Page 28 of 72 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Educate me on the New HC options. Who do we want and why?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ja’Quan McMillian

Quote Originally Posted by Mozzafiato View Post
    Regarding Hackett, refer back to his work in Buffalo and Jacksonville, the latter in particular.

Regarding Moore, too young and too green for HC IMO.
    Agree with you on all points. Moore may very well be a good coach some day, but he still needs some seasoning, imo. Should he be interviewed? Absolutely. But right now, Quinn & Hackett are the most qualified on the list.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ja’Quan McMillian

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    The one thing I did hear than made me go oh, interesting. Is that he did what he did with "no names" on the D. That he was able to get the most out of guys that's I've never heard of. They stayed competitive on a dismal year for them and won 3 games. Adam Schefter even said he's a dark horse, so his name is out there. I'm actually impressed that Paton wanted to talk to him to see what traits he has. I've heard strong leadership and I know that's a dirty word here after Vance, but true great leadership is hard to find.
    Good take. He isn’t getting this job, but neither are 9 guys on Paton’s list. Some of these interviews are purely for perspective, or for down the road. Glenn is most likely going to get fired along with everyone else at Lions prolly next year or the following year, and when that happens, do we need a DC or position coach?

I have no problem with this interview.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    No clue if it's been posted somewhere in the 27 pages of this thread, but my philosophy is we hire Hackett. 8 teams with opening and only one of them is interviewing Luke Getsy. I believe that interview is really for the OC job that he would likely get with Hackett hired as the HC. Otherwise...why else interview Getsy?? Interview Hackett for HC...Getsy for OC and if hired, the path to Rodgers (who has publicly stated his admiration for both) is easier. Assuming Rodgers still wants to leave. Even if he doesn't, you still get a successful duo to work with any new or existing QB. One of which made Bortles look good.

To continue my boredom driven theory...I think the Mayo interview is for the DC gig.
    I hope you’re right, which is a bad sign.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
    I’ve been diving into Mike McDaniels background, and had no idea that his entire career has been in the Mike Shanahan tree. In the NFL, he started as an intern under Shanny in 2005. Then followed Kubiak to Houston where he really learned the system. He then followed Kyle Shanahan to Washington to work for Shanny Sr. again as an O. Asst. and then WR’s coach.

Went to Browns with Kyle as WR coach, and then to Atlanta as an O Assistant. Then went to the Niners as running game coordinator for 4 straight years. This is his 1st year as OC. Does he call plays? I don’t think so, but maybe I’m wrong.

Bottom line, he absolutely should be interviewed to get his perspective, but he’s not going to get hired, imo. I would like to see him be a play caller for a couple of years before he is a serious candidate for HC, and the problem with him for OC is that Kyle would never let him go on a lateral move, nor should he.
    Hard pass for me, I’m over the Kubiak/uncompromising stretch zone zealots.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
    I’ve been diving into Mike McDaniels background, and had no idea that his entire career has been in the Mike Shanahan tree. In the NFL, he started as an intern under Shanny in 2005. Then followed Kubiak to Houston where he really learned the system. He then followed Kyle Shanahan to Washington to work for Shanny Sr. again as an O. Asst. and then WR’s coach.

Went to Browns with Kyle as WR coach, and then to Atlanta as an O Assistant. Then went to the Niners as running game coordinator for 4 straight years. This is his 1st year as OC. Does he call plays? I don’t think so, but maybe I’m wrong.

Bottom line, he absolutely should be interviewed to get his perspective, but he’s not going to get hired, imo. I would like to see him be a play caller for a couple of years before he is a serious candidate for HC, and the problem with him for OC is that Kyle would never let him go on a lateral move, nor should he.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    No clue if it's been posted somewhere in the 27 pages of this thread, but my philosophy is we hire Hackett. 8 teams with opening and only one of them is interviewing Luke Getsy. I believe that interview is really for the OC job that he would likely get with Hackett hired as the HC. Otherwise...why else interview Getsy?? Interview Hackett for HC...Getsy for OC and if hired, the path to Rodgers (who has publicly stated his admiration for both) is easier. Assuming Rodgers still wants to leave. Even if he doesn't, you still get a successful duo to work with any new or existing QB. One of which made Bortles look good.

