Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pellet smokers

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotsGuy View Post
    Alright the pellet smoker has been put together and I did the burn in yesterday. First smoke tomorrow and we're doing chicken pieces, drums thighs and breasts. I am loosely following this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6GDALpfH7g (thanks TNED). Any suggestions?
    Haven't done much individual chicken, but I would say try not to open it too much. Take your best guess at how long it will take and keep it closed until then and then check temps.

Not sure what Malcolm says in the video, but with chicken sometimes we do a light coat of olive oil before putting the rub on to help it stick and get the skin a bit more golden.

Also, on my woodwind, I typically crank the smoke up to 10. The temperature will vary more (computer raises temp above your set point and then let's is smolder and smoke until it's below it and then raises temp again).

These are expensive, but you will see most of the BBQ types using them. They are fast and reliable. This is the current model, but they are closing out the "classice" (formally called mk4) for about $20 less. I recommend getting a good instant read thermometer.

Thermapen ONE | ThermoWorks

I also use a third party temperature controller over the one built into the woodwind (for checking temp of butts and stuff over course of smoking/cooking). I had multiple probes fail, and so just spent the money on a highly recommended stand along unit. A bonus, if the weather is bad and we do something in the oven, I use it in that (drawing a blank on the name of the one I got).

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

I'm going to do a turkey, probably tomorrow. I'll spatchcock it (cut backbone out) and just rub some olive oil on it, and then sprinkle a couple chicken/poultry type rubs on it and then smoke it for four hours or so. Turkey comes out great. Personally, I think much better than the deep-fried turkeys by cousin and brother-in-law make at Thanksgiving. The olive oil helps crisp up the skin, and cooking it low and slow, has resulted in nice, moist meet.

I'll put a couple smoke tubes in with a mixture of pellets and chips (haven't decided on the wood chips yet) to give it some extra smoke.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Haven't done much individual chicken, but I would say try not to open it too much. Take your best guess at how long it will take and keep it closed until then and then check temps.

Not sure what Malcolm says in the video, but with chicken sometimes we do a light coat of olive oil before putting the rub on to help it stick and get the skin a bit more golden.

Also, on my woodwind, I typically crank the smoke up to 10. The temperature will vary more (computer raises temp above your set point and then let's is smolder and smoke until it's below it and then raises temp again).

These are expensive, but you will see most of the BBQ types using them. They are fast and reliable. This is the current model, but they are closing out the "classice" (formally called mk4) for about $20 less. I recommend getting a good instant read thermometer.

Thermapen ONE | ThermoWorks

I also use a third party temperature controller over the one built into the woodwind (for checking temp of butts and stuff over course of smoking/cooking). I had multiple probes fail, and so just spent the money on a highly recommended stand along unit. A bonus, if the weather is bad and we do something in the oven, I use it in that (drawing a blank on the name of the one I got).
    I have a Thermapen, Malcom does not oil it but rather mops throughout the cook so he is opening the lid a lot. I was going to spritz with apple juice and apple cider vinegar + a little worcestershire

Edit: he is using an offset with oak posts for wood

6. The Following User High Fived PatriotsGuy For This Post:

I have a Thermapen, Malcom does not oil it but rather mops throughout the cook so he is opening the lid a lot. I was going to spritz with apple juice and apple cider vinegar + a little worcestershire
    I made some dry ribs (just half a rack for wife and I to split) last weekend, and put the rub on completely dry (historically have used mustard) and then spritzed with apple cider vinegar every 45 minutes or so. It was a new hey grill hey recipe, supposedly Memphis style dry rub. No wrapping, cooked at higher temp (275) and spritzed.

If you are going with a mop/spritz, you do need to open of course. I would just try and minimize. Figure out your cadence (every 30, 45 or 60) and try and resist peeking in between to keep the heat up and smoke circulating.

Can't remember if you got a smoke tube, but I've become a huge fan of them. The pellet smokers are super simple, and I wouldn't want to mess with an offset smoker, but the pellets are low in moisture content and made more for consistent burn than smoke production, so I now use smoke tubes to add more smoke from a combination of pellets and chips.

Here's a highly rated one on Amazon: Amazon.com : LIZZQ Premium Pellet Smoker Tube 12 inches - 5 Hours of Billowing Smoke - for Any Grill or Smoker, Hot or Cold Smoking - An Easy and Safe Way to Provide Smoking - Free eBook Grilling Ideas and Recipes : Patio, Lawn & Garden

What I do is a handful of pellets, then a small handful of chips, then handful or so of pellets, small handful of chips, etc, until full. I make sure the top 2" or so are just pellets. When lighting the tube, you want a couple inches of pellets to make sure it lights well and stays smoldering, and then the pellets will burn up the wood chips, which add even more smoke.

8. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

I made some dry ribs (just half a rack for wife and I to split) last weekend, and put the rub on completely dry (historically have used mustard) and then spritzed with apple cider vinegar every 45 minutes or so. It was a new hey grill hey recipe, supposedly Memphis style dry rub. No wrapping, cooked at higher temp (275) and spritzed.

