Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Pellet smokers

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiemac87 View Post
    I have so many little features to try out…

Tomorrow for Canadian thanksgiving I’m baking an apple cinnamon cake for dessert… don’t have apple pellets, but I’ll see how a competition blend works
    Sounds yum. I've fallen into the mode of using competition/gourmet (depending on brand) as my base to burn from the hopper, and then use smoke tubes with combo of pellets/chips of the wood variety I want to highlight (apple, cherry, maple, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Sounds yum. I've fallen into the mode of using competition/gourmet (depending on brand) as my base to burn from the hopper, and then use smoke tubes with combo of pellets/chips of the wood variety I want to highlight (apple, cherry, maple, etc).
    Nice. I’m going to get me a few of the watertight buns for pellets for Christmas. The new traeger s have a hopper dump so I can change things up easily for different cooks.

The round, pie shaped one works great. Did a test run in the small mode shown, and it was about 90 minutes of intense smoke. Then, flipped it over, and tried the long side, and burning one direction (created a gap in circle, so when lighting, forces it to burn in one direction, it was about 1/3 after two hours or so, so I think will burn for 6-7 hours, maybe a bit longer. The other nice thing is that due to it being open on top, you can reload, especially true if burning in "one direction" you can keep adding pellets/chips every hour or two, and let the thing keep adding smoke as long as you want (although I think the first 2-3 hours is key to most smokes).

Here's half of a boneless (except for drumsticks) spatchcocked chicken I made yesterday.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Mmmmm. Looks Great !

Nicely done. Might have to look at one of those.. a little extra smoke sometimes is a good thing.

My apple cinnamon cake is in he traeger right now.. nothing like baking on the BBQ

I love doing chicken on the traeger. People see the nice red smoke ring and freak out that it’s under done… until I talk them into tasting … I see you have a beautiful smoke on that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiemac87 View Post
    I love doing chicken on the traeger. People see the nice red smoke ring and freak out that it’s under done… until I talk them into tasting … I see you have a beautiful smoke on that one!
    Yea, much more visible on the breast, but this had a really nice smoke ring. This time I also started it at 180/super smoke, for only 30 minutes or so (spatchcocked, this was thin), then bounced it up to 350, to make sure the skin crisped up.

Yea, much more visible on the breast, but this had a really nice smoke ring. This time I also started it at 180/super smoke, for only 30 minutes or so (spatchcocked, this was thin), then bounced it up to 350, to make sure the skin crisped up.

Perfect…. I tried brining for the first time, combined with the traeger and it was, with no doubt the best turkey I ever had… and my mom was a master with the oven baked one method.

9. The Following User High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Just took baking out… looks and smells Amazing !

11. The Following User High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

I made a two rib standing rib roast today (5 lb, although probably trimmed 10-16 ounces of fat). 90 minutes at 180\super smoke, then 250 until internal of 120. Rested for 15, while heating pellet grill to 700, and did a 1 to 2 minute sear on each side. Started on grill grates, but then when a grease fire ignited, I finished sear over grease fire.

13. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

With neck messed up, hadn't cooked on pellet grill in a few months. Reverse seared a cowboy ribeye last weekend (wife and I split, with enough left over that she's going to use on a salad tonight).

This weekend going to do ribs for first time since Dec or before.

With neck messed up, hadn't cooked on pellet grill in a few months. Reverse seared a cowboy ribeye last weekend (wife and I split, with enough left over that she's going to use on a salad tonight).

This weekend going to do ribs for first time since Dec or before.

Nice! I’ve been pretty low key on the traeger since Super Bowl.. time to get at it for me too…

16. The Following User High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

It's Tuesday Pizza night from Papa Murphy's! ($10/each for two large specialty pizzas)

I've mastered the art of cooking them on the pellet grill.

Sorry, but that's the extent of my cooking ability. I'm more of an expert in the clean up area and I'm too damn old to try to learn how to cook.

18. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    It's Tuesday Pizza night from Papa Murphy's! ($10/each for two large specialty pizzas)

I've mastered the art of cooking them on the pellet grill.

Sorry, but that's the extent of my cooking ability. I'm more of an expert in the clean up area and I'm too damn old to try to learn how to cook.
    Hahah. Ans never too old! You just have to want to try, and enjoy it

I had a debate with the guy at lowe's two days ago... I had convinced my parents to get an oklahoma joe smoker, he was bound and determined to talk them into a pellet smoker. Nothing wrong with them, they are easy and convenient, but for me, preference is a box smoker.

Don't regret the results from my purchase of a non-pellet smoker. (though again, nothing against them, I just enjoy cooking with actual wood chunks.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	340370094_745149713774140_8169846923644029107_n.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	21299

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I had a debate with the guy at lowe's two days ago... I had convinced my parents to get an oklahoma joe smoker, he was bound and determined to talk them into a pellet smoker. Nothing wrong with them, they are easy and convenient, but for me, preference is a box smoker.

Don't regret the results from my purchase of a non-pellet smoker. (though again, nothing against them, I just enjoy cooking with actual wood chunks.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	340370094_745149713774140_8169846923644029107_n.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	21299
    At the end of the day it's about what you enjoy doing. If you enjoy tending to the firebox and working at it, awesome, you do you. The results, when people know what they're doing, are great no matter the choice. It's like asking a fisherman if they prefer fly fishing or just regular fishing. As long as you're out fishing, does it really matter?

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information