Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: Pellet smokers

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Canada, eh
    Posts
    828

    Default

    I’ve been using a traeger for 10 years or so now… about to buy my second one really soon…

    I’ll never go back to gas BBQ.

    There are a lot of brands out there now, besides traeger, so there will be some research to do…and you will find a lot of brand loyalty, and a lot of opinion on this subject.

  2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:


  3. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George
    Posts
    28,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I would highly recommend one (or two) of these as well. Pellet smokers are great for what Davii described. Set the temp, and walk away. The Woodwind has a mode where you can control the smoke. If you want more smoke, there is a higher amount of temp deviation, because smoke happens when it's smouldering, not burning hot, so they raise temp a bit more than needed, let it drop a bit below target (that's where most smoke happens on the way down) and then raise temp again. Even with that method, you get nowhere near as much smoke as an offset smoker.

    That's where the pellet tube comes in. I saw these used on a number of my favorite smoking youtube channels, and love it. They are meant to load with pellets, and work great with pellets, but what I do instead for better smoke, is load a handful or two of pellets, then some real wood chips, then a couple handful of pellets, and more wood chips, until the tube is filled.

    Then, lay it on the lower grate of the pellet grill, hold a butane or propane torch on it for a minute or so to get the pellets near the end burning well. Let it burn for a couple minutes, and then blow it out. It will provide smoke for a couple to few hours. Adding this, gives you smoke closer to an offset, but still with the ease of a pellet grill.

    https://www.amazon.com/LIZZQ-Premium...6ZZRR7XD&psc=1

    I use a similar tube on my BGE. I soak chips really well and then stuff it as full as I can and put it right in the middle of the charcoal. It smokes evenly for a long time.

    The one I use is more like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ignite-Chip-T...%2C1104&sr=8-5

    I use this in addition to larger chunks in with the charcoal.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Westbrook is already a HoFer.

  4. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:


  5. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    It depends
    Posts
    16,944

    Default

    Woodwind is in the garage. I have to prep the location for it and then assemble. Unfortunately the weather is crap and I have had the flu since Saturday. T you will be my go to recipe tip guy!

  6. The Following 2 Users High Fived PatriotsGuy For This Post:


  7. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    It depends
    Posts
    16,944

    Default

    Oh and you too Davii, pellet smoker recipes/techniques. I will let you know when I am up and running.

  8. The Following User High Fived PatriotsGuy For This Post:


  9. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Canada, eh
    Posts
    828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotsGuy View Post
    Oh and you too Davii, pellet smoker recipes/techniques. I will let you know when I am up and running.
    I have a good brisket rub, and a rib rub/sauce recipe if you like… and a few other I really like.

  10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:


  11. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    It depends
    Posts
    16,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiemac87 View Post
    I have a good brisket rub, and a rib rub/sauce recipe if you like… and a few other I really like.
    Of course! I have not really smoked a brisket because that long a smoke was difficult on my propane smoker. Can’t wait to give it a try!

  12. The Following User High Fived PatriotsGuy For This Post:


  13. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Evergreen State
    Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey
    Posts
    1,543

    Default

    I have a pit boss vertical pellet smoker I bought a couple years ago... absolutely love it! Easy maintenance and large enough volume to hold a lot of meat. I've done ribs, tri-tip, brisket, chicken and pork butt on it so far. Next up is a corned beef brisket...found a killer recipe on youtube

  14. The Following User High Fived Reidman For This Post:


  15. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Adopted Bronco:
    DT
    Posts
    39,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotsGuy View Post
    Of course! I have not really smoked a brisket because that long a smoke was difficult on my propane smoker. Can’t wait to give it a try!
    I skipped brisket for years for the same reason, just very complex with propane or offset smokers. Pellet? So easy man, set your temp and go take a nap.

    I make consistent, very good brisket. I’ve made a couple amazing briskets on my offset smoker and more that were sub-par from inconsistent temps, flareups, etc.

    The pellet smoker lets you dial in a recipe, temp, time, etc and really focus on what would make it better next time. My favorite meal in the smoker is still pulled pork but brisket has surpassed everything else.

