Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwayne Haskins died this morning

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Default Dwayne Haskins died this morning

First of all, tweets by journalists are meant to get the news out followed by snap reaction. His was that Haskins didn't live up to expectations as a pro. It wasn't inaccurate, just a bit insensitive.

I remember a player from Notre Dame who played d-line for the Oilers in the '90s. His best friend came down to see him in December and they went out drinking. About 2 am, they're driving back to his home when the car struck a barrier on a freeway overpass. The crash threw the friend out of the car and he died in the crossing highway beneath. The player was so filled with guilt and grief that he went to his trunk, pulled out a shotgun and killed himself.

So, how do you leave all that out of even the first tweet you send out?

Just say only what a great guy he was?
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

2. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    First of all, tweets by journalists are meant to get the news out followed by snap reaction. His was that Haskins didn't live up to expectations as a pro. It wasn't inaccurate, just a bit insensitive.

I remember a player from Notre Dame who played d-line for the Oilers in the '90s. His best friend came down to see him in December and they went out drinking. About 2 am, they're driving back to his home when the car struck a barrier on a freeway overpass. The crash threw the friend out of the car and he died in the crossing highway beneath. The player was so filled with guilt and grief that he went to his trunk, pulled out a shotgun and killed himself.

He's a still a journalist held to the standards of the industry.

The story was Haskin's death. The story in your example is wildly different.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post

You are correct, sir. It wasn't inaccurate, but it was insensitive.

I don't think Adam was WRONG as much as he could've done better. We should all be open to constructive criticism and be open to learning how what we do/say can impact others and be open to recognizing that, growing when appropriate, or ignoring when appropriate.

To your situation, no, you wouldn't ignore a single part of the story of what happened that evening resulting in his death. You should, however, avoid that he had five kids he hadn't seen in over 2 years and had never paid child support for. (I made that up and am not insinuating it's true, just making a point). Were that true you haven't done something wrong reporting the truth, but it wasn't related to the reason for the tweet, was insensitive, and could've been handled better.

Room to, and opportunities for, growth.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    You are correct, sir. It wasn't inaccurate, but it was insensitive.

I don't think Adam was WRONG as much as he could've done better. We should all be open to constructive criticism and be open to learning how what we do/say can impact others and be open to recognizing that, growing when appropriate, or ignoring when appropriate.

To your situation, no, you wouldn't ignore a single part of the story of what happened that evening resulting in his death. You should, however, avoid that he had five kids he hadn't seen in over 2 years and had never paid child support for. (I made that up and am not insinuating it's true, just making a point). Were that true you haven't done something wrong reporting the truth, but it wasn't related to the reason for the tweet, was insensitive, and could've been handled better.

Room to, and opportunities for, growth.
    One of the reason why people are so harsh on Schefter for this is because he has had several other ****ups. I will let you google them if you're interested, for...reasons.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Do we know what happened yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Si.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Not yet, police said they won’t release further details until their investigation is complete.

10. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Not yet, police said they won’t release further details until their investigation is complete.
    Nope, we know it all. Nothing could be gleaned.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Nope, we know it all. Nothing could be gleaned.
    Really? So no word on why he was there? I still can’t find anything.

13. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Really? So no word on why he was there? I still can’t find anything.
    I'm just being a turdling, Davii. Sorry

I was looking at some articles to see more information on how he died, and three articles I read have had something like this:

Washington selected Haskins as the 15th overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, but he didn't live up to his lofty status. He played 16 games across two seasons for Washington, compiling a 3-10 record in 13 starts.
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/11/us/dw...now/index.html

Are all these reporters and news outlets also breaking the rules or is it ok now because x number of days have passed since his death?

As I've seen this type of reporting following celebrity or athletes deaths many times, I'm trying to understand why what Schefter did was wrong, but what CNN and others did is ok.

16. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I was looking at some articles to see more information on how he died, and three articles I read have had something like this:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/11/us/dw...now/index.html

Are all these reporters and news outlets also breaking the rules or is it ok now because x number of days have passed since his death?

As I've seen this type of reporting following celebrity or athletes deaths many times, I'm trying to understand why what Schefter did was wrong, but what CNN and others did is ok.
    I don’t think any of them are WRONG, but there’s a better way to go about it immediately following the death.

Shades of grey, nuance, and all that jazz

I don’t think any of them are WRONG, but there’s a better way to go about it immediately following the death.

Shades of grey, nuance, and all that jazz
    Just trying to understand if the knock on Schefter is timing or what, because from what I'm seeing, many, if not most, articles are recounting his struggles.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Just trying to understand if the knock on Schefter is timing or what, because from what I'm seeing, many, if not most, articles are recounting his struggles.
    For me it’s mainly about timing. The immediate aftermath of whatever happened isn’t the time for that, in my opinion.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Because it wasn’t a story summarizing his career. It was a tweet announcing his death.

Good lord man, please don’t write about me if something unfortunate should happen. I would hate to have highlighted, in the announcement of my death, that I didn’t live up to my full potential.
    Everything I know about you is from this message board. As a result, I can only determine whether you lived up to your full potential based on what your wrote in your posts. Based on your posts that I have read, I would have to write that you more than lived up to your potential when compared to the likes of King, WTE, etc.

*Note - King, I'm just joking and busting your chops*
    Last edited by MNPatsFan; 04-18-2022 at 08:42 AM.
    Too bad she doesn't cheer for the Patriots dressed like this

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived MNPatsFan For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information