Thread: Seven former Broncos, including DeMarcus Ware, selected as modern-era nominees for Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2022

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Seven former Broncos, including DeMarcus Ware, selected as modern-era nominees for Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2022

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Seven former Broncos, including Super Bowl 50 champion DeMarcus Ware, have been selected as modern-era nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2022, the Hall announced Wednesday.

Ware is joined by former WRs Rod Smith and Wes Welker, DT/DE Michael Dean Perry, DEs Neil Smith and Simeon Rice and CB Dre' Bly on the initial list of nominees.

This 122-person group will be cut to just 25 names in November, when the Hall of Fame's selection committee announces the semifinalists. That then will be pared down to a list of 15 finalists in January. The committee will then select a group of up to five modern-era picks as it votes on the Class of 2022, along with senior finalist Cliff Branch, contributor finalist Art McNally and coach finalist Dick Vermeil.
    rest - https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/s...a-nominees-for

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Rod Smith would've been the headliner if I wrote the article because he was a Bronco his entire career & owns all of our receiving records.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Overall…minus rod smith that looks like a weak group as far as broncos go…

Adopted Bronco:
    Jerry Rosburg

I don't think of any of those guys as Broncos beyond Rod Smith of course. Neil Smith should get in though.

7. The Following User High Fived Tbolt For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

D-Ware and Neil Smith could go in but I wouldn't do backflips for either. Rod Smith is a victim of his own quiet and smooth persona. Wasn't drafted. Never had top-end speed. No off-field histrionics. He belongs in the Gradishar/Mecklenberg wing of players who should be Hall-of-Famers and would have been if they were Cowboys or Steelers.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain

I forgot Bly was a Bronco at all.
    Welker I think of the Pats.
    Rice I think of Tampa.
    Neil Smith I think of KC.
    And Ware I think of Dallas first, with a second thought of SB 50.
    But Rod Smith is a Bronco through and through and I'll be voting early and often for him

11. The Following User High Fived ZiziLaboi For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I know this is a very unpopular opinion here, but I don't think Rod Smith is a hall of famer. I'd put him in the hall of very very good. There's just such a logjam of WRs who put up similar or better numbers to him that still can't get in.

To the argument that his being quiet and not having a bunch of antics hurt him, Chad Johnson basically has identical career stats to Rod, he had all the antics in the world, and he hasn't even sniffed the HoF.

Jimmy Smith played in the same era as Rod, again had very similar numbers, also can't get in.

I love Rod, I just don't think the math works in his favor of ever getting in.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I know this is a very unpopular opinion here, but I don't think Rod Smith is a hall of famer. I'd put him in the hall of very very good. There's just such a logjam of WRs who put up similar or better numbers to him that still can't get in.

To the argument that his being quiet and not having a bunch of antics hurt him, Chad Johnson basically has identical career stats to Rod, he had all the antics in the world, and he hasn't even sniffed the HoF.

Jimmy Smith played in the same era as Rod, again had very similar numbers, also can't get in.

With the glut of WRs with crazy numbers, Rod is not going to get in before he is eligible for one of those old timer inductions. It is sad, because he is a total legend, but being a top WR in the jersey grabbing run first days was difficult.

14. The Following User High Fived Gyldenlove For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by ZiziLaboi View Post
    I forgot Bly was a Bronco at all.
    Welker I think of the Pats.
    Rice I think of Tampa.
    Neil Smith I think of KC.
    And Ware I think of Dallas first, with a second thought of SB 50.
    But Rod Smith is a Bronco through and through and I'll be voting early and often for him
    For some reason, I thought Welker was a Giant, but you were right https://www.pro-football-reference.c...W/WelkWe00.htm

Rice was originally a Card & I was interest in him possibly coming here IF he could stay healthy.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post

Boo!

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information