Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Laptop recommendations

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    https://www.newegg.com/

NewEgg is a very good online store. They can customize what you want.

https://discountelectronics.com/

Discount Electronics is an excellent store for refurbished Windows-based PCs.

When I moved out of the U.S., I knew a laptop would be much lighter than a desktop, so I bought a Dell Latitude E-6510 from Discount Electronics and loaded it with the most RAM and hard drive space it could hold. Transfered everything from the desktop to the laptop, scanned a ton of documents and family photos and headed out with still about half free space available on the hard drive. I back up regularly on external hard drive and use two anti-viruses, a firewall and a VPN. The original set up was around $450. Served me well for three years so far. Good luck with it.
    what the **** are you doing in Panama and since when?!

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

MacBook Air is perfect for you. It's light, portable, powerful, and it will do everything for you.

3. The Following User High Fived Magnificent Seven For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    what the **** are you doing in Panama and since when?!
    Three years now. Got my permanent visa, drivers license and government ID. About 5 years ago, it dawned on me that the "American Dream" was moving farther away for me, not getting closer. So I thought, "what if I moved to a place where I could spend a lot less?" I picked out a mountain town (about the size of Georgetown, CO) called Boquete where the weather is beautiful much of the time, their currency is the U.S. Dollar and the cost of living is about 60% of what you pay in the States. There are many English-speakers here as well as an English-speaking church of my faith. Perfecto! I retired and moved here three summers ago and between Social Security and two monthly pensions from previous employers, I can live decently and within my budget.

No place is perfect but I feel very blessed to find a place where I can live well, the locals are peaceful and friendly, transportation system works well, health care is decent, I've got working internet most of the time, lots of tv choices and staying out of the societal meltdown which appears coming to the U.S. (sadly to say). Down here, they say life is "tranquilo" - a much easier pace of life. I can still vote in my state's US elections and I pay taxes to the U.S., not Panama.

If you just want to live cheaper, Mexico is the better move but I think the government there is just too corrupt and unstable. Panama acts like a police state sometimes but they fully understand that you don't hassle the gringos without a darn good reason so we get left alone. There's crime but far less than most metropolitan areas in the U.S. Sometimes, I think we get more respect than we deserve.
    Last edited by OrangeHoof; 06-28-2022 at 06:12 PM.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Three years now. Got my permanent visa, drivers license and government ID. About 5 years ago, it dawned on me that the "American Dream" was moving farther away for me, not getting closer. So I thought, "what if I moved to a place where I could spend a lot less?" I picked out a mountain town (about the size of Georgetown, CO) called Boquete where the weather is beautiful much of the time, their currency is the U.S. Dollar and the cost of living is about 60% of what you pay in the States. There are many English-speakers here as well as an English-speaking church of my faith. Perfecto! I retired and moved here three summers ago and between Social Security and two monthly pensions from previous employers, I can live decently and within my budget.

No place is perfect but I feel very blessed to find a place where I can live well, the locals are peaceful and friendly, transportation system works well, health care is decent, I've got working internet most of the time, lots of tv choices and staying out of the societal meltdown which appears coming to the U.S. (sadly to say). Down here, they say life is "tranquilo" - a much easier pace of life. I can still vote in my state's US elections and I pay taxes to the U.S., not Panama.

If you just want to live cheaper, Mexico is the better move but I think the government there is just too corrupt and unstable. Panama acts like a police state sometimes but they fully understand that you don't hassle the gringos without a darn good reason so we get left alone. There's crime but far less than most metropolitan areas in the U.S. Sometimes, I think we get more respect than we deserve.
    How's your spanish? Do you have electricity and running water?

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I've been learning. It's much better than when I first arrived but I have trouble keeping up. Yes, I have electricity and hot running water both but the power goes out about twice a week - sometimes for a few minutes and sometimes for hours. I heard a transformer blow around 10 o'clock the other night and it was back on around 2 a.m. I have an electric light which is a 6x6 grid of LED bulbs that I keep charged for emergencies. That sucker can light up a whole room. I call it the "birthday cake". You learn to adapt. Living in Latin America is an adventure. You have to accept life as it comes and not get too annoyed when things don't work.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Russell Wilson

Brand-wise, Toshiba. A little more money but to me worth it. I have a 10 year old dinosaur on original battery and it's still kicking. My old HP died after less than 3 years. Only don't buy Toshiba tablets. Mine died after about 2 years. Black screen, no booting. Used it for college. Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by slimeball View Post
    Brand-wise, Toshiba. A little more money but to me worth it. I have a 10 year old dinosaur on original battery and it's still kicking. My old HP died after less than 3 years. Only don't buy Toshiba tablets. Mine died after about 2 years. Black screen, no booting. Used it for college. Never again.
    In computer years (similar to dog years), that's like a 24 year old computer.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information