If you are going with a mop/spritz, you do need to open of course. I would just try and minimize. Figure out your cadence (every 30, 45 or 60) and try and resist peeking in between to keep the heat up and smoke circulating.

Can't remember if you got a smoke tube, but I've become a huge fan of them. The pellet smokers are super simple, and I wouldn't want to mess with an offset smoker, but the pellets are low in moisture content and made more for consistent burn than smoke production, so I now use smoke tubes to add more smoke from a combination of pellets and chips.

Here's a highly rated one on Amazon: Amazon.com : LIZZQ Premium Pellet Smoker Tube 12 inches - 5 Hours of Billowing Smoke - for Any Grill or Smoker, Hot or Cold Smoking - An Easy and Safe Way to Provide Smoking - Free eBook Grilling Ideas and Recipes : Patio, Lawn & Garden

What I do is a handful of pellets, then a small handful of chips, then handful or so of pellets, small handful of chips, etc, until full. I make sure the top 2" or so are just pellets. When lighting the tube, you want a couple inches of pellets to make sure it lights well and stays smoldering, and then the pellets will burn up the wood chips, which add even more smoke.
    I have not got the tube yet, I told the wife we would need one and she wanted to see how the smoke was without it. I will probably be getting one the day after tomorrow I saw that hey grill hey Memphis rib episode and wanted to try them. When using my vertical smoker I never sauced my ribs. I prefer them dry but put sauce on the table for those that want it.

10. The Following User High Fived PatriotsGuy For This Post:

I have not got the tube yet, I told the wife we would need one and she wanted to see how the smoke was without it. I will probably be getting one the day after tomorrow I saw that hey grill hey Memphis rib episode and wanted to try them. When using my vertical smoker I never sauced my ribs. I prefer them dry but put sauce on the table for those that want it.
    I've done a few different types of dry. The last few I did was 3-2-1 and when I wrapped, I put some apple cider vinegar in foil for moisture/steam, but nothing wet on the ribs. First time we added sauce afterwards, the next couple times we just ate them dry.

I think going the route of no foil wrap and spritzing resulted in a bit more bark. I think I'll do that more often with my dry rub ribs.

12. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

I've done a few different types of dry. The last few I did was 3-2-1 and when I wrapped, I put some apple cider vinegar in foil for moisture/steam, but nothing wet on the ribs. First time we added sauce afterwards, the next couple times we just ate them dry.

I think going the route of no foil wrap and spritzing resulted in a bit more bark. I think I'll do that more often with my dry rub ribs.
    Yeah 3-2-1 is good but I used to also just throw them in and smoke them for about 6 hours (for st louis style) they always came out good. I am interested to see how this chicken comes out. I know if you're looking you ain't cooking so I t am thinking spritzing every 30 minutes. Malcom's cook was 3 to 3 hours and 15 minutes at 275 so I will use that as a ballpark. I make my own rubs, I have Meathead's book and also Smoke and Spice https://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Spice-C...dp_ob_title_bk that help

14. The Following User High Fived PatriotsGuy For This Post:

Yeah 3-2-1 is good but I used to also just throw them in and smoke them for about 6 hours (for st louis style) they always came out good. I am interested to see how this chicken comes out. I know if you're looking you ain't cooking so I t am thinking spritzing every 30 minutes. Malcom's cook was 3 to 3 hours and 15 minutes at 275 so I will use that as a ballpark. I make my own rubs, I have Meathead's book and also Smoke and Spice https://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Spice-C...dp_ob_title_bk that help
    I'm a fan of meathead. Have used his Memphis dust (or whatever is called) and we've made his Alabama white sauce. Before the pellet grill, I followed his advice for dual zone smoking In a gas grill

His forum Amazingribs is a great resource as well

16. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

I'm a fan of meathead. Have used his Memphis dust (or whatever is called) and we've made his Alabama white sauce. Before the pellet grill, I followed his advice for dual zone smoking In a gas grill

His forum Amazingribs is a great resource as well
    Yep, have been going to Amazingribs for years

18. The Following User High Fived PatriotsGuy For This Post:

Turkey about 90 minutes in

20. The Following 4 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

I have a baby 2 pound brisket flat in the Camp Chef as a trial run

22. The Following 4 Users High Fived PatriotsGuy For This Post:

Trip report - brisket was pretty dry and salty but I think I know why. I used an equal amount of Meat Church Holy Cow and Holy Gospel. Next time I will leave out Holy Cow that is where the saltiness originated from. Mistake number 2, I started it at 200 thinking that due to it’s size I had plenty of time (it went on at 11am), it was taking forever to get to 165 to crutch it so I cranked it to 225 then to 250. For the next one I will run the entire time at 250 and probably start it at 8 or 8:30 am.

Would not have guessed a 2lb brisket would take very long to cook.

25. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Would not have guessed a 2lb brisket would take very long to cook.
    I know! Maybe it was just a crappy brisket. I have another slightly larger (3.5) to experiment with.

I know! Maybe it was just a crappy brisket. I have another slightly larger (3.5) to experiment with.
    Haven't done a brisket yet. Not a huge fan of brisket, although one I had up in Branson a few years ago was really good.

28. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information