Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Russell Wilson to the Broncos

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    No. There have been plenty of people pursued and hired for head coaching gigs that fell flat on their ass. They know he's been a good coordinator, schemed up some good plays throughout his time and put his players in position to succeed. They know he was successful under other's leadership and with others calling the shots. They don't have any idea the level of success he will see as a HC any more than you or I do.

A HC is more than Xs and Os, ask Chip Kelly, ask Buddy Ryan, ask Eric Mangini, ask Wade Phillips, Mike Tice, Marty Mornhinweg, etc. etc. etc. A HC needs to be a leader to the team, a coach to his coaches, a confidant and challenger to the GM, and at times a confidant or even counselor. Simply being a good or even amazing coordinator doesn't mean you have what it takes.

Can Josh have grown? Sure... but my experience tells me it's unlikely that he's grown in the manner he needs to. He may have grown as a manager, he may adjust his style with people, how he approaches practices, etc. but has he grown as a person, a man, and a leader?

I don't know, but I know that personal growth in things like that aren't as easy to achieve as professional growth and most times people aren't even willing to accept there is growth or change needed in those areas.
    I get that this is a message board and the point of it is to give opinions, but these feel like very strong opinions on the personality and maturity level of a guy you've never met. Maybe you're totally right, but these are pretty heavy opinions to base on shit that happened over a decade ago.

I wouldn't be shocked whatsoever if the raiders got a better coach than us and won a title before us. They aren't a team that's far away. A meathead special teams interim coach got them to the playoffs last year and in a tight first round game with the eventual AFC champ. If MCD has even slightly grown from his time in Denver, a lot of words might be eaten very soon.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    these are pretty heavy opinions to base on shit that happened over a decade ago.
    Wasn't it just a couple of years ago that he douched out on his gig with Indy? Didn't that seem like a douche move? That's being super cavalier with your word. It seems like that doesn't matter to him.

Idk man. He's shown a ton of douche indicators.

You think it's all just a bad rap?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

3. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Wasn't it just a couple of years ago that he douched out on his gig with Indy? Didn't that seem like a douche move? That's being super cavalier with your word. It seems like that doesn't matter to him.

He’s definitely a ******** coach. Smart guy but no honor at all.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Don't you think that the fact that NFL teams were still pursing this guy as a head coach despite what he did to Indy is an indication that NFL teams know something about him that the public doesn't?
    Oh I dunno, the fact that teams gave guys like Pat Shurmur and Adam Gase multiple opportunities even though they’d failed so hard in previous ones leads me to believe that the guys calling the shots on hiring might be billionaires, but some aren’t any smarter than anyone else. Just because you can interview well, doesn’t mean you’re going to be good at the job.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post

The Indy thing was bad. I thought that would make him toxic and unhirable ever again. But obviously NFL teams still see something in him worth taking that risk again. But I know it's easier to just be a scorned lover and assume only bad things will happen to him ever again.

8. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

The Indy thing was bad. I thought that would make him toxic and unhirable ever again. But obviously NFL teams still see something in him worth taking that risk again. But I know it's easier to just be a scorned lover and assume only bad things will happen to him ever again.
    He's shown success as a coordinator, it's not magical what you need to do to get a shot in the NFL. Be successful at your current role with a winning organization. Is that the right formula? Who knows. If Mr. Davis' son was so good at picking coaches he would've already won a SB...

Nothing makes someone unhireable in the NFL except obvious racism. Even if McD is TERRIBLE (which he won't be THAT bad) he will still get another shot if he goes back to BB and is a good coordinator on a winning team for a few years.

And no, it's not just one thing many many years ago... It's a sustained pattern of behavior from when he was here, how he acted, how he ran things, stories from players, how he treated Indy, and stories from former players in NE, etc. There has been more rumblings about him being a douche on a regular basis than just what he did here in Denver. Hell, there was even a lot of speculation that McD was a big part of why Brady moved on, speculation sure, but also somewhat believable based on past facts.
    Last edited by Davii; 09-08-2022 at 08:47 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I expect Wilson to have at least a 5 touchdown game against the Seahawks. 48-17 Broncos.

12. The Following 4 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I expect Wilson to have at least a 5 touchdown game against the Seahawks. 48-17 Broncos.
    God I hope so. Flight leaves in 6 hours!!!