To continue my boredom driven theory...I think the Mayo interview is for the DC gig.
    That’s not a realistic scenario. Unless you offer a position as an assistant head coach, no coordinator would make a lateral move like that, and I’m not sure a team would allow that either...

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Strafen View Post
    That’s not a realistic scenario. Unless you offer a position as an assistant head coach, no coordinator would make a lateral move like that, and I’m not sure a team would allow that either...
    They are promotions.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    They are promotions.
    even if his title there is OC, he's not the real OC. . . kyle is doing that job. . . if mcdaniels is ever going to move up the ranks, it's likely that he'll need to go someplace else where he can have full coordinator responsibilities for a couple years, not just the title. . . kyle knows that-- he's not going to stand in the way of one of his loyal assistants getting a promotion that will help him to advance his career. . .

as far as the narrative that denver needs an "experienced guy," i couldn't disagree more. . . most of the guys who are available that have previous head coaching experience are available for a reason-- because they weren't great at the job when they did have it. . . outside of pederson, the rest of 'em are mediocre city. . . you know who's an experienced HC? pat freakin' shurmur. . . pass! i can be patient while a bright young coach goes through some growing pains. . . where the hell are the broncos going in such a big hurry?
    Last edited by dogfish; 01-14-2022 at 07:57 PM.
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ja’Quan McMillian

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived R8R H8R For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Would it be considered a promotion to go from being the OC who doesn’t call plays to be offered OC who is the play caller on another team (meaning can the team block it)? It seems several of the OCs that we may want for HC aren’t playcallers for their clubs (McDaniel, Callahan, Bieniemy, etc). If we brought in a HC like say, Quinn and offered to make those guys the play caller, is that enough of a promotion? Honestly, I don’t know.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

14. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    even if his title there is OC, he's not the real OC. . . kyle is doing that job. . . if mcdaniels is ever going to move up the ranks, it's likely that he'll need to go someplace else where he can have full coordinator responsibilities for a couple years, not just the title. . . kyle knows that-- he's not going to stand in the way of one of his loyal assistants getting a promotion that will help him to advance his career. . .

as far as the narrative that denver needs an "experienced guy," i couldn't disagree more. . . most of the guys who are available that have previous head coaching experience are available for a reason-- because they weren't great at the job when they did have it. . . outside of pederson, the rest of 'em are mediocre city. . . you know who's an experienced HC? pat freakin' shurmur. . . pass! i can be patient while a bright young coach goes through some growing pains. . . where the hell are the broncos going in such a big hurry?
    Who is Kyle?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ja’Quan McMillian

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Would it be considered a promotion to go from being the OC who doesn’t call plays to be offered OC who is the play caller on another team (meaning can the team block it)? It seems several of the OCs that we may want for HC aren’t playcallers for their clubs (McDaniel, Callahan, Bieniemy, etc). If we brought in a HC like say, Quinn and offered to make those guys the play caller, is that enough of a promotion? Honestly, I don’t know.
    It’s a promotion, but a team is not under any obligation to allow the transfer if they are under contract. It may be dickish not to, but they don’t have to. Mike Brown did not allow VJ to come to Denver as DC when Kubes was hired. If you just happen to catch them in between contracts like Elway did with Munchak, he can simply walk away to even a lateral job. Again, Munchak was in between contracts with the Steelers.

HC is the only position that a team must allow a guy to leave if he’s under contract.
    Last edited by R8R H8R; 01-14-2022 at 09:14 PM.

17. The Following User High Fived R8R H8R For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    Who is Kyle?
    Shanny Jr. McDaniel’s boss. SF McDaniel, not NE Mcdaniels.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

19. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Shanny Jr. McDaniel’s boss. SF McDaniel, not NE Mcdaniels.
    My response was about the Green Bay coaches both getting promoted. Must be a disconnect somewhere.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ja’Quan McMillian

Broncos fans hate the phrase, but it’s true. Leadership is the most important.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information