Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: DT had stage 2 CTE

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I think the answer will ultimately come through technology. I don't think we'll ever be able to enjoy real NFL football and eliminate CTE but my hope is that someday technology will advance helmet technology to a point that we greatly reduce it. I also hope to see medical advancements both mental and physical advancements that allow us to treat the symptoms and effects of CTE. Short of banning football I think those are our best options for the future.
    Curious what technology is going to eliminate the effects of collisions? Air bags in helmets aren’t a viable solution.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    We would lose something beautifully violent if football and other contact sports were gone.
    Let's be honest too, there'd be a lot of guys, whole families actually, that would languish in poverty that otherwise wouldn't. A good percentage of the Millionaires in the NFL come from low ince families and communities. Those guys know about CTE and still make the choice to play the game because the benefit outweighs the cons to them. This does not mean we give up trying to fix the issue.

My guess is that if someone from the future showed us an NFL from the year 2200 we'd all be shocked.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Curious what technology is going to eliminate the effects of collisions? Air bags in helmets aren’t a viable solution.
    I think we're fairly close to see kind of helmet technology that will end up helping quite a bit. I don't know what it will be but I have faith in technological advancement and believe there is something that will help.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

4. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Perhaps they love the game too. I follow Terrell Owens on FB. He’s my age and still looks 25. PTs like he’s 25. Majority of football players don’t get CTE, or they don’t have the effects. Or, they don’t publicize it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Let's be honest too, there'd be a lot of guys, whole families actually, that would languish in poverty that otherwise wouldn't. A good percentage of the Millionaires in the NFL come from low ince families and communities. Those guys know about CTE and still make the choice to play the game because the benefit outweighs the cons to them. This does not mean we give up trying to fix the issue.

My guess is that if someone from the future showed us an NFL from the year 2200 we'd all be shocked.
    That's the fiscal analysis: how many guys make that payoff versus the guys who play and don't get the payoff? Like the guys who languish in the AA schools or the like.

I'm guessing in 2200 we'll have athletes piloting mechs on the gridiron. Or forcefields around the ole noggin. Who knows?

7. The Following User High Fived King87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

2200....there will be no Earth

9. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

2200....there will be no Earth
    **** right!

We would lose something beautifully violent if football and other contact sports were gone.
    Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I’m more into the women’s lingerie football.

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I've read that a lot of DL/OL get CTE just from the constant collisions at the line of scrimmage. But I do agree with Spike: it's going to be hard to get NFL caliber players if there are fewer players in the high schools and colleges playing. Maybe the game does have to change. And physicality has always been the weapon of defense. But, with that being said, the Rams just won a SB with elite speed and power at DL/OLB. While the "well, I got beat so I'll just grab the WR/TE," days of the NFL are over, and while safeties have to actually cover guys and not just hit them in the melon, it's a more skillful game. Not better, worse. Defense can still win championships, but it's just that offense has a few more advantages these days. That's just the reverse of what the NFL used to be.

I also think that offenses can be held in check via rules and rule enforcement. OPI happens all the time these days and it should be called more. Pick/rub plays should be penalized when they go too far. We should return to the days when offensive lineman were holding elite pass rushers.

Just food for thought and the like.
    Spearing by DBs and LBs was outlawed years ago even before the Atwater days. The old Steelers and Raider’s defense resulted in this. Spiker is correct that penalties have really tightened in what they call “targeting” nowadays.

As far as the big men on the lines, there is no way around the contact. It’s like rams battling for position and doing their jobs. Again, health of players in contact football is nothing short of flag football or a Pro Bowl prototype. Fans will leave in groves. Fans love the physical brutality of contact football and every player knows what they are getting into when committing to this sport.

15. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Spearing by DBs and LBs was outlawed years ago even before the Atwater days. The old Steelers and Raider’s defense resulted in this. Spiker is correct that penalties have really tightened in what they call “targeting” nowadays.

As far as the big men on the lines, there is no way around the contact. It’s like rams battling for position and doing their jobs. Again, health of players in contact football is nothing short of flag football or a Pro Bowl prototype. Fans will leave in groves. Fans love the physical brutality of contact football and every player knows what they are getting into when committing to this sport.
    They could outlaw the three point stance on the DL/OL. That would help limit helmet to helmet hits.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived elsid13 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    They could outlaw the three point stance on the DL/OL. That would help limit helmet to helmet hits.
    True. I’ve never been a lineman and I’d have to research the reason for the three point stance.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Makes sense. Something I never thought of.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14A5E8BB-1D5D-4ACD-B3A8-ED1556001A64.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	20555

My sons are definitely playing football. I like all the new helmets and safety stuff they have. However In a perfect world my sons would play baseball and get that big bag without much dangerous physical contact

Quote Originally Posted by Jeudy10Hamler1 View Post
    My sons are definitely playing football.
    Do they have a say?
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information