Poll: What position broncos picking in the first round

Page 39 of 94 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 89 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Broncos Draft Thread: 04/29/21-05/01/21

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Paton is no stranger to being part of a franchise that has to compete with a superstar QB every year. Then again, only the Packers have a recent Super Bowl in that division so goes to show what a Hall of Fame talent can do. Clearly, the front office and the scouts did not feel like Fields was a Hall of Fame talent, or even much of an upgrade over Lock.

A Rodgers deal after June 1 is still possible, but will likely only involve future picks and possibly a toss in of a Tim Patrick/DaeShawn Hamilton (pick one).

That aside, Fuller and Callahan are both free agents. Callahan is always in the tub, and probably the only way all of them and Darby stay healthy is if Tebow comes back (as a TE) and uses his healing powers. Corner makes sense for later and it makes sense now. Surtain regularly practiced and played against top notch receiver talent, looking good while doing it. This defense could use ILB help, but the secondary is stacked to go with Von and Chubb.

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Hi.
    Lmao. I forgot about that post.

Adopted Bronco:

I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't like fighting fire with fire...but fighting it with water. No one is going to beat an elite offense by trying to build an elite offense to outscore them. It's not tangible and rarely works. You beat the elite offenses by stopping them with an elite defense. Yes...we need improvement from the QB position to make our defense more relevant, but let's just imagine that Lock grows even a little bit and gives us a season with 25-30 TD's and 3,500 yards to go with a top 5 defense. That gets it done. I'd much rather have a strategy to beat the likes of Mahomes by scores of 30-27 than by scores of 48-45.

5. The Following 7 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't like fighting fire with fire...but fighting it with water. No one is going to beat an elite offense by trying to build an elite offense to outscore them. It's not tangible and rarely works. You beat the elite offenses by stopping them with an elite defense. Yes...we need improvement from the QB position to make our defense more relevant, but let's just imagine that Lock grows even a little bit and gives us a season with 25-30 TD's and 3,500 yards to go with a top 5 defense. That gets it done. I'd much rather have a strategy to beat the likes of Mahomes by scores of 30-27 than by scores of 48-45.
    This 100 times. We need a better offense, yes, but if we're going to compete with a Mahomes led Chiefs we have to be able to stop them from scoring from time to time.

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    20/20 @ age 40 :bow: #oldasfuuuuuu

Listen. Homie is elite, but he's got top 3 coaches and huge talent around him....and yet, Tampa made him look like a bitch. All year, last year, I was screaming that KC wasn't THAT good, we damn near won in Denver sans a rookie dropping a wide open pass in the clutch. Fields would do nothing to help.
    Sorry but this is a homer-ass post if I've ever seen one. KC not that good? LOL. The Super Bowl was one game. Every team has a bad game. Were the Manning Broncos not that good because we got pasted in a Super Bowl? Mahomes is still the best QB in football and that ain't changing for a while. All that "talent" you guys claim prop him up let him down big time in the Super Bowl. He had what would have been 2-3 incredible TD passes in that game that went right through his receivers hands. I know fans what to think they have a shot in their division, but this take on Mahomes/KC is simply delusional.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Sorry but this is a homer-ass post if I've ever seen one. KC not that good? LOL. The Super Bowl was one game. Every team has a bad game. Were the Manning Broncos not that good because we got pasted in a Super Bowl? Mahomes is still the best QB in football and that ain't changing for a while. All that "talent" you guys claim prop him up let him down big time in the Super Bowl. He had what would have been 2-3 incredible TD passes in that game that went right through his receivers hands. I know fans what to think they have a shot in their division, but this take on Mahomes/KC is simply delusional.
    it is interesting though that 2 games where Mahomes noticeably struggled last season were when he went up against Fangio based defensive schemes and concepts last year. Maybe we just need a 2015 caliber defense again lol.....
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:

Did Manning and Mahomes have bad Super Bowls simply because their supporting cast failed them...or did quality opposing defenses play a part in that?