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

He's shown success as a coordinator, it's not magical what you need to do to get a shot in the NFL. Be successful at your current role with a winning organization. Is that the right formula? Who knows. If Mr. Davis' son was so good at picking coaches he would've already won a SB...

Nothing makes someone unhireable in the NFL except obvious racism. Even if McD is TERRIBLE (which he won't be THAT bad) he will still get another shot if he goes back to BB and is a good coordinator on a winning team for a few years.

And no, it's not just one thing many many years ago... It's a sustained pattern of behavior from when he was here, how he acted, how he ran things, stories from players, how he treated Indy, and stories from former players in NE, etc. There has been more rumblings about him being a douche on a regular basis than just what he did here in Denver. Hell, there was even a lot of speculation that McD was a big part of why Brady moved on, speculation sure, but also somewhat believable based on past facts.
    I still have nightmares of us having to live through Kyle orton over jay cutler man! Cutler would have been successful in Denver.! I believe he was primed to take the next step in his development and ida liked if we’d a fired shanny but still had somebody who runs a form of his offense so it wouldn’t throw off his development. But McDaniels coming here and the first thing he does is shit on our franchise quarterback and then actually trade him was the most disrespectful thing I ever seen from a head coach. Like outta all the problems we had on the team especially defense you go and ruin the damn offense. Can you imagine how much better cutler to b marsh and company was finna get? Smh but oh well time to kick his ass While he’s in Vegas with the opps

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    We’re on the same page for sure. I was thinking a 50 burger being put on them but 48 is close enough. Seattle will be punting the hall allllllllll day imo giving Wilson the ball alllllllll ray and I believe we’ll take advantage of that running the ball wearing them down and quarters 2-4 we start hitting them with the play action off the successful running of the ball! Wilson is going to feast with chunk play after chunk plays we already know he has the best most accurate deep
    Ball in the entire league!!!!! Just facts )

Going the other direction, although I would gladly be wrong here.

I expect a slow start from this team.

17-13 Seattle at home.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Krugan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

No. There have been plenty of people pursued and hired for head coaching gigs that fell flat on their ass. They know he's been a good coordinator, schemed up some good plays throughout his time and put his players in position to succeed. They know he was successful under other's leadership and with others calling the shots. They don't have any idea the level of success he will see as a HC any more than you or I do.

A HC is more than Xs and Os, ask Chip Kelly, ask Buddy Ryan, ask Eric Mangini, ask Wade Phillips, Mike Tice, Marty Mornhinweg, etc. etc. etc. A HC needs to be a leader to the team, a coach to his coaches, a confidant and challenger to the GM, and at times a confidant or even counselor. Simply being a good or even amazing coordinator doesn't mean you have what it takes.

Can Josh have grown? Sure... but my experience tells me it's unlikely that he's grown in the manner he needs to. He may have grown as a manager, he may adjust his style with people, how he approaches practices, etc. but has he grown as a person, a man, and a leader?

I don't know, but I know that personal growth in things like that aren't as easy to achieve as professional growth and most times people aren't even willing to accept there is growth or change needed in those areas.
    I fully agree with most of this, but for some reason I feel like McDaniels has grown in the areas you've questioned. I don't know why I feel this way, but I do.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Wouldn't surprise me either. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked to see them win 10 games, fall short of the playoffs, and then regress each year until he's canned. Success isn't one season, they can make the playoffs and I still wouldn't consider McD successful coach. Sustained superior performance is the key. Stacking winning seasons, playoff berths, etc. One season means jack shit, especially when the team is 75% someone else's handiwork.

And yes, I say the same for Hackett. This SEASON can be a success for sure, but I won't call Hackett a successful coach until we've seen how it plays out over a few years or more.
    Agreed fully.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

God I hope so. Flight leaves in 6 hours!!!
    Safe travels brother! I'll be driving up to Denver Sunday, but obviously will be watching the game on TV.

22. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    I fully agree with most of this, but for some reason I feel like McDaniels has grown in the areas you've questioned. I don't know why I feel this way, but I do.
    I don't know, man. It's possible, but I really think it's unlikely. Mainly because A) Indy wasn't that long ago and B) it takes some serious consequences to have that sort of self reflection in one's life. What consequences really befell him? Sure, we fired him, but he still got paid his salary the next year, was a paid member of the Pats staff in the playoffs, had a job almost immediately with the Rams, and wound up as the OC back at the Pats right after the Rams fired Spags.

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information