Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Citing COVID-19 concerns, Broncos players will skip voluntary in-person OTAs

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

The Mandatory minicamp in June, TC in July and 3 pre-season games in August will be prob be the norm going forward. I never actually expected any in person stuff till June this year anyway. I don't think the NFL will push back because I think a lot of the teams owners and upper management across the NFL are actually on board with this as well. Coaches might not be, but they don't run things. Unless owners and team upper management push back It's going to amount to nothing. I just don't see the worth in fighting a battle about teams not having voluntary OTA's in a what is still ongoing pandemic.
    Last edited by Elevation inc; 04-14-2021 at 02:12 AM.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Too many drops last year.

Maybe they can set up Zoom and a Juggs machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Too many drops last year.

Maybe they can set up Zoom and a Juggs machine.
    Jeudy and Hamler need more then the jugs machine, Albert O as well. Lindsay isn't here anymore so that problem fixed itself (to soon lol)

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Also so people don't lose their shit at me . I do think the NFL should push back when it comes to Minicamp in June, TC and Preseason. In that instance they should tell the NFLPA to piss off.....Voluntary stuff is IDGAFlip level for me though lol
    Last edited by Elevation inc; 04-14-2021 at 06:34 AM.

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    The league is not mandating any player get vaccinated. Technically, they can’t force them to. They are, however, mandating any team employee who isn’t a player who comes in contact with the players or enters the “players’ area” be fully vaccinated. But, because this vaccine is only approved for “emergency use”, nobody can force anyone else to get vaccinated. It’s not the same as school vaccinations or military vaccinations or what have you. Until the COVID stuff is fully vetted and approved for normal use, they can’t force anyone.
    Read my post again. I didn't say they should mandate vaccination. I said that they should wait to open in person activities until every player has at least had a chance to get vaccinated. And at that point, open it up and the players who chose not to get the shot can either opt out if they want or will still have to operate under covid protocols: masks, distancing, and the like.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    The vaccine shouldn't be mandated. Its a personal choice as it should be. The NFL can decide to make it mandatory to be vaccinated to play and as a business can and does have the right to do so, but at the moment, we aren't there yet. Also why get fired up over players not going to voluntary OTA's. Who gives a crap if they were 5-11 or 12-4. They didn't want a 17th game and a longer season, and they don't want to go to voluntary workouts who cares.....Many of them are working out on their own and getting ready for the season. The offense is the same as it was last year and so is the defense. I'm sorry but they have every right to their free time like everyone else. Its voluntary OTA's!!!!!. I expect pretty much every team to follow suit except NE lol. Nothing is voluntary there
    Well put, I think this post sums things up nicely. Ultimately not having April OTAs won't make or break our season.

7. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I'm not sure I'd say it's "sad". It's not like these are doctors trying to skimp out on treating patients or any other equally important profession. Their job is to bash their skulls in for our entertainment, and they just want to bash their skulls in a little less. Can't say I wouldn't feel the same in their shoes.
    Bash their skulls in during OTAs and voluntary workouts?
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    To be fair, the health systems just recently started opening up vaccine portals last month? Anyone receiving a 2-dose jab would not yet be fully vaccinated at this point. Reading more specifically into the player demands, it seems the frustration is that the league is leaving COVID protocols up to individual clubhouses and no uniform guideline on safety measures has been agreed upon for OTAs. During the season, players had extensive lists of safety protocols they had to adhere to. Now? The measures being taken depend on local ordinance and it creates an odd landscape where 32 teams are operating under 32 rules, and the union is still concerned about exposure while those who want a vaccine are in the process of receiving their 2nd dose.

I don't think the union is being unreasonable here in asking for a league-wide set of facility guidelines. By the time the season starts, everyone that wants a vaccine should have been able to get one. Right now, it is close but not quite the case.
    Why were MLB teams able to get vaccines but somehow NFL teams cannot? I'm not sure that's a legitimate thing.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Read my post again. I didn't say they should mandate vaccination. I said that they should wait to open in person activities until every player has at least had a chance to get vaccinated. And at that point, open it up and the players who chose not to get the shot can either opt out if they want or will still have to operate under covid protocols: masks, distancing, and the like.
    So... they've all had a chance. Let's be real here, these guys were getting tested every day while many localities were struggling to get as many tests as they needed.

These guys aren't you and I, they're the 1%.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I'm fine with it on the assumption that they are balls out improving in whatever way is smart within team rules.

It's totes fine to treat covid as a still-lethal thing. Maybe smartest would be if the team ensured 100% vaccination. Idk, this gets into some nuance and so on.

Like Davii said, NFL should sack up and lead this.

HP, my reaction was like yours but I'm giving benefit of doubt that this was based on a wise admin decision rather than player lackadaisical nonsense. I don't think for a minute that our players (who didn't actually gaf about covid protocols and if we remember that led to Kendall Hinton starting a game) are the root. Maybe NFLPA, but then it would be more league-wide you would think.
    Remember a few years back when Bob McNair said that you cannot let the inmates run the asylum? Well, here's your sign.

13. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    So... they've all had a chance. Let's be real here, these guys were getting tested every day while many localities were struggling to get as many tests as they needed.

These guys aren't you and I, they're the 1%.
    You're probably right, but we are still early enough in people in their 20s being eligible I'm willing to still give them a little benefit of the doubt that maybe their second shot hasn't fully kicked in. We're also still early enough in the offseason I'm fine with stuff still being virtual. Regardless, the NFL just needs to set a date where it's time for people to report in person, and at that point it's up to players to decide if they want to show up or not.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    Remember a few years back when Bob McNair said that you cannot let the inmates run the asylum? Well, here's your sign.
    Yes how dare the players whose talent make the NFL a thing actually have a say in things! Just shut up and play amirite?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Yes how dare the players whose talent make the NFL a thing actually have a say in things! Just shut up and play amirite?
    I said one thing, and you took it another direction.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    I said one thing, and you took it another direction.
    I was more commenting on the statement by McNair there.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

The snowball is rolling down the hill

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information