Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Pellet smokers

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Haven't done a brisket yet. Not a huge fan of brisket, although one I had up in Branson a few years ago was really good.
    Have you done tri tip? We usually don’t get that around here but we found and bought a couple.

2. The Following User High Fived PatriotsGuy For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotsGuy View Post
    Have you done tri tip? We usually don’t get that around here but we found and bought a couple.
    I haven't. Seen a number of videos about cooking them (haven't watched, but seen them pop up) and where I buy meat (mail order, no good meat around here). Historically, I haven't been a fan of beef. It was only after getting pellet grill and reverse searing THICK cowboy ribeyes, have I started to get a taste for beef.

Decided to upgrade my grill, since my camp chef has paint peeling and stuff and also getting a bigger one. Just had a Recteq delivered. Will be out of town over the 4th, so not sure if I'll put it together and get it outside this weekend or next.

All stainless and bigger. Can start, shut down and control temp from app (camp chef only change temp/smoke). It can also achieve temps over 700 degrees, so while it doesn't have the direct flame mode like the camp chef with grill/sear grates installed and 700 degree capable, should actually be able to sear on it.

Been very happy with my Camp Chef, but decide to upgrade since we are using it more and more.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

The Traeger is going to get a workout this coming weekend!!!’

6. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Trip report - brisket was pretty dry and salty but I think I know why. I used an equal amount of Meat Church Holy Cow and Holy Gospel. Next time I will leave out Holy Cow that is where the saltiness originated from. Mistake number 2, I started it at 200 thinking that due to it’s size I had plenty of time (it went on at 11am), it was taking forever to get to 165 to crutch it so I cranked it to 225 then to 250. For the next one I will run the entire time at 250 and probably start it at 8 or 8:30 am.
    I know! Maybe it was just a crappy brisket. I have another slightly larger (3.5) to experiment with.

You'll have better luck keeping it from drying out if you do the whole packer-trimmed brisket. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    You'll have better luck keeping it from drying out if you do the whole packer-trimmed brisket. Just my two cents.
    Been wanting to try a full brisket, with point, to do both burnt ends and brisket, but haven't gotten around to it. Love burnt ends like a place in Branson makes, but not huge brisket fan, but one of these days I'll try it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Been wanting to try a full brisket, with point, to do both burnt ends and brisket, but haven't gotten around to it. Love burnt ends like a place in Branson makes, but not huge brisket fan, but one of these days I'll try it.

It takes lots of practice. I ruined plenty of briskets before I finally figured it out.

As expensive as brisket is these days, I hate to even talk to folks about "practicing" on them. I love brisket, but rarely have a good reason to cook that much food. My younger boys aren't into BBQ yet, and between me, my wife and daughter, it takes a long damn time to work through a brisket. End up freezing a good portion of it.

Aaron Franklin's cookbook was a big help in finally perfecting brisket.

It takes lots of practice. I ruined plenty of briskets before I finally figured it out.

As expensive as brisket is these days, I hate to even talk to folks about "practicing" on them. I love brisket, but rarely have a good reason to cook that much food. My younger boys aren't into BBQ yet, and between me, my wife and daughter, it takes a long damn time to work through a brisket. End up freezing a good portion of it.

Aaron Franklin's cookbook was a big help in finally perfecting brisket.
    That's why I've been hesitating. Expensive, and not a huge brisket fan. So while I feel like I "should" know how to make a brisket, and would love to make some burnt ends (I like it, my father loves them), I've hesitated.

Yesterday's cook

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smoke.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	20528

12. The Following 5 Users High Fived PatriotsGuy For This Post:

Was at an RV park this past weekend and made some dry rub ribs on a portable pellet grill.

I'm REALLY liking this Memphis style dry rub from Hey Grill Hey.

3 Tablespoons smoked paprika
    3 Tablespoons kosher salt
    1 Tablespoon black pepper
    2 Tablespoons brown sugar
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon celery seed
    1 teaspoon mustard powder

Memphis Dry Rub - Hey Grill, Hey (heygrillhey.com)

Put a little olive oil on ribs as binder, sprinkled the dry rub. Cooked at 275, and spritzed with apple cider vinegar every 30 minutes. Baby backs were done in about 3:30 and really good. I think this is going to be our go to standard baby back recipe. I'm sure we'll switch it up with some 3-2-1 and sauced ribs, but these are really good, and I think we'll make these more times than not.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Had a bad controller on the new Recteq, which I just got swapped mid week, so am doing a butt today. Going to attempt to not wrap it and cook without opening the lid until it comes up to temp. No spritzing, nothing. Want to see how the meat is if I let it get a really hard bark.

Got a later start than expected. Had planned to take the new Mustang for a break in drive and go to lunch with wife, but Covid came back, so won't go to a restaraunt and decided to do the butt today instead of tomorrow, but would have started about 90 minutes earlier if it I did it on Sunday.

If stall lasts too long in a couple hours, than I might need to wrap to make sure we can eat it tonight.

Cooking a little higher temp than I normally do, have it set to 275.

16. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Just did an 18 hour cook on 10 LB pork shoulder on my 10+ year old traeger… still as consistent as the day I bought it…a little beat up but what a machine…. I dread the day I have to replace it..

Did an injection for the first time with pork - some apple juice, apple cider vinegar, melted butter and worscheschire sauce…. And rubbed it as well… really great depth of flavour in the meat…
    Last edited by Eddiemac87; 08-06-2022 at 02:06 PM.

18. The Following User High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiemac87 View Post
    Just did an 18 hour cook on 10 LB pork shoulder on my 10+ year old traeger… still as consistent as the day I bought it…a little beat up but what a machine…. I dread the day I have to replace it..

Did an injection for the first time with pork - some apple juice, apple cider vinegar, melted butter and worscheschire sauce…. And rubbed it as well… really great depth of flavour in the meat…
    I thought about injecting, but didn't really have good ingredients for it.

What temp for that length cook?

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I thought about injecting, but didn't really have good ingredients for it.

What temp for that length cook?
    I would bet 210.

I would bet 210.
    If not even a tad lower.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information