Poll: What position broncos picking in the first round

Page 88 of 94 FirstFirst ... 38 78 86 87 88 89 90 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 1404

Thread: 2021 Broncos Draft Thread: 04/29/21-05/01/21

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    The whole thing just reeks of a setup for a Rodgers/Watson acquisition. A lot of things have to play out before we get to that point, but if either or both are clear and available...what team has more to offer? Denver will have a top 5 defense and one of the better young offenses in the NFL and we'll be very attractive to any QB. So, it seems like Paton is setting the table to be able to make a move on either of them depending on how their situations unfold.

I don't know...I just don't get the vibe that Paton plans on either Drew or Teddy being the starting QB this year.
    I doubt the Watson legal stuff will be worked out before this season. Maybe it's an option next year if it's all sorted out at that point.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I might be a minority here, but I like that we have Teddy to push him in a competition type setting. If Lock REALLY is the guy his biggest fans here think he is, he should have no problem beating out Teddy who is a known mediocre to average quantity. And if it's just a messy back and forth thing all season where we never have a clear answer at the position, that gives us an answer too and next offseason can be all about making a legit push for the next QB.
    I don't necessarily think they were all-in on Watson, I believe the reports that they never actually negotiated terms with Houston. However - I do think Paton's desire as a new GM with a 6 year deal is to stop Elway's cycle of throwing shit against the wall and hoping it sticks at the QB position -- and the prospect of acquiring a superstar QB via trade is not an option for most teams because of their salary cap.

He has very little personal upside gambling on a QB who may or may not be better than Lock/Teddy (e.g. Fields) with a top 10 pick.

Bridgewater is about optionality. He is cheap, he is experienced, and he buys Paton some time. He provides competition for and insurance against Lock -- and then you hope to stumble into a no-brainer like Watson or Rodgers in the meantime, or you figure it out next year. But in the meantime, he has freedom.

From Paton's perspective, the worst thing he could do is saddle himself with a QB he's not sure about for the first several years of his contract. At least in that regard, I agree with his approach -- I don't view Teddy as the same type of overpaid half measure as Flacco or Keenum...

The downside of Paton's strategy of opportunism is that it requires patience with no guarantee that it ever pays off. The upside is maybe you end up with Manning v 2.0.

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

I doubt the Watson legal stuff will be worked out before this season. Maybe it's an option next year if it's all sorted out at that point.
    Either way...I still think the plan is to go big when the opportunity arises.

5. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I might be a minority here, but I like that we have Teddy to push him in a competition type setting. If Lock REALLY is the guy his biggest fans here think he is, he should have no problem beating out Teddy who is a known mediocre to average quantity. And if it's just a messy back and forth thing all season where we never have a clear answer at the position, that gives us an answer too and next offseason can be all about making a legit push for the next QB.
    I'm fine with Teddy there putting heat on Lock as a presence. I don't like the split reps. Hopefully they don't actually do that. If Teddy is taking #1's to start the year, might as well find something better to do on Sundays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't necessarily think they were all-in on Watson, I believe the reports that they never actually negotiated terms with Houston. However - I do think Paton's desire as a new GM with a 6 year deal is to stop Elway's cycle of throwing shit against the wall and hoping it sticks at the QB position -- and the prospect of acquiring a superstar QB via trade is not an option for most teams because of their salary cap.

He has very little personal upside gambling on a QB who may or may not be better than Lock/Teddy (e.g. Fields) with a top 10 pick.

Bridgewater is about optionality. He is cheap, he is experienced, and he buys Paton some time. He provides competition for and insurance against Lock -- and then you hope to stumble into a no-brainer like Watson or Rodgers in the meantime, or you figure it out next year. But in the meantime, he has freedom.

From Paton's perspective, the worst thing he could do is saddle himself with a QB he's not sure about for the first several years of his contract. At least in that regard, I agree with his approach -- I don't view Teddy as the same type of overpaid half measure as Flacco or Keenum...

