Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ziggy's Training Camp Report- 8/2/22

UR, it sounds like you're going to camp frequently. Did the offense just have a bad day or has it looked like that from day 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The shank was the backup. Sam had a great day. Keep in mind that I'm not particularly a fan of his.

As far as that defense goes, I love what I see out there. Evero has a lot more to work with. Vic was hamstrung by a defensive line that couldn't stop the run. This year we have a healthy Mike Purcell and DJ Jones lining up next to him. Add in a healthy stable of pass rushers (assuming Gregory gets out there), and I expect to see more QB pressures and turnovers. It will be a very similar scheme with a different look altogether.

Comparing the 2015 D in camp to this D in camp:

It's build very differently. Josey Jewell is a big step down from Danny Trevathan. He's not going to stay with backs and tight ends in 1 on 1 coverage like Danny did. He can cover a zone for a couple of seconds, but he's really limited in that area. I do think that Jonas Griffith is a rising star. It's almost blasphemy to say, but this secondary can be every bit as good as the No Fly Zone was. The 2015 D had Von in his prime. This D doesn't have that, but it has a deeper group of pass rushers. Dremont can play the Malik Jackson role but the rest of the line is built differently. This group is talented and this defense has the ability to dominate. In my mind Evero is no Wade Phillips until proven otherwise. That doesn't mean that he won't be a great coordinator. If this defense goes out and dominates this season, he's probably going to end up as a head coach very soon. I don't know if that answers your question, but this defense looks great early on.
    After one practice 2015 year your were RAVING about the defense flying around. I just was curious to see how you thought this one is to that. I think this one is really really good. I agree about the dbs 100%. No fly is back. It will get its own name I am sure, but they are ridiculously good!
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

3. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

UR, it sounds like you're going to camp frequently. Did the offense just have a bad day or has it looked like that from day 1?
    It has gotten better each day. Today I thought was its best day. I know many are saying that it is not that good and no WOW plays, but I am not getting that feeling. I am quite worried about the line though. They keep messing up. Bolles is doing well. The G and C always seem to let pressure in. Calvin Anderson has been ok when he is 1v1, but when not hes getting burned because lack of communication.

The offense has not looked great really any day, but I am not worried. The WR have not been aggressive on the ball like we know they can be. Some throws have been off as they sort timing. The DBs have broken up sooooooooo many passes caught, but knocked the ball out. The play action is working now that pads are on. I think when they didnt have to worry about the run they could lock up. Now not as much. ALSO- DJ has been out as well as slot CB williams and Kjax, so the D has been short a few guys.

Having said all of that. I literally have no worries about the offense. It feels to me like we are just cruising through 1st gear, then moving to 2nd, keeping the RPMS real high. I do not think we have opened anything up yet. I could be 100% wrong, but everything has been quick, middle, kinda predictive. When we audible or Russ calls his own plays we ball. IDK man. Sure I would like to see more, but I really think our defense is the real deal and it is going to really stop opposing teams. IF i am right and that is the case then our offense should look pretty darn good against other teams when we go live.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    It has gotten better each day. Today I thought was its best day. I know many are saying that it is not that good and no WOW plays, but I am not getting that feeling. I am quite worried about the line though. They keep messing up. Bolles is doing well. The G and C always seem to let pressure in. Calvin Anderson has been ok when he is 1v1, but when not hes getting burned because lack of communication.

The offense has not looked great really any day, but I am not worried. The WR have not been aggressive on the ball like we know they can be. Some throws have been off as they sort timing. The DBs have broken up sooooooooo many passes caught, but knocked the ball out. The play action is working now that pads are on. I think when they didnt have to worry about the run they could lock up. Now not as much. ALSO- DJ has been out as well as slot CB williams and Kjax, so the D has been short a few guys.

Having said all of that. I literally have no worries about the offense. It feels to me like we are just cruising through 1st gear, then moving to 2nd, keeping the RPMS real high. I do not think we have opened anything up yet. I could be 100% wrong, but everything has been quick, middle, kinda predictive. When we audible or Russ calls his own plays we ball. IDK man. Sure I would like to see more, but I really think our defense is the real deal and it is going to really stop opposing teams. IF i am right and that is the case then our offense should look pretty darn good against other teams when we go live.

Oh, and this is going piss many off, but Melvin Gordon has totally outplayed Pookie in camp. Just saying. We know I love pookie. I called his draft selection for the trade up. We know I like Gordon a lot too, but Gordon has had better runs and infinitely not even close great plays in pass game.

With that said, pookie skill is breaking tackles and pushing piles which is not being done right now, so his skillset is not really able to be showcase yet. Still Gordon has outplayed him.

Also, Boone is going to light up some teams this year. So glad we will finally use him. Stupid shurmer and fangio or whomever.
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

Javonte game ain’t gone stand out when it’s vs teammates going 50-70 percent speed. Williams is a head basher and loves crashing into bodies. I doubt it’s going to look like the flash of Melvin with nobody really trying to hit let alone tackle.

It was the same song last year Williams was quiet in camp but picking up the playbook and etc quickly and then we know what happened during the regular season he started to feast and Melvin feasted as well. Both guys will feast

Quote Originally Posted by Jeudy10Hamler1 View Post
    Javonte game ain’t gone stand out when it’s vs teammates going 50-70 percent speed. Williams is a head basher and loves crashing into bodies. I doubt it’s going to look like the flash of Melvin with nobody really trying to hit let alone tackle.

