had since 2015....Thoughts???
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

17. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

11 on 11's-

Offense-
    QB- Wilson
    RB- Williams
    TE- Albert O
    WR- Patrick
    WR- Sutton
    WR- Jeudy
    LT- Bolles
    LG- Risner
    C- Cush
    RG- Meiner
    RT- Anderson

Defense-
    NT- Purcell
    LE- McTelvin Agim
    RE- Dremont
    ILB- Jewell
    ILB- Jonas Griffith
    OLB- Chubb
    CB- Surtain
    CB- Darby
    S- Simmons
    S- Kareem

Standouts-

Disappointments-

Did you go to camp on jog through day??? That’s why there was not much going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeudy10Hamler1 View Post
    Did you go to camp on jog through day??? That’s why there was not much going on.
    No. It was the first day in pads. Jog through was the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I disagree about the punter. He out did Sammy martin, but not in directional. Sammy coffin kicked him there. But the new punter had longer punts and higher hang time. I read one of his punts had a 5.2 hang time.

I am pretty sure it was sammy that shanked a punt yesterday too for like 30 yards.

I havent seen Calvin look bad this camp yet. Now he has been destroyed on some plays, but when I saw that he and the G or TE were not on the same page. So while yes that is on Calvin, I also think its a brain fart.

How do you rank this d so far compared to 2015 with what you saw both as in camp? I do not think this one is 2015 good, but they are flying around and best D we have had since 2015....Thoughts???
    The shank was the backup. Sam had a great day. Keep in mind that I'm not particularly a fan of his.

As far as that defense goes, I love what I see out there. Evero has a lot more to work with. Vic was hamstrung by a defensive line that couldn't stop the run. This year we have a healthy Mike Purcell and DJ Jones lining up next to him. Add in a healthy stable of pass rushers (assuming Gregory gets out there), and I expect to see more QB pressures and turnovers. It will be a very similar scheme with a different look altogether.

Comparing the 2015 D in camp to this D in camp:

It's build very differently. Josey Jewell is a big step down from Danny Trevathan. He's not going to stay with backs and tight ends in 1 on 1 coverage like Danny did. He can cover a zone for a couple of seconds, but he's really limited in that area. I do think that Jonas Griffith is a rising star. It's almost blasphemy to say, but this secondary can be every bit as good as the No Fly Zone was. The 2015 D had Von in his prime. This D doesn't have that, but it has a deeper group of pass rushers. Dremont can play the Malik Jackson role but the rest of the line is built differently. This group is talented and this defense has the ability to dominate. In my mind Evero is no Wade Phillips until proven otherwise. That doesn't mean that he won't be a great coordinator. If this defense goes out and dominates this season, he's probably going to end up as a head coach very soon. I don't know if that answers your question, but this defense looks great early on.

21. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

GEM

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information