Page 49 of 59 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 735 of 882

Thread: The Aaron Rodgers Watch

  1. #721
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton
    Posts
    49,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
    I think the point he is making, is that nobody was willing to come back in at the end of the 1st to take him, and also to get that 5th year. Teams were content letting him slip to day 2. As such, it's not much of a stretch to say he wasn't really a 1st round graded prospect, even if someone had them on their board that high. Love/Jamal being recent examples of teams that made a move to get a guy late that nobody was willing to do for Lock. Fans probably have this stuck in their head as so many thought we were taking Lock in the 1st and instead passed for Fant.
    This. It's not that difficult. Having a first round grade on a RB but willing to wait for round 2 to get him is way different than having a first round grade on a QB. QB is the most important position in sports. If any QB needy team had a first round grade on Lock, they'd have moved to the back of the first to get him to secure that 5th year.
    www.twitter.com/carnold744

    Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I must not be that intelligent
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Wave you a skinny douchebag fag queer boy punk ass little shit

  2. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:


  3. #722
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed
    Posts
    8,836

    Default

    This is your 2nd round draft order that year prior to us drafting lock. Its actually most likely we had a mid first rd grade on him and he simply fell because the teams picking before us didn't need a mid first rd. QBor at least there GM's didn't feel they did and the chatter wasn't loud enough for us to need to trade up.

    33 Arizona Cardinals Byron Murphy CB Washington
    34 Indianapolis Colts Rock Ya-Sin CB Temple
    35 Jacksonville Jaguars Jawaan Taylor OT Florida
    36 San Francisco 49ers Deebo Samuel WR South Carolina
    37 Carolina Panthers Greg Little OT Ole Miss
    38 Buffalo Bills Cody Ford OT Oklahoma
    39 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Sean Bunting CB Central Michigan
    40 Oakland Raiders Trayvon Mullen CB Clemson


    We took lton Risner at 41

    Pretty sure the chatter was not loud since the teams that were really thought to need one selected one early in rd 1. Plenty of teams admitted having first rd grades on Lock but they didn't need him. Its reality that sometimes the teams in front of you don't feel the same way, but its also completely possible its because they are really smart or really dumb.
    Last edited by Elevation inc; 08-04-2021 at 08:02 AM.
    2021 Broncos Lets Go!

  4. #723
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton
    Posts
    49,535

    Default

    I totally forgot we actually passed on Lock twice before drafting him. I'm sorry, but if you pass on a QB TWICE, including to draft a guard in the second round, there's almost zero chance you have a first round grade on that guy. Just look at every draft these days. QBs get over drafted and traded up for in the first all the time. That 5th year on a rookie deal is so damn important.

    If your argument is that Denver wasn't worried any one would jump them to get Lock, that just makes me even more confident the league didn't view him as a first rounder.
    www.twitter.com/carnold744

    Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I must not be that intelligent
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Wave you a skinny douchebag fag queer boy punk ass little shit

  5. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:


  6. #724
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton
    Posts
    49,535

    Default

    Looking at those teams that picked ahead of us, Indy had already lost Luck and had Jacoby Brissett at QB. They could have used someone. The Jags I think had Foles at that point? Maybe they thought he was good, but they could still have used a QB. The Bucs were on the last year of Jameis' contract and probably knew by that point he wasn't good. They could have used a guy. And that's not to even mention teams at the back of the first like the Pats and Saints who knew they'd be needing a QB soon and could have drafted the successor to their guy like GB did.

    There were plenty of teams in that area who could have used a QB and passed on Lock. Including us, who passed on him twice. I think Elway knew he was flawed but figured he was worth a flier when he was still there toward the middle of the second.
    www.twitter.com/carnold744

    Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I must not be that intelligent
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Wave you a skinny douchebag fag queer boy punk ass little shit

  7. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:


  8. #725
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel
    Posts
    79,168

    Default

    Wave is straight up wiping the floor with everyone in here.

  9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:


  10. #726
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed
    Posts
    8,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I totally forgot we actually passed on Lock twice before drafting him. I'm sorry, but if you pass on a QB TWICE, including to draft a guard in the second round, there's almost zero chance you have a first round grade on that guy. Just look at every draft these days. QBs get over drafted and traded up for in the first all the time. That 5th year on a rookie deal is so damn important.

    If your argument is that Denver wasn't worried any one would jump them to get Lock, that just makes me even more confident the league didn't view him as a first rounder.
    we passed on him in the top 10 where a number of smart people didn't believe he belonged for various reasons, I had no issues with passing him there and saying we didn't believe he fit that value, but to say we passed him twice simply because we picked risner first is dumb, we had no threat of losing him and we may have even saved some money as well lol. Its also well known quite a few teams had first rd. grades on risner as well, so maybe the board just fell our way....
    2021 Broncos Lets Go!