  16. The Following 3 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:


  17. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    66,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotsGuy View Post
    Woodwind is in the garage. I have to prep the location for it and then assemble. Unfortunately the weather is crap and I have had the flu since Saturday. T you will be my go to recipe tip guy!
    Make sure that you follow the directions in terms of running it 30 minutes at 300 degrees, or something like that (says it in manual) to make sure paint/finish is fully cured. I think it's my normal, crank to as high as it will go and burn off any manufacturing grease/crud that messed up my finish. Didn't notice those instructions until later.

    Can't remember if I posted in here (I know I did in the how do you like your meat thread), but I think these are three great resources. The first two put up one or two recipes a week. Most of the new things I try are from them. In general, if I'm doing something I haven't done before, I search youtube and focus on the videos with high view counts, but most basic and not so basic things these three will cover.

    Hey Grill Hey: Website/app and youtube channel. Great for basic recipes/techniques (spatchcocked turkey, standing rib roast, 3-2-1 ribs, etc.)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/Heygrillhey

    All things BBQ. Some great, slightly more complex, unique takes on BBQ favorites. His pork ragu is great. He's also got a great pork butt burnt ends (poor man's burnt ends). Just a ton of great recipes.
    allthingsbbq - YouTube (He's got great recipes, I've watched more than I've made).

    How to BBQ right. Mostly traditional recipes, focusing on "competition style" approaches to ribs, butts, etc., but also plenty of unique recipes as well.
    HowToBBQRight - YouTube


    Personally, the last few times I've made ribs, I've done a 3-2-1 type, but just dry rub and apple cider vinegar.

    Cover ribs in mustard (either yellow, but have also used some big ricks spicy mustard bought from All Things BBQ), then a couple layers of rubs (whatever you like). Cook at 225 for three hours or until the rub is mostly set. I use a pellet tube (or two) to get some extra smoke during this time.

    Then, I lay them bone side down on aluminum foil, and put some apple cider vinegar in the bottom. Maybe 1/4 of a cup. Don't measure, just pull the sides of the aluminum foil up to make a boat of sorts, and pour in until there is 1/4" or so of liquid. wrap them tightly and put back on the smoker for two hours.

    At the end of the two hours, I unwrap (beware of steam escaping), and put them back on the pellet grill for 30-45 minutes. Here, I've done it both ways, left them dry and either eaten them dry or with sauce on the side when serving, or when putting them on the drill for this last step, baste with some BBQ sauce or glaze, and then leave on until it sets up.

    I've found I'm getting ribs that allow the bones to be pulled out cleanly, but the meat isn't mushy. It still has firmness when you bite into them.

  18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:


  19. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    66,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    I skipped brisket for years for the same reason, just very complex with propane or offset smokers. Pellet? So easy man, set your temp and go take a nap.

    I make consistent, very good brisket. I’ve made a couple amazing briskets on my offset smoker and more that were sub-par from inconsistent temps, flareups, etc.

    The pellet smoker lets you dial in a recipe, temp, time, etc and really focus on what would make it better next time. My favorite meal in the smoker is still pulled pork but brisket has surpassed everything else.
    Check this out.

    Smoked Pork Ragu | The Sauce by All Things Barbecue (atbbq.com)

    I've both made the ragu mostly as he describes, and then we eat it over pasta, on it's own, etc. But, I've also used mostly the early part of his recipe where you cube up the pork butt and put the seasoning on it, and then eaten the pork chunks kind of carnitas style. I say carnitas style in the sense the pork chunks have an almost carnitas fried taste/texture, come right off the smoker.

    I think last time I started with a whole butt. Cubed it all, and coated in his paste recipe (didn't buy his smoke on wheels liquid, as it has dairy, but looked the ingredients and used most of the same to make my paste), and then cooked all the pork. Some of it we ate right off the smoker, and some went into the dutch oven for Ragu. Wife then portions up the ragu, used a food saver/vacuum sealer, and throws two person servings in the freezer (same thing we do with pulled pork, etc.).

