Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos 2022 NFL Draft Thread 04/28/22-04/30/22

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Mike Klis
    @mikeklis
    ·
    42m
    Broncos have 71 players plus 9 rookies for 80 slots on their 90-man roster. They can sign up to 10 undrafted rookies in the minutes after the draft.
    #9sports
    I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Honestly, I'm not seeing anything to get all excited about. Yes, I know they gave up two picks for Wilson. That's what this draft was really about as will next year's but I just don't see anyone that, five years later, we'll be telling ourselves "man, that was a great draft". Not angry, just not impressed. Of course, there's plenty of time for some guys to change my mind. Or maybe we find the next Rod Smith among the UDFA's.
    Not really sure how your getting that feeling but this was a very very good draft my guy. On top of that you haven’t even seen any of these guys play on our team to say they’ll be just whatever guy’s in 5 year’s. There’s noway dulcich bonnito Mathis and Washington won’t be impact guys from day one. You come away with 4 impact guys from day one without your first and 2nd round pick you’ve done an amazing job.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Mike Klis
    @mikeklis
    ·
    3m
    Broncos are signing Alabama LB Chris Allen as undrafted college free agent, per source. Good player who had foot injury last year. 6-4, 242. #9sports

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

4. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

The broncos now have Chubb, Gregory, cooper, Reid , bonnito, EU, Jones as pass rusher’s from OLB to the DL, didn’t include browning because idk what there real plan for him is….. personally feel like he’s a MLB but also heard he was being moved to OLB. Nonetheless I think we have a great group of guys who can raise hell on quarterback’s.

Combine that with having a legit DB group and I think we’re going to terrorize quarterbacks this season.

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Random first thoughts:

- Nik Bonitto is expected to produce. Denver has had issues with keeping edge rushers healthy, so adding another one makes perfect sense. Gregory and Chubb are not 17 game locks, so this reminds me of Shaq Barrett getting reps when some other options went down. Chaz tells me that the Oklahoma defense does not play the way Denver will play, but Denver also picked two athletes at edge and S from that Oklahoma defense, so I dunno. They definitely expect some things to translate, even if Bonitto needs to get bigger and learn to put his hand on the ground more. I assume because he can play in space as well and is not just situational pass rushing that this moves Browning back inside - and since they didn't draft an ILB that just doubles my feeling. Grab good players who make you better. Hopefully this does.

- Broncos took niche offensive weapons with a tall, pass-catching TE and a kick returner. It makes sense: they have a cadre of wide talented receivers that they just paid, and brought back Gordon for the backfield. Not a lot of room to work in backfield or outside options. But they replaced the TE they traded, and that's fine. Dulcich especially is the guy they focused on offensively, and getting a mismatch down the seam for their new quarterback mattered to them. That makes it matter to me.

- Added some meat and potatoes. Eyioma Uwazurike and Matt Henningsen are attempts to replace Shelby Harris, or at least provide situation options with Uwazurike more inside and Henningsen trying to be explosive outside. Wattenberg is maybe a little light to be considered an IOL option at both guard and center, but he fits a more mobile offensive line situation. A lot of what they did in the trenches seemed to be aimed at adjusting approach. DL and OL are both rotational situations especially for the Broncos the last few years, so getting guys who can fit in and pick up new situations seems useful. Not expecting home runs here - maybe Uwazurike becomes a pocket crushing interior monster, or Henningsen turns into Jared Allen or Wattenberg is the next Tom Nalen in this scheme, but I don't expect it. Denver needed bodies here for insurance, drafted them, and we'll see if they work out.

- Defensive backfield reserves was a need and they threw picks at it. The uber-aggressive CB Mathis, undersized-but-game S Turner-Yell, and nickel-in-training Hicks give Denver options. When you switch schemes, guys who are one-scheme players (like Ojemudia, potentially) can get squeezed and may not be able to make the transition that Denver needs. Getting in more bodies that can do what you need makes it easier to make calls as you get to the end of camp about who can help you and who is overmatched. The NFL is cruel, and it's not a player's fault that a scheme changes away from what he's good at, but Denver can't afford massive lapses in the secondary this year - and they have to be covered if the injury bug strikes again. This is a big patch for that.