It was the same song last year Williams was quiet in camp but picking up the playbook and etc quickly and then we know what happened during the regular season he started to feast and Melvin feasted as well. Both guys will feast
    Both will feast!
    Melvin will be used a lot more this year in pass game. 100% sure of that. Every day he is working on catching passes and talking with russ and catching passes from russ.
    Pookie has had a lot more RZ/Goal line work in camp this year whereas Gordon did a lot of that before. Both will feast and I see a scenario very similar to GB or CLE. Dillong and Jones, Chubb and Hunt. More Chubb and Hunt than Dillon and Jones, but I am targetting Gordon in FF because he is going like rd 10 or later and will have nearly as good numbers, maybe not as good but pretty close I bet to Jevaonte who is rd 3 or so.
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeudy10Hamler1 View Post

Javonte doesn't have the vision Melvin does, and he's not as good in the pass game. I think it will be a pretty even split again this year with Javonte getting more work between the 20's and Melvin getting more in the red zone.

After one practice 2015 year your were RAVING about the defense flying around. I just was curious to see how you thought this one is to that. I think this one is really really good. I agree about the dbs 100%. No fly is back. It will get its own name I am sure, but they are ridiculously good!
    Good memory UT. This defense has special written all over it. It was easy to know that they were going to be great in 2015 because you could see the talent and you knew we had one of the best coordinators in the league. This defense has a very similar talent level, but we don't know what Evero is going to be yet. I have a good feeling about him. We'll see week one.

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

I went again today. The offense looked much better. The offensive line still has a ways to go. I'm still not sold on Calvin. He got burned twice for quick sacks again today. Once to Malik and once to Baron Browning.

Montrell made another spectacular catch for a TD. That kid just seems to make plays every day. The other star of camp today for me was Demarri Mathis. Great coverage and pass breakups all day long. He got some time with the ones at one point, and showed out. The play calling was phenomenal today. There were battles back and forth but the offense definitely won the day today. Minerz is a flat out stud. He's going to be putting some defenders in the dirt with this blocking scheme. Jeudy looked great today. He was making DBs look silly.

I'd advise folks not to base too much on the tweets that come out during practice. I saw a couple of them talking about big plays that never would have happened due to sacks.

Stars of the day:

Jerry Jeudy- He was shaken' and bakin' his way open all day long and flat out embarrassing defenders.
    Montrell Washington- He looks like he has that 'it' factor. He'll be fun to watch in preseason.
    Quinn Meinerz- Dominant, fast, strong, and nasty. He followed the receiver down the field on a big play and was running like a tight end at 320 pounds.
    Damarri Mathis- Now that the pads are on, he's in his element. He broke up at least 2 passes and had great coverage on a few more.
    Bradley Chubb- He's 100%. He looks way to quick to be 270 pounds.
    Baron Browning- Most of his snaps were with second team, but he was dominating again.
    Brandon Johnson- He ran quite a bit with the first team offense and made some big catches. He was playing the Tim Patrick role and took full advantage of the opportunity.

Rough Day for:
    Ronald Darby- He was beat at least 3 times for big plays today. They aren't throwing much at PS2. I'm not worried about him. He's solid, but he had a bad day today.
    JaQuan McMillan- He was beat by everyone he faced in drills. I don't think I've seen a DB looking that slow in pads in many years.
    Luke Wattenberg- He got an opportunity to run with the first team after a botched snap by Cush. He struggled in pass blocking and gave up a sack early on.

Another note- The Broncos had one on ones with the WR's and DB's.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 08-06-2022 at 06:01 PM.

13. The Following 7 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I went again today. The offense looked much better. The offensive line still has a ways to go. I'm still not sold on Calvin. He got burned twice for quick sacks again today. Once to Malik and once to Baron Browning.

Montrell made another spectacular catch for a TD. That kid just seems to make plays every day. The other star of camp today for me was Demarri Mathis. Great coverage and pass breakups all day long. He got some time with the ones at one point, and showed out. The play calling was phenomenal today. There were battles back and forth but the offense definitely won the day today. Minerz is a flat out stud. He's going to be putting some defenders in the dirt with this blocking scheme. Jeudy looked great today. He was making DBs look silly.

I'd advise folks not to base too much on the tweets that come out during practice. I saw a couple of them talking about big plays that never would have happened due to sacks.

Stars of the day:

Jerry Jeudy- He was shaken' and bakin' his way open all day long and flat out embarrassing defenders.
    Montrell Washington- He looks like he has that 'it' factor. He'll be fun to watch in preseason.
    Quinn Meinerz- Dominant, fast, strong, and nasty. He followed the receiver down the field on a big play and was running like a tight end at 320 pounds.
    This shit right her has me with plantet-boner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

15. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    This shit right her has me with plantet-boner
    P and I were talking and we should all meet up at camp this week.

Zig, hawg, Joe, whomever else is local and nearby....come hang for a couple hours and let's watch camp! Hawg you can make it! Joe, you're retired I want zero excuses from you! Dogfish you get a pass I suppose, but you should still come say hi to P and I. Anyone else let's do this!
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

P and I were talking and we should all meet up at camp this week.

Zig, hawg, Joe, whomever else is local and nearby....come hang for a couple hours and let's watch camp! Hawg you can make it! Joe, you're retired I want zero excuses from you! Dogfish you get a pass I suppose, but you should still come say hi to P and I. Anyone else let's do this!
    Yesterday was my last opportunity to go this year. Next year let's try to work it out though.

18. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

As an aside, I just want to say that PS2 has hall of fame talent. He has no flaws in his game that I can see. Great length, good speed, flawless technique. He has the work ethic and humility to go along with it. I think he'll be a perennial all-pro soon. What a great first pick for Paton.

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

As an aside, I just want to say that PS2 has hall of fame talent. He has no flaws in his game that I can see. Great length, good speed, flawless technique. He has the work ethic and humility to go along with it. I think he'll be a perennial all-pro soon. What a great first pick for Paton.
    That is what I think.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information