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    This 100 times. We need a better offense, yes, but if we're going to compete with a Mahomes led Chiefs we have to be able to stop them from scoring from time to time.
    I still don't like the Surtain pick.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Did Manning and Mahomes have bad Super Bowls simply because their supporting cast failed them...or did quality opposing defenses play a part in that?
    Sure, but history has shown time and time again that having an elite QB is far more sustainable than winning with a great defense. The teams that have won recenrt super bowls with elite defenses have not been able to keep them together long, like Seattle and us. It's just not a sustainable long term strategy. KC will be a contender for as long as they have Mahomes. Building with an elite defenses and average QB might get us to a super bowl if everything breaks right like it did in 2015 for us, but it's not a sustainable long term strategy.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Our defense looked like they were capable of stopping the Chiefs both games, and this was without Von and other injuries. The Chiefs upgraded tackle, but eventually Tyreek will lose a step (if he hasn't already) and the financial commitment to Mahomes and his buddies will make it harder to pay in other areas. Historically and even now, every team (except New England because Brady took paycuts) has run into the cap hurdle of paying the QB's guys at the expense of other talent.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    I still don't like the Surtain pick.
    I like it from the perspective that depth at CB was a need and ILB is a need and there are much better ILB's available than there are DB's. I like JOK, Cox, Surratt, Bolton...even Dylan Moses more than I like any of the remaining CB's. So we get a superstar CB and a potential day 1 starter at ILB (if we go that route) instead of a top ILB and another Ojemudia.

17. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I think you can like Surtain, understand the logic of giving Lock a 3rd year, not be totally sold on Fields or Jones -- and still be mildly disappointed we didn't take a shot at one of them. It's so hard to find a QB in this league. The big concern, of course, is that Lock and Teddy are who we thought they were and maybe next time you don't have a crack at two first rounders. There is always an opportunity cost to passing up QBs.

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Our defense looked like they were capable of stopping the Chiefs both games, and this was without Von and other injuries. The Chiefs upgraded tackle, but eventually Tyreek will lose a step (if he hasn't already) and the financial commitment to Mahomes and his buddies will make it harder to pay in other areas. Historically and even now, every team (except New England because Brady took paycuts) has run into the cap hurdle of paying the QB's guys at the expense of other talent.
    Sure, and maybe we can the defense to an elite level where we do it for a year or two. But having the QB wins out long term. Just look no further than us. We built that elite defense in 2015 that was able to beat good teams even though we had bad QB play. Then those guys contracts came up and they got paid, and we've been in purgatory looking for a QB ever since. A great QB can mask a lot of flaws.

Adopted Bronco:

Sure, but history has shown time and time again that having an elite QB is far more sustainable than winning with a great defense. The teams that have won recenrt super bowls with elite defenses have not been able to keep them together long, like Seattle and us. It's just not a sustainable long term strategy. KC will be a contender for as long as they have Mahomes. Building with an elite defenses and average QB might get us to a super bowl if everything breaks right like it did in 2015 for us, but it's not a sustainable long term strategy.
    No argument there...but if you can add young talent to the defense while you see if your QB pans out...it's not exactly a huge gamble. Let's pretend for a second that Lock follows the Josh Allen trajectory. How do we look then with this defense? Personally, I think the odds of Lock progressing are probably better than Justin Fields being ready to lead a Super Bowl team in the next 2-3 years.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I think you can like Surtain, understand the logic of giving Lock a 3rd year, not be totally sold on Fields or Jones -- and still be mildly disappointed we didn't take a shot at one of them. It's so hard to find a QB in this league. The big concern, of course, is that Lock and Teddy are who we thought they were and maybe next time you don't have a crack at two first rounders. There is always an opportunity cost to passing up QBs.
    Yep. Surtain isn't an awful pick, I'm sure he'll be a good player for us, but it's rare to be in position to draft a potential franchise QB. I think people are overthinking and nitpicking the hell out of Fields just like they did with Herbert. It's like everyone forgot that one of the last times we saw Fields his team was putting a beatdown on Trevor Lawrence's team. And the last time we saw Jones he was carving up Fields' team.

I just hope we aren't kicking ourselves in a couple of years if we're still spinning our tires in 8-8 mediocrity and looking for another QB while one or both of the QBs we passed on are taking their teams to the playoffs.

Again, i think Paton had knocked it out of the park this offseason and I'll still give him the benefit of the doubt, but he better hope either Lock explodes or Rodgers falls in our lap.

24. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

SR

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information