2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

2. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    My point isn’t that Fields is the guy. My point is that you shouldn’t not try when you have a generational player in division. You could be decent in that situation and not have a chance. Denver should go all in with stuff, like Fields. He doesn’t work? Try it again! We got a decade of Mahomes.
    So just swing to swing, pass on an elite DB or whoever year after year just swinging at quarterbacks... yeah that makes sense, we should totally not build a dominant defense to swing for quarterbacks just because mahomes is in the division.... forget putting the brakes on him let’s just try and out score him in shootouts year after year. Smh

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Quote Originally Posted by Jeudy10Hamler13 View Post
    So just swing to swing, pass on an elite DB or whoever year after year just swinging at quarterbacks... yeah that makes sense, we should totally not build a dominant defense to swing for quarterbacks just because mahomes is in the division.... forget putting the brakes on him let’s just try and out score him in shootouts year after year. Smh
    So building a great defense is predicated upon taking a defender in the first round, at a position of relative strength albeit just for one year?

Theoretically one could take a QB and then improve the defense through the rest of the draft.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Paton better hope Fields doesn’t boom if Denver has to force Bridgewater into starting, you sit there with your bat on your shoulder for 4 months and THAT’S what you swing at?
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Paton better hope Fields doesn’t boom if Denver has to force Bridgewater into starting, you sit there with your bat on your shoulder for 4 months and THAT’S what you swing at?
    The Surtain pick was great...but...this will be my take on Fields:

Fields had a pedigree going back to when Lawrence and himself were bursting onto the recruitment scene. The guy was consistently the second best QB in the country for high school play and college ball when he got his shot.

His soft factors are sky high. His physical traits were second only to Lawrence. Lawrence is considered one of the all-time great prospects ever. The summary is this: the criticisms that people put onto Fields are typically more attributable to Wilson. If one wants to argue that there were some rough regular season games for Fields (read, two) then Wilson's career would be horrifying. If one wanted to argue a weak level of competition, Wilson was basically that to the umptenth degree. If someone wanted to argue that Fields used too much of his raw physical abilities, I'd direct them to Wilson forcing throws that work in college but can't in the pros.

So the whole concept of "Fields is the fifth best prospect' argument is really, really forced. Lawrence was better than him...and almost every ever. That's not a knock. It's hard to logically and fairly state that Wilson is better for the reasons above. Trey Lance can be given many of those same criticisms. Albeit Lance is a genius and physically almost perfect, so I could understand Lance >Fields in some situations. The Mac Jones > Fields argument were always a headscratcher. They continue to be.

I think the better takes on this would be: Lawrence, Fields/Lance as a wash or tying for second, Wilson, and then Jones.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived King87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    The Surtain pick was great...but...this will be my take on Fields:

Fields had a pedigree going back to when Lawrence and himself were bursting onto the recruitment scene. The guy was consistently the second best QB in the country for high school play and college ball when he got his shot.

His soft factors are sky high. His physical traits were second only to Lawrence. Lawrence is considered one of the all-time great prospects ever. The summary is this: the criticisms that people put onto Fields are typically more attributable to Wilson. If one wants to argue that there were some rough regular season games for Fields (read, two) then Wilson's career would be horrifying. If one wanted to argue a weak level of competition, Wilson was basically that to the umptenth degree. If someone wanted to argue that Fields used too much of his raw physical abilities, I'd direct them to Wilson forcing throws that work in college but can't in the pros.

So the whole concept of "Fields is the fifth best prospect' argument is really, really forced. Lawrence was better than him...and almost every ever. That's not a knock. It's hard to logically and fairly state that Wilson is better for the reasons above. Trey Lance can be given many of those same criticisms. Albeit Lance is a genius and physically almost perfect, so I could understand Lance >Fields in some situations. The Mac Jones > Fields argument were always a headscratcher. They continue to be.

I think the better takes on this would be: Lawrence, Fields/Lance as a wash or tying for second, Wilson, and then Jones.
    I agree with all of this. There's something else to the fields piece though. Because if Trey Lance were there for either the Panthers or the broncos I don't think either one of them would have settled for reclamation projects or betting that Drew was going to turn it around. I'm not sure what all it entails but you had some quarterback needy teams that were willing to pass up on him and I'm still trying to figure out why that is. Now of course maybe everybody missed. It obviously happens when you have guys like Russell Wilson slide to the third round but height was an obvious concern with him and age having played minor league baseball. I just wonder what universally teams were seeing. Now groupthink has always been an issue in the nfl. That's how you see people slide that shouldn't and people get elevated that shouldn't as well.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I think it's a little ridiculous that the day the college season ended Fields was considered a consensus top 2-3 pick and by April fell all the way out of the top 10. I just feel like a lot of teams outsmarted themselves here. Maybe he's a total bust and everyone is vindicated, but it's just odd to me.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    So building a great defense is predicated upon taking a defender in the first round, at a position of relative strength albeit just for one year?

Theoretically one could take a QB and then improve the defense through the rest of the draft.
    Don't mind that poster King....he loves his hot takes, and loves to grandstand all his knowledge...its cute.....We missed you King welcome back.....
    Last edited by Elevation inc; 05-05-2021 at 06:52 AM.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I think it's a little ridiculous that the day the college season ended Fields was considered a consensus top 2-3 pick and by April fell all the way out of the top 10. I just feel like a lot of teams outsmarted themselves here. Maybe he's a total bust and everyone is vindicated, but it's just odd to me.
    He was going to be the next Jets QB for about two weeks.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

13. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I've said that since 2017 teams for some reason find an excuse to over evaluate certain players. Watson was a glaring example of this.

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    He was going to be the next Jets QB for about two weeks.
    Zack Wilson I just don't understand and there's good quarterback evaluators who think he was the second best quarterback in this draft. That's all fine and dandy but he's never done it against good competition. He's lived in Utah his whole life and now he has to go do it in the toughest market in the us. Oh and by the way he said two torn labrums

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

18. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I like it, cheap cost, some security, gone next year if needed.....
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Seems very palatable for a GB team that may be using a first year starter and wants a one year insurance plan.

21. The Following 4 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Teddy Bridgewater criticizes how Carolina Panthers practiced last season

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ed-last-season

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

23. The Following 4 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information