Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Pellet smokers

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    You get a brisket right and it's the crown jewel in any BBQ repertoire. Screw it up and it's boot leather. Godspeed, sir.

Brisket is is one of my favorite things to put on the Traeger, second favorite actually with Boston Butt being #1
    I’m with you on the brisket! I’ve done a lot of things on the traeger…none beat a perfectly done brisket

2. The Following User High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Debating going ahead and separating the point and the flat on my brisket and making burnt ends from the point, and just straight smoking the flat. In an ideal world I wouldn't cook them at the same time, but don't want to defrost and refreeze after separating the point and flat.
    Don't separate them before you cook.

Cook the brisket until it's ready to pull off (195 or so). Then, let it rest for at least 30 minutes. THEN separate the point from the flat, and put the point back on for another 3-4 hours at 210 wrapped, or mist it every 30 minutes unwrapped with apple cider/apple juice 50/50 mixture for your burnt ends.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Don't separate them before you cook.

Cook the brisket until it's ready to pull off (195 or so). Then, let it rest for at least 30 minutes. THEN separate the point from the flat, and put the point back on for another 3-4 hours at 210 wrapped, or mist it every 30 minutes unwrapped with apple cider/apple juice 50/50 mixture for your burnt ends.
    This. This is how I did it, unwrapped misting it with apple cider and apple juice for about 3 hours after I separated it but cooked the entire brisket together first.

6. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

This is what I was considering doing, but since this is my first brisket, maybe I'll go ahead and cook the whole thing, and either not make burnt ends, or separate it after the flat is done, and further cook the point as you guys describe.

Have too much stuff in my freezer, according to the wife, and the brisket is one of the biggest things (along with a turkey and some butts). Want to get a couple heritage turkeys next month, so need to free up some space before then.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    This. This is how I did it, unwrapped misting it with apple cider and apple juice for about 3 hours after I separated it but cooked the entire brisket together first.
    Leaving it unwrapped and misting it regularly is the best, but takes some attention.

Forgot have a company picnic tomorrow and decided to just do a half rack of ribs (my wife and I typically share a half rack of meaty baby backs) this weekend, and maybe next weekend I'll tackle the brisket.

11. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Just got a nice new roll of high quality butcher paper, and will all this burnt end talk I gotta get a brisket and give then a try!

Smoker geeks = finding good butcher paper is a WIN haha

13. The Following User High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I got up at 4:30 this morning and threw a brisket on at 6. We'll see how it turns out.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

OK, talk to me about this infamous Kamado Joe? What does that give you that a pellet grill, gas grill doesn't? I'm having some landscaping work done in back yard, including a large patio. Probably won't do an outdoor kitchen right away, but at some point, will likely convert my pellet smoker to built in (it's technically a built in on a stand), possibly run gas for a larger Ooni or other pizza oven, and either move my gas grill to that location or just go with a searing station (to sear steaks after slow cook on pellet grill).

When I look at the outdoor kitchens, all of them seem to make stations to put a Kamado Joe, and I also see it come up a bunch on some of my BBQ youtube channels I follow.

I got up at 4:30 this morning and threw a brisket on at 6. We'll see how it turns out.
    Please do, and walk through what you did? Do you spritz? Did you wrap at a certain point? Did you put back on after wrapping, or go straight to resting in cooler, et? Was it amazing? If weather looks good next week, I think I'm going to pop my brisket cherry.

Please do, and walk through what you did? Do you spritz? Did you wrap at a certain point? Did you put back on after wrapping, or go straight to resting in cooler, et? Was it amazing? If weather looks good next week, I think I'm going to pop my brisket cherry.
    I let mine warn to room temp, I inject with beef stock ( and a sprinkle of my rub mixed in ) and them rub it… as a binder for the rub I rub mashed garlic over the meat first.

I put mine on at 225, fat side up, and let it cook. No mop. I do 1.5 hours per pound for smaller ones…ans after abut 10 pounds 1 hour.

I have a meater probe and used it once. Results were great.. and the timeline worked.

I have a great rub recipe that I can share too.. more a Texas style one…a little heat

From there I wrap the brisket in butcher paper ( foil works too, but you lose some crust ) then in a dish cloth and into a cooler until ready to serve. Sometimes that’s hours.

19. The Following User High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

OK, talk to me about this infamous Kamado Joe? What does that give you that a pellet grill, gas grill doesn't? I'm having some landscaping work done in back yard, including a large patio. Probably won't do an outdoor kitchen right away, but at some point, will likely convert my pellet smoker to built in (it's technically a built in on a stand), possibly run gas for a larger Ooni or other pizza oven, and either move my gas grill to that location or just go with a searing station (to sear steaks after slow cook on pellet grill).

When I look at the outdoor kitchens, all of them seem to make stations to put a Kamado Joe, and I also see it come up a bunch on some of my BBQ youtube channels I follow.

I have a Big Green Egg. If I were to buy one now, based on price/functionality I might go with the Kamado Joe. I think they rival BGE now, and it's cheaper.

That being said, for me it's all about functionality. I can smoke low and slow (18 hours no problem), I can sear at 700+ degrees, I can grill anything, and also do pizzas (it's a natural pizza oven).

It is highly efficient with airflow. That means you get all the benefits of grilling etc., without drying stuff out.

When I got it, the primary selling point was I didn't have to have a smoker and a grill and a pizza oven etc.

21. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

I have a Big Green Egg. If I were to buy one now, based on price/functionality I might go with the Kamado Joe. I think they rival BGE now, and it's cheaper.

That being said, for me it's all about functionality. I can smoke low and slow (18 hours no problem), I can sear at 700+ degrees, I can grill anything, and also do pizzas (it's a natural pizza oven).

It is highly efficient with airflow. That means you get all the benefits of grilling etc., without drying stuff out.

When I got it, the primary selling point was I didn't have to have a smoker and a grill and a pizza oven etc.
    Is that what you are smoking brisket on?

23. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiemac87 View Post
    I let mine warn to room temp, I inject with beef stock ( and a sprinkle of my rub mixed in ) and them rub it… as a binder for the rub I rub mashed garlic over the meat first.

I put mine on at 225, fat side up, and let it cook. No mop. I do 1.5 hours per pound for smaller ones…ans after abut 10 pounds 1 hour.

I have a meater probe and used it once. Results were great.. and the timeline worked.

I have a great rub recipe that I can share too.. more a Texas style one…a little heat

From there I wrap the brisket in butcher paper ( foil works too, but you lose some crust ) then in a dish cloth and into a cooler until ready to serve. Sometimes that’s hours.
    Yes, would love to see your rub recipe.

25. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information