The downside of Paton's strategy of opportunism is that it requires patience with no guarantee that it ever pays off. The upside is maybe you end up with Manning v 2.0.
    I was thrilled about the Bridgewater acquisition because of that precise optionality you describe--it's the due diligence checkbox you can show to the 'Board' when they look over your shoulder after you fully vet Lock (this assumes he doesn't mature). Getting Teddy does important and real things, but winning NFL championships is not one of them. Then again, Paton was there for Keenum, so maybe he thinks 'this is the way'.

At some point, he's going to need to pull the trigger on his own Cousins deal. I hope it's Rodgers and I don't see Rodgers walking away from the game if he's still balling. This team is ready-made for a dude like him. I'd go big, personally, trying to land him.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

9. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I'm fine with Teddy there putting heat on Lock as a presence. I don't like the split reps. Hopefully they don't actually do that. If Teddy is taking #1's to start the year, might as well find something better to do on Sundays.
    Look at it this way. If Vic says "Lock will take more reps" then he's being anointed as de facto starter. At his end of year presser, he said that Lock has to get better to remain the starter. This is the organization applying some heat. Whether it works or not, we will see - but they're deliberately taking a tact 180 degrees opposite what they did with Lock last offseason when they cleared the deck for him.

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Look at it this way. If Vic says "Lock will take more reps" then he's being anointed as de facto starter. At his end of year presser, he said that Lock has to get better to remain the starter. This is the organization applying some heat. Whether it works or not, we will see - but they're deliberately taking a tact 180 degrees opposite what they did with Lock last offseason when they cleared the deck for him.
    I like that they are putting all this heat on him. Put him through the ringer and make him prove it this year. If he's really a stud that you can build a franchise around, it should be no issue for him. Either way, we need clarity for what to do at the QB position after this season. If it's a muddled, split reps thing where neither Lock nor Teddy can really establish themselves all season, that tells me it's time to clean out the QB room and make it priority 1 next offseason. Either find a guy you like in the draft or go all in on whatever star is disgruntled a year from now.

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

You've been doing well bringing out some of the important unspoken nuance of the situation. It's good management to take all these steps. I won't lose any sleep about it prior to camp.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

here's an interesting little nugget. . .

After the Broncos took cornerback Patrick Surtain II with the ninth overall pick, they wanted to add another piece to their defense and tried to trade back into the first round for [Jaelen] Phillips, according to Mike Klis of 9 News in Denver.

The Broncos didn’t have enough trade ammunition to move up ahead of the Dolphins, who took Phillips 18th overall. But if Phillips had fallen into the 20s, Denver General Manager George Paton was ready to make a move up.
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...d-him/#respond
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

Saw that...what did you think about it?

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Saw that...what did you think about it?
    i wish they could've made it happen. . . as it is, it's cool to know that patton was looking at it, 'cuz i think philips is a big-time talent. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

18. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

They could’ve moved in front of Ravens for Oweh.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I was thrilled about the Bridgewater acquisition because of that precise optionality you describe--it's the due diligence checkbox you can show to the 'Board' when they look over your shoulder after you fully vet Lock (this assumes he doesn't mature). Getting Teddy does important and real things, but winning NFL championships is not one of them. Then again, Paton was there for Keenum, so maybe he thinks 'this is the way'.

At some point, he's going to need to pull the trigger on his own Cousins deal. I hope it's Rodgers and I don't see Rodgers walking away from the game if he's still balling. This team is ready-made for a dude like him. I'd go big, personally, trying to land him.
    Scary thought? Paton already made his Cousins deal.

Don’t get it twisted, trading for Rodgers is far and away nothing comparable to signing a scrub QB and pretending he’s not a scrub QB.

My buddy made a great point today; don’t look now but the Broncos are currently Vikings 2.0; putting all their assets into CB’s and pretending you can win SB’s with a scrub QB.

This isn’t by accident, they had a chance at an impact “Face Of The Franchise” QB ... and took a CB instead.

So, scary thought? This is exactly what Paton wants, and Lock is dead man walking.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

21. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

It’s a relief to know that Paton isn’t under the ridiculous impression that the Broncos don’t need an Edge rusher. But hey, at least they’re 6-deep at G.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

When did Teddy become average?
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived Canmore For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information