Thread: Hearts of Iron III / Sid Meiers Gettysburg

Default Hearts of Iron III / Sid Meiers Gettysburg

Small/slim to none shot in the dark...but is there anyone here who playes either of these games? Both offer a reasonably competent AI opponent....but I'd very much love to play either of these against an actual person.

HOI III is a failry niche WWII grand strategy game that still has a very active MOD community even though the game is old. The mods make it great and playable still if you like that genre.

Sid Meiers Gettysburg has stood up well over a VERY LONG time...and has a reasonable competent AI, but not a completely rational one. I'd really love to play another human.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I'm into the Paradox games. I've played about a hundred hours of Stellaris, and I've suffered through several HOI IV tutorials, but haven't really sunk any time into the game. I keep meaning to do so, because it seems like the best WWII sim out there.

But by the time I'm rolling I have so much learning curve fatigue it's like I don't even care any more.

I used to play a bit of Panzer Corp, too, that's a nice one.

Never played Gettysburg. I used to love Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. I wouldn't be surprised if Gettysburg is a heck of a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

where'd you go bro
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Old as hell, but I loved Pirates in my youth and still replay sometimes on various platforms. Gettysburg is also a great game, but it's been 20 years or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    where'd you go bro
    Sorry...still here....

I bought HOI 4 when it came out......and it was incredibly disappointing. It is a very dumbed down version of the HOI series, designed to be much easier to play with much less micromanagement...literally drag an arrow to what you want to invade and watch it go. The one thing it does well is the production system......you'd have a perfect game if you could take the HOI 4 production system and put it into the Black Ice MODed version of HOI 3. I digress.

If you started with HOI 4, and have never played 3 or earlier...your learning curve will be STEEEEEP. Even going from 2 to 3 was a long and steep curve for me (and most) but worthwhile if you enjoy really getting down to details and managing the whole of everything.

Gettysburg, while not perfect by any means..was WAY ahead of it's time and is still a fun game to play as it has random scenario generators that are practically endless. And while the AI is decent...as you know..NOTHING yet invented, can match the wits and logic and surprise that another human can.

I'm not imploring you to ever buy the game, but if you happened to get it somehow and would like to play....let me know.

6. The Following User High Fived Zerovoltz For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information