Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 2 - News & Notes - Broncos at Jaguars

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
    There is some rumblings about the disappointment in the running game effectiveness until the Gordon long break away late in the game.
    The running game was fine. Take away the 70 yard run and the rest was 3.5 a clip, including the garbage time clock-burners. That's pretty solid--average--across the league week 1 (15th of 32).

Games have funny contours though. What's the score, what is the defense trying to take away, what is being set up for later?

Here's some context:

Drive 1: 5 plays, 21 yards, 3:2 (run to pass play ratio) - punt
    Drive 2: 14 plays, 62 yards, 5:9 - FG (helluva drive with no happy ending)
    Drive 3: 8 plays, 65 yards, 1:7 - Turnover (another blistering drive)
    Drive 4: 7 plays, 57 yards, 1: 6 - TD
    Drive 5: 16 plays, 75 yards, 5:11 - TD
    Drive 6: 9 plays, 69 yards, 4:5 - FG

At this point, the game is 20-7 Broncos and the defense plays brilliantly--keeping the Giants from stopping the clock and not giving up chunk plays--6 minutes that nets the Giants 59 yards and a turnover on downs. Game's over.

Shurmur calls 18 runs in getting to his 20 points, and leans heavy into Teddy. And Teddy, typically not a league leader in efficiency, punished the Giants.

This is the kind of complimentary football that the offense needs to go places. Teddy definitely pulled his weight on offense, it's a great sign.

Serious. Look at the drives after the first one. 14 plays, 8 plays, 16 plays, 9 plays. All of them 62+ yard drives unless they ended in a TD. Damn! It's a post-2015 Broncos fan wet dream.

Oh, it's just the Giants...yeah, but a good team is supposed to make bad teams looks like that, it's not a gimme. They looked like a good team.

It is pick your poison, just what the offense needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    The running game was fine. Take away the 70 yard run and the rest was 3.5 a clip, including the garbage time clock-burners. That's pretty solid--average--across the league week 1 (15th of 32).

Games have funny contours though. What's the score, what is the defense trying to take away, what is being set up for later?

Here's some context:

Drive 1: 5 plays, 21 yards, 3:2 (run to pass play ratio) - punt
    Drive 2: 14 plays, 62 yards, 5:9 - FG (helluva drive with no happy ending)
    Drive 3: 8 plays, 65 yards, 1:7 - Turnover (another blistering drive)
    Drive 4: 7 plays, 57 yards, 1: 6 - TD
    Drive 5: 16 plays, 75 yards, 5:11 - TD
    Drive 6: 9 plays, 69 yards, 4:5 - FG

At this point, the game is 20-7 Broncos and the defense plays brilliantly--keeping the Giants from stopping the clock and not giving up chunk plays--6 minutes that nets the Giants 59 yards and a turnover on downs. Game's over.

Shurmur calls 18 runs in getting to his 20 points, and leans heavy into Teddy. And Teddy, typically not a league leader in efficiency, punished the Giants.

This is the kind of complimentary football that the offense needs to go places. Teddy definitely pulled his weight on offense, it's a great sign.

Serious. Look at the drives after the first one. 14 plays, 8 plays, 16 plays, 9 plays. All of them 62+ yard drives unless they ended in a TD. Damn! It's a post-2015 Broncos fan wet dream.

Oh, it's just the Giants...yeah, but a good team is supposed to make bad teams looks like that, it's not a gimme. They looked like a good team.

It is pick your poison, just what the offense needed.
    It’s definitely a good start. Are Looking forward to seeing us cruise right through the jags and the jets ?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ja’Quan McMillian

I agree. Again, if the run was mediocre like some are saying, then the play action pass would have been a disaster. But it was there and Teddy took advantage.

The difference between last week and this week is that I believe the Broncos will actually dominate on the ground. If I’m right, then the team won’t need Teddy to be the hero like he was (imo) on Sunday.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived R8R H8R For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ja’Quan McMillian

Quote Originally Posted by Jeudy10Hamler1 View Post
    It’s definitely a good start. Are Looking forward to seeing us cruise right through the jags and the jets ?
    The Broncos should dominate the jags. SHOULD. I’ll worry about the jets when we get to them.

I agree. Again, if the run was mediocre like some are saying, then the play action pass would have been a disaster. But it was there and Teddy took advantage.

The difference between last week and this week is that I believe the Broncos will actually dominate on the ground. If I’m right, then the team won’t need Teddy to be the hero like he was (imo) on Sunday.
    The play action worked a lot because the giants game plan was to stop the run and make teddy beat them with his arm. And teddy answered the call and whipped them with his arm.

The broncos will be better than 3 yard a carry, they have to be.

The Broncos should dominate the jags. SHOULD. I’ll worry about the jets when we get to them.
    Yeah your right. One game at a time.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Gotta give credit to Shurmur. I'm happy to do so despite being a skeptic!

What would thrill me this weekend would be a more run-heavy playcall ratio with steady results.

Even better? A trend towards unexpected personnel groupings with heavy usage of RB and TE in the passing game, with a few well-designed and set-up over the top plays to Sutton and KJ.

Looking forward to it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Just a random thought: I expect our offense to get better as we go, like most years, but more so this year as Teddy didn't get all the reps throughout OTAs, training camp, and preseason like a starter normally would because he split with Drew. To see where the offense was last Sunday was very promising as I think it actually gets better from here.

We shall see. Looking forward to the game this weekend and I'll be in Denver for the home opener next weekend!!!!

12. The Following 6 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Just a random thought: I expect our offense to get better as we go, like most years, but more so this year as Teddy didn't get all the reps throughout OTAs, training camp, and preseason like a starter normally would because he split with Drew. To see where the offense was last Sunday was very promising as I think it actually gets better from here.

We shall see. Looking forward to the game this weekend and I'll be in Denver for the home opener next weekend!!!!
    Traditionally, the OL tends to get better as the season goes on...

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Strafen For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ja’Quan McMillian

Gotta give credit to Shurmur. I'm happy to do so despite being a skeptic!

What would thrill me this weekend would be a more run-heavy playcall ratio with steady results.

Even better? A trend towards unexpected personnel groupings with heavy usage of RB and TE in the passing game, with a few well-designed and set-up over the top plays to Sutton and KJ.

Looking forward to it!
    Agree wholeheartedly on Shurmur. I never understood why he waited until past mid-season last year to adjust to Lock strengths. Anyway, I think Paton & Fangio had a serious talk with him, and made him adjust his system to the personnel. Apparently, he listened because that offense on Sunday was tailor-made for our QB and personnel. And he called a great game. Kudos.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Strafen View Post
    Traditionally, the OL tends to get better as the season goes on...
    100% agreed. Historically defenses start stronger and offenses gear up as the year goes along. I'm just saying I think we might see even greater improvements than historically due to our unique circumstances

100% agreed. Historically defenses start stronger and offenses gear up as the year goes along. I'm just saying I think we might see even greater improvements than historically due to our unique circumstances
    You better because I took the Broncos and laid the points!

18. The Following 4 Users High Fived PatriotsGuy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotsGuy View Post
    If we fail to do so, then you should be perma-banned for jinxing us
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

20. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotsGuy View Post
    Bold move, Cotton. How much are we talking? Pool, pond, or lake type money?

22. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Bold move, Cotton. How much are we talking? Pool, pond, or lake type money?
    Your new car

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information