  11. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:


  12. #727
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed
    Posts
    8,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Looking at those teams that picked ahead of us, Indy had already lost Luck and had Jacoby Brissett at QB. They could have used someone. The Jags I think had Foles at that point? Maybe they thought he was good, but they could still have used a QB. The Bucs were on the last year of Jameis' contract and probably knew by that point he wasn't good. They could have used a guy. And that's not to even mention teams at the back of the first like the Pats and Saints who knew they'd be needing a QB soon and could have drafted the successor to their guy like GB did.

    There were plenty of teams in that area who could have used a QB and passed on Lock. Including us, who passed on him twice. I think Elway knew he was flawed but figured he was worth a flier when he was still there toward the middle of the second.
    Again you and I could maybe see they needed one but GM's are smart and dumb.....its not a valid argument. Just because the gm in front of you passed on a guy and they may have needed a QB that same guy doesn't have first rd. grades by many other teams.
    Last edited by Elevation inc; 08-04-2021 at 09:50 AM.
    2021 Broncos Lets Go!

  13. #728
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed
    Posts
    8,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Wave is straight up wiping the floor with everyone in here.
    Your such a ass kisser
    2021 Broncos Lets Go!

  14. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:


  15. #729
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel
    Posts
    79,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    Your such a ass kisser
    Oh, you have been around here long enough to know that isnt the case with me. Northman is a straight shooter, he has upper management written all over him.

  16. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:


  17. #730
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Rock of Eternity
    Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock
    Posts
    16,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    Your such a ass kisser
    Oh, you have been around here long enough to know that isnt the case with me. Northman is a straight shooter, he has upper management written all over him.
    You are a straight shooter. You always tell the truth. It is a wonderful attribute.

    Openly professing your great love of Tom Bradys ass and shit bands like Stryper? It is truly admirable.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

  18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:


  19. #731
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton
    Posts
    49,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Oh, you have been around here long enough to know that isnt the case with me. Northman is a straight shooter, he has upper management written all over him.
    I knew I always liked you!
    www.twitter.com/carnold744

    Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I must not be that intelligent
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Wave you a skinny douchebag fag queer boy punk ass little shit

  20. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:


  21. #732
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel
    Posts
    79,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    You are a straight shooter. You always tell the truth. It is a wonderful attribute.

    Openly professing your great love of Tom Bradys ass and shit bands like Stryper? It is truly admirable.
    Damn straight!

  22. #733
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Adopted Bronco:
    Rodney Dangerfield
    Posts
    2,946

    Default

    Northman is the only tough person in the world that likes Tom Brady.
    Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Message board canon: the King makes the decisions.

  23. The Following User High Fived King87 For This Post:


  24. #734
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    25,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I totally forgot we actually passed on Lock twice before drafting him. I'm sorry, but if you pass on a QB TWICE, including to draft a guard in the second round, there's almost zero chance you have a first round grade on that guy. Just look at every draft these days. QBs get over drafted and traded up for in the first all the time. That 5th year on a rookie deal is so damn important.

    If your argument is that Denver wasn't worried any one would jump them to get Lock, that just makes me even more confident the league didn't view him as a first rounder.
    Just to play devils advocate here. When we traded up to #42 (back to back picks 41 and 42) we took Dalton first because we thought he was the player the team at 42 wanted. If we took Lock at 41 then they did not think that the team would trade 42 with Risner still on the board.

    So they did technically pass on Lock 2x, but Elway straight up said the reason why they went Riser/Lock instead of Lock/Risner is that they did not feel they would be able to get the 42nd pick with Risner still on the board.
    I'm King Kong. I'm blood of the city.

  25. The Following 2 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:


  26. #735
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Steady Teddy
    Posts
    38,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Just to play devils advocate here. When we traded up to #42 (back to back picks 41 and 42) we took Dalton first because we thought he was the player the team at 42 wanted. If we took Lock at 41 then they did not think that the team would trade 42 with Risner still on the board.

    So they did technically pass on Lock 2x, but Elway straight up said the reason why they went Riser/Lock instead of Lock/Risner is that they did not feel they would be able to get the 42nd pick with Risner still on the board.
    This is how drafts work! Players are evaluated on absolute value (how valuable would they be to our team in a vacuum?) and they are evaluated on relative value (how highly do opposing teams value this player?)

    In other words - this is not a devil's advocate opinion! You are just reinforcing that Lock was, indeed, passed on twice and Risner was valued ahead of him.

  27. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:


Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group