Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: USC, UCLA joining Big 10; Rest of Pac-12 Could Collapse

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Default USC, UCLA joining Big 10; Rest of Pac-12 Could Collapse

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...pac-12-big-ten

There goes the LA market. PAC-12 is stuck negotiating a new TV deal without two of their most marketable schools. If any other school bolts, the league is in danger of breaking up. Oregon (aka Nike University) is going to find a lifeline, probably the Big 12 if the Big 10 isn't expanding beyond 16 teams. After that, Washington has some name value while the two Arizona schools, Utah and Colorado make geographic sense. The rest? Hello, Mountain West.

There's also the chance the Pac-12 tries to move on recruiting Boise State and San Diego State but they don't really rise to the snooty attitude that the conference has been known for. Also, the Pac-12 could try a full-on merger with the Big 12, resulting in a 22-school monstrosity.

Cal is not a cultural fit ("ewwww. You have Mormons? And Baptists? You don't worship Gaia?"). The only school Cal liked was UT-Austin and -oops! - they've left for the Dukes Of Hazard Conference.

Do the CU Buffaloes come back to the Big 12 with their tiny tails tucked between their legs? Will they bring the Utes with them?

We could see a Big-16 with a western wing of Oregon, Washington, Colorado and ??? along with BYU who is just arriving. Last summer, the Big-12 was given up for dead and now they look like they are in the driver's seat to add any school not in the SEC or the Big 10.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I never understood all the moving around to different conferences. So weird.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Now that geography doesn't matter at all, I think what's left of the Big 12, Pac 12, and ACC should just combine to make a 3rd superconference. That gives you Oregon, Washington, Utah, AZ, AZ St, Oklahoma St, Baylor, Iowa St, Clemson, Miami, Florida State, UNC at least off the top of my head as mid level to premium members. Not a bad conference.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I never understood all the moving around to different conferences. So weird.
    Money. Big 10 will have a way bigger TV deal than the Pac 12. If you're not sure why stuff like this happens, the answer is money.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Money. Big 10 will have a way bigger TV deal than the Pac 12. If you're not sure why stuff like this happens, the answer is money.
    Yea, i kind of knew that was some of the reasoning but man so many long term rivalries are ruined because of all the shuffling.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Yea, i kind of knew that was some of the reasoning but man so many long term rivalries are ruined because of all the shuffling.
    Yeah I really don't like the direction college football is going in. It's great that the players are getting paid now and they absolutely deserve it, but it feels like the soul of that sport that has made it great is dying. It's essentially just becoming NFL 2.0. The smaller/less relevant schools are going to be the ones hosed in the end. All the bigger schools are going to make these superconferences and the small schools will get left holding the bag.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

One silver lining, though: the rivalries that might die on paper could stay alive with out of conference scheduling/the new conferences will breed new rivals and 'bad blood'. I'll be interested to see if the popularity of the sport stays about the same five or six years after the super conferences are all established and smoothed out.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I can't get as excited because the players today are more like mercenaries that now play for the highest bidder, not the school they felt partial to. Then, as soon as they encounter any hardship, they hop into the transfer portal and move on to another school. Whoever is signed, there's no guarantee they'll be there 2-3 years later so you can't get as attached to them as you could in the past.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

College football is a joke if you aren't one of like 10 teams. Product has been in decline for 20 years. Conferences don't make any sense - bowl games don't make any sense - the playoff system is fatally flawed. Have almost zero use for it.

14. The Following 6 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    College football is a joke if you aren't one of like 10 teams. Product has been in decline for 20 years. Conferences don't make any sense - bowl games don't make any sense - the playoff system is fatally flawed. Have almost zero use for it.
    The gambling hoisting it up?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Expanding the playoff to 16 teams is the only thing that's going to potentially end the stranglehold that Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, and Oklahoma currently have over the sport. All the players go to the same 4 teams because only 4 teams can make the playoff. If 16 teams suddenly have a chance every year, that talent will start to spread about a bit. The 4 team playoff is the biggest thing holding the sport down right now.

17. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    I can't get as excited because the players today are more like mercenaries that now play for the highest bidder, not the school they felt partial to. Then, as soon as they encounter any hardship, they hop into the transfer portal and move on to another school. Whoever is signed, there's no guarantee they'll be there 2-3 years later so you can't get as attached to them as you could in the past.
    I'm torn on this. On one hand, all the transfers definitely suck as a fan. On the other hand, coaches can move around from school to school with no recourse, so it seems unfair that a player would have to stick around to play for a coach they didn't sign up for. Or if you sign somewhere, then the next year they sign another 5* at your position and start him, you can either ride the bench or go somewhere you'll play. I get why players do it. CFB is a means to an end for them to get to the NFL.

19. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

If the Pac-12 collapses, I think you wind up with four 16-20-team superconferences that will each have a seat at the table. Four conference champions work easily into a four-team playoff with the conference championship games serving as the de facto quarterfinals.

In my dream scenario, the Big Whatever lures Notre Dame from the ACC. The Big 10 has always made more sense but the Irish remember decades ago when they wanted to join the Big 10 and was told they'd never approve of a Catholic school in their conference. Notre Dame has never forgotten that.

Notre Dame would be the only "whale" left with national visibility. The Big whatever can add Oregon and whichever two other PAC-12 schools to get to 16. you'd then have (West to East) Oregon, PAC1, PAC2, BYU, Texas Tech, Kansas, K-State, Okie State, TCU, Houston, Baylor, Iowa St., Notre Dame, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Cent. Florida.

ACC can stay as they are and maybe find two more schools to add, possibly Memphis and UAB. If they want to have divisions, they can do that or if they just want to have annual rivalries plus the "best 2 teams" championship game, they can do that.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Once Nebraska/Colorado got separated from the Big 12, College Football started to be trash.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

BTW, if the ACC wants to snag Kansas and West Virginia from the Big 12, I could be okay with that. It's comical how badly Kansas wants to join the Big 10 as they get passed over for Nebraska, Penn State, (neither of which is worth a crap in basketball), Maryland and Rutgers. Yet they still dream like the scrawny kid that yearns to date the supermodel. Sad.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information