Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Pellet smokers

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Not vinegar, just straight cider. I’ve used regular and alcoholic, I prefer alcoholic
    Was wondering if that's what you meant. Hmmm, maybe I'll drive 15 counties over to find some alcoholic cider...

I guess when you figure the calories of a butt, adding something with a bit of sweetness isn't doing much to the calorie profile.

Will need to try some injections in the future, cider like you describe, and a mix like EddieMac gave a recipe for.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Was wondering if that's what you meant. Hmmm, maybe I'll drive 15 counties over to find some alcoholic cider...

I guess when you figure the calories of a butt, adding something with a bit of sweetness isn't doing much to the calorie profile.

Will need to try some injections in the future, cider like you describe, and a mix like EddieMac gave a recipe for.
    Straight apple juice works really well also. I even once used a mix of Jack Daniel’s and apple juice to inject, really came out good. I think the alcoholic cider works so well because of the flavor but more the alcohol and carbonation serve to tenderize the meat and change up the flavor profile a bit.

Try taking some Bourbon, brown sugar (2:1 ratio) butter and apple juice, get it all going in a sauce pan and inject your pork butt with that. I bet you it’ll be awesome. That’s my next pork butt, just decided.

Straight apple juice works really well also. I even once used a mix of Jack Daniel’s and apple juice to inject, really came out good. I think the alcoholic cider works so well because of the flavor but more the alcohol and carbonation serve to tenderize the meat and change up the flavor profile a bit.

Try taking some Bourbon, brown sugar (2:1 ratio) butter and apple juice, get it all going in a sauce pan and inject your pork butt with that. I bet you it’ll be awesome. That’s my next pork butt, just decided.
    I need to restock on some things. When I decided to cook it on Saturday (tested positive again, so cancelled my Mustang break in drive), I didn't have any apple juice, or any juice, in the house. I'll be better prepared next time and either try some cider or if I can't locate any, maybe some apple juice/bourbon like you say. I have some not too expensive bourbon I've bought for when we cook.

Apple juice and pork just work so well together… please post the results of the bourbon or and liquor injections… I’ve read mixed reviews on it, but never how much was used, nor how long before the cook it was injected..

Taking RV up to lake today, where my sister will also be. Tomorrow, cooking some burgers (pucks that are a brisket/ground beef blend) on Saturday for lunch, and then on Sunday, have a 3lb, bone in thick cowboy ribeye. Will cook that up and split it with my wife and sister. I do the cowboy ribeyes as a reverse sear. Put some rubs on, then cook them at 225 until it hits 120, then at home sear it on an IR searing burner on my gas grill. Will need to use grill grates up at the lake, so not sure how well that's going to work. Sure it will taste good, but not have the same char I get when I sear it at 1000 degrees with 2'ft flames adding some char.

When I bought my new Recteq, they had a deal where you could get the travel one for basically half price (guess because they save the shipping cost throwing it all on one pallet), so will be bringing the travel recteq up for the burgers and steak.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

. . . then at home sear it on an IR searing burner on my gas grill. Will need to use grill grates up at the lake, so not sure how well that's going to work. Sure it will taste good, but not have the same char I get when I sear it at 1000 degrees with 2'ft flames adding some char.
    This is where the BGE shines!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200925_212820_032.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	20755

Name:	20200925_200314.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	20756

9. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

what is that? An egg with flame thrower attached?

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

what is that? An egg with flame thrower attached?

I call it my jet engine.

13. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    I call it my jet engine.
    Seriously, what is that?

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Seriously, what is that?
    Just a good fire in the Egg. It's the "Chimney Effect" at work.

As the fire in the Egg gets hotter and the hot air rises, it pulls in more air at the bottom vent, and creates a self-reinforcing cycle. More air comes in at the bottom, heats up dramatically, and shoots out the top. The hotter it gets, the more air is cycled through, the more air cycled through the hotter it gets.

I didn't notice that second picture was the egg sideways. Was on my phone and I thought that was some kind of flame attachment.

17. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Well I decided to try the craze that I have been reading about. Smoked Cheez-its

Name:	cheez its 2.jpg 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	20765

19. The Following User High Fived PatriotsGuy For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotsGuy View Post
    Well I decided to try the craze that I have been reading about. Smoked Cheez-its

I saw this! People raving about how good it turns out.

21. The Following User High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotsGuy View Post

Make sure to let us know

Wound up giving my travel recteq a bigger workout than planned (had to restock pellets at Walmart).

Did burgers yesterday, then a THICK cowboy Ribeye (3lbs, sliced up lide a roast at the end) last night.

Then, my father wanted some pulled pork (he lives about 10 minutes from where we are in RVs with my sister and BIL), so my sister ran out last night and got a small butt from Wal-mart, which is on the smoker.

My BIL would like me to try what he's done a few times, which is when it hits stall territory, put it in a pan with a cup of coffee and then seal it up and braise it until done. Not convinced, but going to give it a try. I'm cooking for them, so willing to experiment.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information