Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DT had stage 2 CTE

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Default DT had stage 2 CTE

Not sure if this has already been discussed but apparently DT had stage 2 CTE. https://concussionfoundation.org/new...ed-stage-2-cte

I've asked this before but I wish we had more info on CTE. I would like to know what an average rough housing (for a lack of a better term) male's brain would look like in terms of CTE compared to a typical NFL player's? By rough housing male maybe we could define risk categories. I'll take myself as an example. I would say I:
    Have had 10+- bicycle/atv wrecks that would be classified as moderate to severe
    Have been in 7 or so fist fights that included hits to the head
    Have played 12 or more seasons of contact sports
    Have bumped my head 20 or more times hard enough to cause a headache or worse.

I would guess I fit in a risk category that would be higher than average, but I really don't know. Are there some things I'm missing?

I'd like to see a database that people could volunteer for and keep these kind of stats updated then donate their brains after death for study and maybe we could learn more about this. Maybe this already exists.

Whatever the reality is it's sad.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

2. The Following 8 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

To my knowledge there is no current way to determine CTE until after someone has passed. But i also wonder if it all effects people differently as i think Aikman has had like 8 concussions or something like that he seems to be able to function relatively well post career.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

RIP DT. It's awful such a great man suffered so much. I hate it.

Regarding Chazoe:
    Why do you get in so many fights? You're a nice man! Stop fighting! I'm presuming you won all of them because you're a big strong man with hate in your heart! Well, you used to. Now you're a huggy-bear.

https://www.cdc.gov/headsup/basics/c..._symptoms.html

I'd go talk to your doctor on your next visit.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived King87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    RIP DT. It's awful such a great man suffered so much. I hate it.

Regarding Chazoe:
    Why do you get in so many fights? You're a nice man! Stop fighting! I'm presuming you won all of them because you're a big strong man with hate in your heart! Well, you used to. Now you're a huggy-bear.

https://www.cdc.gov/headsup/basics/c..._symptoms.html

I'd go talk to your doctor on your next visit.
    Haven't been in a fight in a couple of decades. But when I was younger I was a scrapper.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

The more these incidents of CTE come out, and the more widespread it is, the more I wonder if pushing kids to play this sport at a young age when they don't know about the long-term effects of playing it is a good thing.

10. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jerry Rosburg

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    The more these incidents of CTE come out, and the more widespread it is, the more I wonder if pushing kids to play this sport at a young age when they don't know about the long-term effects of playing it is a good thing.
    I'm sure playing football didn't help, but I would attribute DT's issues to the Traumatic Brain Injury he suffered in an automobile accident. There are a bunch of ways to hurt the ol' bean.

That said, I recall playing peewee football in Lakewood. We used to do a bunch of tackling drills. One time I was up against the biggest guy on the team and lunged. We hit helmet to helmet. There was a very loud 'crack' noise. The untrained coaches were gushing about what a great hit that was. I was seeing starts but kept at it. I'm sure that couldn't have been healthy, and probably the sort of activity that results in me never being able to find my keys.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tbolt For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    If hadit to do over again I wouldn't let my son play football. His head is fine but a shoulder injury sustained and made worse multiple times ruined a promising baseball career, not MLB or anything but DII or DIII college for sure. But he also got to experience being a major contributor for a state championship HS football team, is it fair to wish that away from him?
    Let's Rid3!!!!

14. The Following 9 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

My youngest son (8 yo) is just now expressing sincere interest in playing football.

I'm not going to get him involved until much later. No need for such young kids to be exposed to possible long-term brain injury. I see these peewee leagues around and just can't figure out what they're thinking now that we see the effects.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    My youngest son (8 yo) is just now expressing sincere interest in playing football.

I'm not going to get him involved until much later. No need for such young kids to be exposed to possible long-term brain injury. I see these peewee leagues around and just can't figure out what they're thinking now that we see the effects.
    I played PeeWee and I'm fine.

I played PeeWee and I'm fine.

I played PeeWee and..........what was I saying?
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Squirrel!

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

CTE is kind of like climate change for me where it seems like it must be directionally correct and something to avoid -- e.g. - brain injuries are bad. Polluting our drinking water with chemicals is bad.

But then when you actually try to quantify it, that's when things get tricky. How many brain injuries lead to problematic outcomes? How much does it vary person by person? Why are some people affected more than others? Feels like we have a long way to go here...

19. The Following 7 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

I’m sure I’m right up there. I’ve had quite a few concussions, at least two resulting in loss of consciousness, a motorcycle wreck with a bad head injury, multiple fistfights, training events, combat, contact sports throughout my entire adulthood until just a few years ago, etc.

21. The Following 4 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    I’m sure I’m right up there. I’ve had quite a few concussions, at least two resulting in loss of consciousness, a motorcycle wreck with a bad head injury, multiple fistfights, training events, combat, contact sports throughout my entire adulthood until just a few years ago, etc.
    It also depends on the time in between events and "hits". MMA fighters appears to lower percentage OF CTE because fights aren't occurring as frequent and there longer rest between fights.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived elsid13 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

The NFL will be over by 2050.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    The NFL will be over by 2050.
    I don't think so, but I think those new helmet covers that we are seeing in NFL practices will be used at all levels of football by 2030 and to hell with aesthetics. If these new things reduce impact and can save guys like Seau and DT in retirement, the NFL needs to take the lead and implement them ASAP on gamedays.

The spread offense at the lower levels has definitely played a part in saving the sport, because the style of play ends up being less physical with linebackers having to cover more rather than simply tee off on a running back or key in on only two receivers. It's hard to set up kill shots on guys when you have to account for many receiving threats on one side of the field every down. A guy like John Lynch or Steve Atwater would have a tougher time coming up in today's game because the position of safety is significantly skewed more towards the passing game than it was 30 years ago.

26. The Following User High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information