- High floors matter too. Denver went "No T, No ILB" again. Not a fan of that, but plans change when your first two picks go to bring you a HOF player. Denver is working on sealing up the boat and raising that floor so they don't waste any of the Wilson Years. The ceiling for this team is incredibly high, they just can't get sabotaged by cruel whims of fate. You don't want to press rookies into major early duty, but if it happens hopefully some of these guys are ready to contribute. It's why I see them grabbing the older players, especially for the trenches, to make sure they're physically ready and have been team leaders that won't get overwhelmed. Denver had a ton of rookie contributors last year, and I don't think that was an accident. If it happens again this year, it won't be either.

Now we'll see what UDFAs they add and get into camp.

Arranging the roster is almost done - soon enough we'll see it on the field.
    Last edited by G_Money; 04-30-2022 at 06:32 PM.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

8. The Following 10 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Andrew Mason
    @MaseDenver
    ·
    6m
    George Paton said that Nik Bonitto was in the draft room before the Broncos picked his Oklahoma teammate and close friend, Delarrin Turner-Yell. Paton asked Bonitto about him.
    -----------------

LOL I mean take advantage of the knowledge in the room I guess.
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Andrew Mason
    @MaseDenver
    ·
    9m
    George Paton: “We wanted to pick up picks for next year.” Said they wanted more than the R3 pick from IND for next year, but “it didn’t work out.”

Of the current 5-pick haul for 2023, Paton adds, “We’ll have a lot more than that” by next year’s draft.

--------------------------

So they were trying to let people trade up to get picks swapped to next year, but couldn't make it happen. Instead they maybe drafted Ojemudia's replacement instead and can move him to another team for a late-round pick. Sort out the roster and make the trades you can to recoup.
    -- James Dean

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Undrafteds so far that I've found:

Appalachian State WR Jalen Virgil - bigger-than-normal UDFA bonus, gonna compete for that kick returner role I assume. He did a lot of that in college, very fast - one of those tiny go-route guys that small schools like. Upside here.

Central Florida WR Brandon Johnson - Special teams for a different reason. Reasonably sized WR (like 6'2), catches everything, doesn't run away from anyone. Get him in the room with Tim Patrick and see what happens I guess. Might be a PS guy.

Hawaii CB Cortez Davis - another smaller fighter at CB to go with what Denver is apparently trying to do in the secondary. Call this the Chris Harris prayer pick - you never know.

Alabama LB Christopher Allen - broke his foot in the first game. Alabama players always get looks, this is kind of a steal to me. Had 13 TFL last year. Big, raw, lost development time this year. Perfect stab at getting a real player in the undrafted market.
    -- James Dean

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Mike Klis
    @mikeklis
    ·
    34m
    Paton said Montrell Washington has good chance to be dual returner. Hackett says Browning stays on outside. #9sports

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Minot State OT/G Sebastian Gutierrez - I don't know where Minot State is. He grew up a Champ Bailey fan though, so that seems poetic. 6'6, 300+. Converted from TE to OT halfway through college so the feet are good, but he's all raw material to work with.
    -- James Dean

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Mike Klis
    @mikeklis
    ·
    34m
    Paton said Montrell Washington has good chance to be dual returner. Hackett says Browning stays on outside. #9sports

That second part is interesting. Why is Hackett trying to contradict my perfectly reasonable interpretations of his draft.
    -- James Dean

16. The Following 4 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Denver Broncos was live.
    51 mins ·
    #BroncosCountry LIVE: GM George Paton & Coach Hackett meet the media at the end of the #NFLDraft

https://www.facebook.com/Broncos/vid...6752287095092/

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Non sexy, but it's a B. A pass rusher, another weapon, special teams (so badly needed) and depth. I expect 1 more quality signing once teams make cuts and then we ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

20. The Following User High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Another couple UDFAs:

Northwest Missouri State WR Kaden Davis. I know basically nothing about him. 6', 190, runs fast but not SO fast. Can return kicks. Deep outside threat from the couple minutes of highlights I watched, so you can't really tell what his interior route running is like. Good luck to him.

University of Buffalo LB Kadofi Wright. Size is fine at 6'3, 230. Ran a 4.52 at his Pro Day, says he's a good coverage LB against backs and TEs. Knocks have been consistency, so kind of a tools pick they might want to try to develop on the PS if he flashes in camp.
    Last edited by G_Money; 04-30-2022 at 07:22 PM.
    -- James Dean

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information