Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Pellet smokers

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    They don't get the good "fire roast" on them on a pellet smoker like you can get from a true fire roast. You get a good flavor from them still, but not quite the same. I prefer fire roasting peppers and chiles.
    Sorry, to be clear, I meant making green chili with pork in a lodge pan. That type of recipe. I've made ragu on the smoker, and I was wondering about doing the same thing with a green chili recipe, to get a little of the smoke flavor while cooking. Not the roasting of the peppers.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Sorry, to be clear, I meant making green chili with pork in a lodge pan. That type of recipe. I've made ragu on the smoker, and I was wondering about doing the same thing with a green chili recipe, to get a little of the smoke flavor while cooking. Not the roasting of the peppers.
    Oh! ****** go for it then!
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I guess it must have worked, or you wouldn't be asking about green chile, but did you actually get much smoke flavor into the ragu?

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    I guess it must have worked, or you wouldn't be asking about green chile, but did you actually get much smoke flavor into the ragu?
    Can't say for sure. It was a recipe from ATBBQ, which starts by cubing/smoking pork butt, before putting in the lodge dutch oven, which they have you cook on the pellet smoker, but not sure it needs to -- heck, can't even remember if it's uncovered. The wife loves it. I've made it a few times. Had thought of about doing the same thing with the pork before cooking in green chili, but need to get a recipe, not sure if that's a good/bad thing. Never made green chili before, I've only eaten it. So, the big thing I was wondering about, even more than cooking in the dutch oven on the pellet grill, is precooking the pork like I do in the ragu.

Also, I've used the cubed pork directly off the grill as a sort of non-fried carnitas. The pork winds up with a similar texture, directly off the grill, but obviously takes on a completely different characteristic after hours braising in the Dutch oven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piLMc2Ej1p8">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piLMc2Ej1p8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="385">

5. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Decided to make a pot roast. The chuck roast the wife picked up was too big for my 5 quart Lodge dutch oven, so decided to smoke part of it to put on salad or make sandwiches and use the rest for the pot roast. I cut off about 1/4th (4lb chuck roast) that was a shape that would be good for slicing, and put on the pellet smoker.

Then, I took the rest and cut into 4-6" cubes, and put all of it on the Recteq at the lowest setting for an hour, with an added smoke tube with pellets and Oak chips, and a metal sieve type pouch with wood chips, to add some smoke to the meat, then threw it in the Dutch oven with potatoes, onions, carrots and a bottle+ of wine, and cooked it for three hours, while the 1lb chuck roast continued to cook on the pellet grill (increased the temp after taking out the pot roast meat).

I have a whole brisket in the freezer that I bought over the winter when it's easier to ship meat in (hard to get good local meat). I'm thinking about popping my cherry and finally smoking a brisket.

I watched an atbbq video last night, and he trimmed up the fat some, and then seasoned it with a brisket rub, which was mostly salt and pepper (I think some garlic, too), cooked it for 3-4 hours, and then wrapped it (he added beef tallow when wrapping). Then, he rewrapped it with dry paper (and he added more beef tallow) and let it rest for an hour or more, and he said often he would put in a cooler and let it rest even longer, and I believe get into it/slice it, when the temp had dropped back down to 155 or so. A lot more steps than I'm used to with pork.

How do you guys cook brisket and how long should I expect it to take? Start it overnight, or early in the morning? I believe it's around 10lbs. Do you guys rest it afterwards like the atbbq described?

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I have a whole brisket in the freezer that I bought over the winter when it's easier to ship meat in (hard to get good local meat). I'm thinking about popping my cherry and finally smoking a brisket.

I watched an atbbq video last night, and he trimmed up the fat some, and then seasoned it with a brisket rub, which was mostly salt and pepper (I think some garlic, too), cooked it for 3-4 hours, and then wrapped it (he added beef tallow when wrapping). Then, he rewrapped it with dry paper (and he added more beef tallow) and let it rest for an hour or more, and he said often he would put in a cooler and let it rest even longer, and I believe get into it/slice it, when the temp had dropped back down to 155 or so. A lot more steps than I'm used to with pork.

How do you guys cook brisket and how long should I expect it to take? Start it overnight, or early in the morning? I believe it's around 10lbs. Do you guys rest it afterwards like the atbbq described?
    I used to always do my brisket at 210, and go overnight.

However, now I go at a higher temp, and just start early in the morning. I'll go somewhere around 240 on the temp, and wrap it after it starts to punch through the stall (usually around 6 hours or so).

I do like to rest it for at least one hour, and usually 2 or more, wrapped in a cooler, and try to plan all my timing to have an extra two hours for resting in the cooler.

I do a LOT of trimming.
    Last edited by NightTrainLayne; 09-19-2022 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    I used to always do my brisket at 210, and go overnight.

However, now I go at a higher temp, and just start early in the morning. I'll go somewhere around 240 on the temp, and wrap it after it starts to punch through the stall (usually around 6 hours or so).

I do like to rest it for at least one hour, and usually 2 or more, wrapped in a cooler, and try to plan all my timing to have an extra two hours for resting in the cooler.

I do to a LOT of trimming.
    I do no trimming, it get mine from a butcher who does a pretty good job. I’m a 225 guy from start to end. And use the cooler to rest… I need to get some butcher paper to wrap it in as I hear it preserves the crust better than foil..

Next one gets done fat side down too…

10. The Following User High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Although it doesn’t really fit here… now getting ready to eat a bon mi sandwich.

Smoked pork meatballs, pickled julienned radish and carrots, topped with a sirachi mayo and cilantro.

Mmmm mmm

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiemac87 View Post
    Although it doesn’t really fit here… now getting ready to eat a bon mi sandwich.

Smoked pork meatballs, pickled julienned radish and carrots, topped with a sirachi mayo and cilantro.

Mmmm mmm
    Not quite as impressive, but for lunch, we had a sandwich with a slice of the piece of chuck roast I smoked last week, with lettuce, tomato and bit of mayo. Plain, but tasty.

14. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Not quite as impressive, but for lunch, we had a sandwich with a slice of the piece of chuck roast I smoked last week, with lettuce, tomato and bit of mayo. Plain, but tasty.
    Any smoked food is good food!

16. The Following User High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Debating going ahead and separating the point and the flat on my brisket and making burnt ends from the point, and just straight smoking the flat. In an ideal world I wouldn't cook them at the same time, but don't want to defrost and refreeze after separating the point and flat.

Debating going ahead and separating the point and the flat on my brisket and making burnt ends from the point, and just straight smoking the flat. In an ideal world I wouldn't cook them at the same time, but don't want to defrost and refreeze after separating the point and flat.
    I have never done separate burnt ends. Always wanted to try as they are sooooo good

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiemac87 View Post
    I have never done separate burnt ends. Always wanted to try as they are sooooo good
    I've done poor mans both with chuck and pork belly, but never brisket (never smoked a brisket period).

20. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

I've done poor mans both with chuck and pork belly, but never brisket (never smoked a brisket period).
    You get a brisket right and it's the crown jewel in any BBQ repertoire. Screw it up and it's boot leather. Godspeed, sir.

Brisket is is one of my favorite things to put on the Traeger, second favorite actually with Boston Butt being #1

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information