Thread: Source: Oklahoma Sooners, Texas Longhorns on the verge of making SEC move

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Source: Oklahoma Sooners, Texas Longhorns on the verge of making SEC move

Texas and Oklahoma could make their move to the SEC official in a matter of weeks, ESPN has confirmed.

The Austin American-Statesman reported Friday that a Big 12 source believed talks between the SEC and the two schools had been ongoing for more than six months, though SEC member Texas A&M had been left out of the discussions. An SEC source told ESPN's Heather Dinich that it's inaccurate that A&M was left out of the conversation.

The report also said the move could become official in a matter of weeks. A high-level administrator said his understanding of the situation mirrors that timeline.

A Big 12 source told Dinich that neither Texas nor Oklahoma has officially expressed its desire to leave to the rest of the conference membership.

ESPN reported Thursday that both Texas and Oklahoma would likely owe the Big 12 upward of $76 million apiece to buy out the remainder of their grant of media rights agreement, which runs until 2025. A new agreement with the SEC, however, would likely make that price tag easily affordable for the two powerhouse programs.
    rest - https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...aking-sec-move

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I think this was inevitable.

Gonna be interesting to see where the remainder of the Big 12 goes. Excited at the possibility of seeing Nebraska face a few old foes again in the Big 10.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

A consolidation to 4 major conferences makes sense with the 12 team playoff and 4 byes.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

To be honest, I don't like this. Texas hasn't been a top program in football (or much of anything) since 2009 and I see them more likely becoming an Arkansas than a Bama. It also refuels the rivalry with A&M which, frankly, I enjoyed being able to root for both. Every football season will be a meat grinder, that's for sure.

I expect, if this happens, you'll see Alabama and Auburn shift over to the SEC East so you have the following:

SEC East: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
    SEC West: Arkansas, LSU, Mississippi St., Missouri, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Texas, Texas A&M

So what happens to the rest of the Big 12? If they're going to remain a conference, they have to get back up to 10 teams pronto. The favorites would be Houston and BYU. But if that doesn't happen, the eight remaining Big XII schools will need to find new conferences. My guess:

Baylor: AAC - good sports program but a tiny private religious school not in a big city.
    TCU: AAC or MWC - same reasons as Baylor except they are in the Dallas/Ft. Worth market. That didn't help SMU.
    Kansas: Big 10 - Prestigious AAU school that sucks at football but is a Top 10 basketball program.
    Kansas State: AAC or MWC - Not AAU, small campus.
    Iowa State: Big 10 or AAC - University of Iowa may veto Big 10 aspirations.
    Oklahoma State: PAC -12 - They'll need to find a dance partner to go with them but I think they will find it in...
    Texas Tech: PAC -12 - PAC would love to get a foothold in the state of Texas.
    West Virginia: ACC or AAC - WVU is not an AAU school so that leaves out the Big 10. ACC makes sense but they are viewed as ******* cousins in that neck of the woods. If ACC says no, AAC will take them or the mountaineers could possibly go independent. Interestingly, they could strike a deal with Notre Dame where both become independents who form a partnership with the ACC without becoming full members.

Who else could move?

Houston: Coogs flirted with PAC-12 a few years ago.
    Tulsa: Could step into a rebuilt Big 12.
    UCF and USF: Outgrowing AAC and might be able to snag an ACC bid.
    Cincinnati: Current AAC member who would love to join ACC.

Since the Big 10 already poached Maryland and Rutgers, might they lure Syracuse and/or Boston College to get to 16? Big 10 would like a bigger East Coast footprint for the tv markets.

What I could enjoy is a consolidation to four 16-team superconferences where the national championship will be amongst the four conference titlists and the conference championship games become de facto quarterfinals. Everything settled on the field. No politicking. No extra bids.

Then the other Division 1 conferences outside the Big Four will form their own playoff and own national championship rather than whining every year about getting shut out of the dance.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

What is CU doing. CU in the SEC!.

Would be fun to see CU vs Mizz games again

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Mizzou had a huge boner about jumping from the Big 12 to the Big 10. Then the Big 10 chose Nebraska instead. Oops. Mizzou is the only SEC team I could see jumping out of the SEC should the Big 10 decide they still want them. That wouldn't be so bad for the SEC because they could replace them with Oklahoma State and then there would be peace again in that state. Cowboy fans are gonna take this hard if they can't follow the Sooners.

8. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Why don't the Texas & Oaklahoma schools just form their own conference? The top 10 Texas schools + the 2 Oaklahoma schools would form ex-heated rivalies everytime any of them have a conference game.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    Why don't the Texas & Oaklahoma schools just form their own conference? The top 10 Texas schools + the 2 Oaklahoma schools would form ex-heated rivalies everytime any of them have a conference game.
    Because fans in the other 48 states would yawn and switch the channel. With streaming, tv markets are less important but they are not unimportant.

But I get your point. And I know a way it could happen (wrong forum to explain how). A conference could be made of Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Tulsa, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Houston, Baylor, SMU, TCU, Rice and UTEP. In theory, that is.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Had the PAC-12 invited Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Texas and Texas Tech, a pod system would have worked very well. Besides these four in POD D, you could have:
    POD A: Cal, Stanford, USC, UCLA
    POD B: Oregon, Oregon St., Washington, Washington St.
    POD C: Arizona, Arizona St., Colorado, Utah
    putting the old PAC-8 in one division and PODs C & D in the other division.

The SEC would be harder because of some of the rivalries. Kentucky's biggest rival is Tennessee. How can you not schedule them every year? Likewise, Texas A&M sees Texas as their biggest rival. How could they not be scheduled every year? I think you'd need to flip A&M with Arkansas in this example. Sorting out Pods A & B would be tough because Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Alabama all see Tennessee as a major rival. But you can't split up Alabama and Auburn, nor Florida and Georgia. I guess Kentucky or Vanderbilt has to lose out.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Why would the SEC want Texas? They’re the reason the Big 12 has so much drama. Go to the Pac 10.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Why would the SEC want Texas? They’re the reason the Big 12 has so much drama. Go to the Pac 10.
    Because money.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

You’re correct. It is all about the money, and Big 12 is willing to pay.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...leave-for-sec/

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information