  20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:


  21. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    It depends
    Posts
    16,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Make sure that you follow the directions in terms of running it 30 minutes at 300 degrees, or something like that (says it in manual) to make sure paint/finish is fully cured. I think it's my normal, crank to as high as it will go and burn off any manufacturing grease/crud that messed up my finish. Didn't notice those instructions until later.

    Can't remember if I posted in here (I know I did in the how do you like your meat thread), but I think these are three great resources. The first two put up one or two recipes a week. Most of the new things I try are from them. In general, if I'm doing something I haven't done before, I search youtube and focus on the videos with high view counts, but most basic and not so basic things these three will cover.

    Hey Grill Hey: Website/app and youtube channel. Great for basic recipes/techniques (spatchcocked turkey, standing rib roast, 3-2-1 ribs, etc.)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/Heygrillhey

    All things BBQ. Some great, slightly more complex, unique takes on BBQ favorites. His pork ragu is great. He's also got a great pork butt burnt ends (poor man's burnt ends). Just a ton of great recipes.
    allthingsbbq - YouTube (He's got great recipes, I've watched more than I've made).

    How to BBQ right. Mostly traditional recipes, focusing on "competition style" approaches to ribs, butts, etc., but also plenty of unique recipes as well.
    HowToBBQRight - YouTube


    Personally, the last few times I've made ribs, I've done a 3-2-1 type, but just dry rub and apple cider vinegar.

    Cover ribs in mustard (either yellow, but have also used some big ricks spicy mustard bought from All Things BBQ), then a couple layers of rubs (whatever you like). Cook at 225 for three hours or until the rub is mostly set. I use a pellet tube (or two) to get some extra smoke during this time.

    Then, I lay them bone side down on aluminum foil, and put some apple cider vinegar in the bottom. Maybe 1/4 of a cup. Don't measure, just pull the sides of the aluminum foil up to make a boat of sorts, and pour in until there is 1/4" or so of liquid. wrap them tightly and put back on the smoker for two hours.

    At the end of the two hours, I unwrap (beware of steam escaping), and put them back on the pellet grill for 30-45 minutes. Here, I've done it both ways, left them dry and either eaten them dry or with sauce on the side when serving, or when putting them on the drill for this last step, baste with some BBQ sauce or glaze, and then leave on until it sets up.

    I've found I'm getting ribs that allow the bones to be pulled out cleanly, but the meat isn't mushy. It still has firmness when you bite into them.
    Thanks for all the info! I have done 3-2-1 many times but not on the pellet smoker. I am definitely going to get a tube and can't wait to get a brisket going. What is that, a 10 hour smoke?

  22. The Following User High Fived PatriotsGuy For This Post:


  23. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Adopted Bronco:
    DT
    Posts
    39,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotsGuy View Post
    Thanks for all the info! I have done 3-2-1 many times but not on the pellet smoker. I am definitely going to get a tube and can't wait to get a brisket going. What is that, a 10 hour smoke?
    Figure 60-90 mins per pound at 225. Nice thing? You can see the temp without opening the grill

  24. The Following 3 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:


  25. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Canada, eh
    Posts
    828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Figure 60-90 mins per pound at 225. Nice thing? You can see the temp without opening the grill
    I do 90 min per pound for a 6 pound brisket…it s a weird thing that when you hit 10 ish pounds it comes closer to 1 hour per pound ….

    As Davii has said. There is a lot fail,before you find what you like with brisket

  26. The Following 2 Users High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:


  27. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George
    Posts
    28,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotsGuy View Post
    Of course! I have not really smoked a brisket because that long a smoke was difficult on my propane smoker. Can’t wait to give it a try!
    There's an old BBQ thread with techniques/recipes etc.: http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/...arbecue-Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Westbrook is already a HoFer.

  28. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:


Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cops shoot and kill 12 year old with pellet gun in park
    By weazel in forum What's on your Mind (Chit Chat)
    Replies: 228
    Last Post: 12-30-2015, 08:31 AM
  2. Colorado’s Embree puts down hammer after pellet gun incident
    By Denver Native (Carol) in forum High School and College
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-08-2012, 12:58 PM
  3. a good thread for tar smokers
    By Escobar in forum What's on your Mind (Chit Chat)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-26-2007, 06:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group