Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best AIC song?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Who else's #2 spot needs to be filled with Wood?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Very tough but for me its between Them Bones and Am I Inside. But they have a lot of great material out there even the later albums without Staley are pretty damn great. All Secrets Known, It Aint Like That, Would?, Scalpel, and Choke are other great tracks.
    Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    No way to pick one, but I'm surprised no-one's mentioned "Would?" That would be up there.

But if I have to single one out, I might have to go with "River of Deceit".

Impossible to pick though. Too many good ones.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Who else's #2 spot needs to be filled with Wood?
    Clearly yours. And Emma Watson’s for North.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

I feel man in a box isn't getting enough love in this thread. Also, insert would joke here......
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

7. The Following User High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    I feel man in a box isn't getting enough love in this thread. Also, insert would joke here......
    Agreed. If I go top 3, it's Nutshell (speaks straight to my soul), Would? (soooo grunge), MIAB (rocks the hardest, plus those harmonies).

When I was stationed at Spang, a couple of the pilots were in a band. The singer had chops. He did covers of Zep (Black Dog, Immigrant Song) and also this one. He friggin nailed it, too. Maybe the smartest, most talented dude I've met. Prior to flying hawgs he was either pit crew or driver or something for a F1 team. The other dude could have been on SNL.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I..uh...*ahem*...tried to sing the Staley chorus to Man in a Box today. In the shower. To my surprise, hitting the pitch was do-able. I could do the FAYYYY of 'feed my eyes'. I might never be able to talk again, but fugit.

But the control Layne has with the bending of the note. The -AYYY-YAYYY-YAYYD part.

That's why he's a legend, and I'm some schlub.

Those vocals are, in my opinion, precisely why that song works so damned well.

11. The Following 6 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I..uh...*ahem*...tried to sing the Staley chorus to Man in a Box today. In the shower. To my surprise, hitting the pitch was do-able. I could do the FAYYYY of 'feed my eyes'. I might never be able to talk again, but fugit.

But the control Layne has with the bending of the note. The -AYYY-YAYYY-YAYYD part.

That's why he's a legend, and I'm some schlub.

Those vocals are, in my opinion, precisely why that song works so damned well.
    I can do a pretty decent impression when I get going and have done it live a few times. Once is it though, my voice craps out quick singing Staley.

13. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I have been circling this thread - it's too difficult a question to answer, ultimately...

I've come down to the most quintessential AIC songs, for me, are Man in the Box and Down in a Hole -- kind of cliche but can't get past them. Rooster obviously belongs in the conversation - but that Man in the Box riff makes me want to run through a wall every time I hear, still. Down in a Hole sonically encompasses depression and sadness in a way that is hard to explain. They are both masterpieces...

The next tier for me, and maybe more personal favorites, are Would, Nutshell, No Excuses and Your Decision.
    Last edited by Buff; 03-31-2022 at 12:42 AM.

15. The Following 6 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    I can do a pretty decent impression when I get going and have done it live a few times. Once is it though, my voice craps out quick singing Staley.

Skills, baby.

17. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I had to listen to Nutshell to remember which one it is since I haven't listened to AiC in years. That is probably the best one. All of their radio hits are real good.

19. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I had to listen to Nutshell to remember which one it is since I haven't listened to AiC in years. That is probably the best one. All of their radio hits are real good.
    Years?!

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Years?!
    These days I generally do not listen to music that gives off a crippling depression vibe

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

These days I generally do not listen to music that gives off a crippling depression vibe
    Oh man, you're doing life wrong!

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Nutshell is the best because: 1) showcase of Layne singing in the center of his range, 2) most melodic vocals and bass, 3) the other songs don't offer the same solace. The rest of the highlights--the choral harmony, the incredible guitar lines--are gravy. I'm not sure it works as well without being a legit metal band (a la Man in a Box, Dirt), but to me I know without hesitation which piece of music they made is most effective music. But objectively, I really like Buffalo's take.

25. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Would, Nutshell, Man In The Box, Rooster in that order for me. AIC is awesome and one of my favorites. I like all their songs.

27. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information